Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Income Tax death

Options
  • 20-04-2019 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Mr A Case 1 sole trade for 20 years dies on 1 March in a year of assessment.
    A specific provision in the accounts of €200,000 which has obviously reduced tax year on year as it was incrementally provided for over a number of years (bona fide provision and would stand up to scrutiny).
    On death, in the cessation accounts, is this provision wrote back for tax purposes or what happens?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭Allinall

Mr A Case 1 sole trade for 20 years dies on 1 March in a year of assessment.
    A specific provision in the accounts of €200,000 which has obviously reduced tax year on year as it was incrementally provided for over a number of years (bona fide provision and would stand up to scrutiny).
    On death, in the cessation accounts, is this provision wrote back for tax purposes or what happens?

Provision for what?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 JansheerKahn

Allinall wrote: »
    Provision for what?

Doesnt matter - take it as allowable for tax. A provision for a cost that is w & e for trade and will crystalise at a future date

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭Allinall

Doesnt matter - take it as allowable for tax. A provision for a cost that is w & e for trade and will crystalise at a future date

It absolutely matters.

Provisions are generally not allowed for tax purposes. Expenses need to be incurred. Eg. provision for bad debts is not allowable.

Allinall wrote: »
    It absolutely matters.

Provisions are generally not allowed for tax purposes. Expenses need to be incurred. Eg. provision for bad debts is not allowable.

They are if specific. Like i said this is allowable.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭marizpan

Is Mr A married?
    Will the spouse take the case l after death?
    I would have thought that the specific provision would crystallise on cessation for tax purposes, as that should reflect reality

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

How can a provision be incrementally provided for but then not crystallise. Doesn't make much sense to me. If your providing for something, it should happen soon after. Otherwise it's not allowable

Synode wrote: »
    How can a provision be incrementally provided for but then not crystallise. Doesn't make much sense to me. If your providing for something, it should happen soon after. Otherwise it's not allowable

Very common commercially, for example providing for restoration of land after a quarry reaches end of useful life. Could be 30 years in future. You would provide annually to match revenues with costs.

marizpan wrote: »
    Is Mr A married?
    Will the spouse take the case l after death?
    I would have thought that the specific provision would crystallise on cessation for tax purposes, as that should reflect reality

Not married so no Revenue concession applicable.
    Presume intestate and Succession Act applies so passing to children and thus full cessation.
    What legislative provision would dictate the provision be wrote back - Section 81?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Very common commercially, for example providing for restoration of land after a quarry reaches end of useful life. Could be 30 years in future. You would provide annually to match revenues with costs.

In that case, once the event is no longer likely to occur (which I'm assuming in this case) then the provision should reverse

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

In the case of a quarry it might be sold with a sinking fund representing the accumulated dilapidations provision. This would be a crystallisation if the accumulated provision for accounting purposes. This would be the starting point for the Sch d case I computation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement