Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet clothing and accessories?

Options
  • 22-04-2019 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭

What do ye make of putting clothes on pets? I wouldve frowned upon it years ago however my little one has converted me!

Just purchased a ridiculous yet cute 'bikini' for the pup... Cant wait.

https:// thegrablab.com/collections/pets/products/dog-bikini

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

What do ye make of putting clothes on pets? I wouldve frowned upon it years ago however my little one has converted me!

Just purchased a ridiculous yet cute 'bikini' for the pup... Cant wait.

https:// thegrablab.com/collections/pets/products/dog-bikini

The question should be "Why do we need to humanise animals".

It's ridiculous.It does nothing for the animal to benefit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Dogs aren't dolls. I don't mind something practical like a rain jacket, socks if it's excessively hot or cold, or a body warmer if it's freezing and we're out and about for a few hours, but a bikini? How about some fishnets?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Honestly, as ridiculous as some pieces of clothing can be, I won't judge an owner for it. I'd rather someone do silly things that do not cause a pet physical discomfort and are done with good intentions than the alternative.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Unless you got one of those shivery little short hair thingies that needs a raincoat or a sound medical reason to put clothes on your dog...in my opinion dressing up your dog makes you a bit of a twat.

Yes, I'm old
    Yes, I'm generally grumpy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

All of our stuff is functional.. I’ve only stopped putting a coat/fleece on Bailey in the last week or so to keep his muscles warm on our morning walks because it’s so damp around here. If it’s been raining I put a coat/T-shirt on him to keep him clean/dry before going to the vets (he goes every week and we have a long walk before).. he had booties for a while too when he had sore toes and we were trying different options for pain management. Both have bandannas and Bailey has bandanna bibs as he drools with the piece of jaw gone to hold his tongue in!

A bikini would be a step too far for me.. that said one of Knine’s dogs has an old man cap which I think is gas :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

tk123 wrote: »
    All of our stuff is functional.. I’ve only stopped putting a coat/fleece on Bailey in the last week or so to keep his muscles warm on our morning walks because it’s so damp around here. If it’s been raining I put a coat/T-shirt on him to keep him clean/dry before going to the vets (he goes every week and we have a long walk before).. he had booties for a while too when he had sore toes and we were trying different options for pain management. Both have bandannas and Bailey has bandanna bibs as he drools with the piece of jaw gone to hold his tongue in!

A bikini would be a step too far for me.. that said one of Knine’s dogs has an old man cap which I think is gas :pac:

Why does your dog go to the vet every week?

Why does your dog go to the vet every week?

He gets laser therapy every week :) ... and one of the areas he gets done is his illipsoas / hip flexor so I try to keep his tummy/legs dry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

It’s depends.. there are fashion accessories as clothes and then there are functional clothes for dogs ... not a fan of the fashion side BUT my dog has arthritis and hip dysplasia .. so in the winter he has a black fleece he wears outside the house at all times (he’s black too).. helps keep his hips warm and dry (really important with his conditions)... he also has a drying coat for after his weekly hydro sessions.. as reasons as before .. and for inside the house he has little black socks with rubber grips to stop him slipping and sliding on my floors .. all functional and for a reason and not because it looks cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

It can be cute. I enjoy seeing other people's pets dressed up more than I do my own.

My two cats each have a Halloween costume and matching Christmas sweaters. But it's not really their thing, so they've worn their costumes/sweaters once and only for as long as it took me to snap a few pictures. Their "everyday wear" is a collar with a cute bow tie detail. I also have a harness for when we go on walks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

I was always a bit snooty about clothes on dogs until I had lurchers in the house and discovered the wonders of dressing them in stylish coats.

Now, I'm not saying I'll ever put a bikini on a dog, but I keep my mouth quiet about clothes on dogs. Especially since I bought a foster pup a zebra-print fleece for cold evenings....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Choc Chip wrote: »
    I was always a bit snooty about clothes on dogs until I had lurchers in the house and discovered the wonders of dressing them in stylish coats.

Now, I'm not saying I'll ever put a bikini on a dog, but I keep my mouth quiet about clothes on dogs. Especially since I bought a foster pup a zebra-print fleece for cold evenings....

I find that completely acceptable. A doggy parka looks great. Even the zebra print fleece. A bikini, no. Or lingerie :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭emmaro

I don't mind jumpers/coats to keep them warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

I've a lurcher, dog coat is essential when it's raining/cold/damp.

where are all the pics so we can have a fashion show lol lol

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

It's a bit ridiculous but once the animal is happy then no issue

I do laugh at the display in my local pet shop though, you could be forgiven for thinking you've walked into a baby shop especially with the display of pet prams

eviltwin wrote: »
    I do laugh at the display in my local pet shop though, you could be forgiven for thinking you've walked into a baby shop especially with the display of pet prams

They're mainly used for dogs who have arthritis or other joint issues.. kind of funny until you're in that situation I guess. Lots of people on arthritis FB groups have them for their dogs. Somebody local here had like a wheelbarrow/cart thing for one of their dogs so it could still join them when they took their younger dog out on walks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

I bought mine a rain protector for when it's lashing out and she has to be brought out to the toilet. Will stick up a couple of pics later when I'm home :)

friend dresses her dogs up in fashion type clothing, not really my thing tbh but to each their own.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I wish to lend my full and undivided support for this suggestion :D

I had an older dog who broke her leg, I bought a pram for her so she could still come out for walks and keep her mind healthy. She loved it. It most certainly kept up her quality of life during what was a tough old time for her :o
    I also had a neoprene wetsuit for her, to keep her warm when she took off for swims. I know hardened shooting folk who had the same gear for their spaniels during duck shooting, when the dog is going in and out of water, but also sitting around, wet, for potentially long periods in the frost waiting for more birds to fly in.

I have working GSDs who wear raincoats, simply because big, wet dogs in the house make a serious mess, and drying them can be very time consuming. Their functional, non-flufftastic raincoats save me a lot of time and mess. No apologies made here for my big doggos wearing them :D

I was against it until someone put a hoodie on my dog and she looks super cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭coathanger

DBB wrote: »
    I wish to lend my full and undivided support for this suggestion :D

I had an older dog who broke her leg, I bought a pram for her so she could still come out for walks and keep her mind healthy. She loved it. It most certainly kept up her quality of life during what was a tough old time for her :o
    I also had a neoprene wetsuit for her, to keep her warm when she took off for swims. I know hardened shooting folk who had the same gear for their spaniels during duck shooting, when the dog is going in and out of water, but also sitting around, wet, for potentially long periods in the frost waiting for more birds to fly in.

I have working GSDs who wear raincoats, simply because big, wet dogs in the house make a serious mess, and drying them can be very time consuming. Their functional, non-flufftastic raincoats save me a lot of time and mess. No apologies made here for my big doggos wearing them :D

Did u buy a doggy pram? If so, any recommendations? I’m on the look out fir my elderly jrt but they seem to be huge money ! Any advice/tips welcome.

• Advertisement

I was against it until someone put a hoodie on my dog and she looks super cool.

I put my own hoodie on a previous foster dog. And my sunglasses.

He was a big lad who could stand with paws on my shoulders and (embarrassingly) the hoodie both fitted and suited him better than it did me so I've never done that again. :o

I'll get on board with this as soon as boards.ie makes it easy to upload images. ;)

Choc Chip wrote: »
    I put my own hoodie on a previous foster dog. And my sunglasses.

He was a big lad who could stand with paws on my shoulders and (embarrassingly) the hoodie both fitted and suited him better than it did me so I've never done that again. :o

OMG... I'm crying laughing :D:D:D

coathanger wrote: »
    Did u buy a doggy pram? If so, any recommendations? I’m on the look out fir my elderly jrt but they seem to be huge money ! Any advice/tips welcome.

No... I bought a (human) buggy from the local VdeP shop :o. I have seen 2nd hand dog-specific ones on various websites though!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Springwell

DBB wrote: »

My spaniels wear neoprene vests for duck flights - if they're in a blind they can't move about to keep warm so seems only fair. I use the fleece Equafleece rugs on shoot days at lunchtime and on the drive home to ensure they dry off and keep warm....good dogs and dog food are expensive, I don't want the dogs performing below their best and I don't want them shivering off calories either!

Advertisement