Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Toyota C-HR EV/IZOA

Options
  • 19-04-2019 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭

Yep... it is happening :)

Finally Toyota came to their senses and a fully electric Toyota is coming up.
    First is the Chinese market where it would be sold as Toyota IZOA and then the rest of the world...
    That is more or less game over for the ICE and from here on it would be only a decline... rapid one i’d say...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

https://youtu.be/koo5I8lrrM8

Link to the video...

2020 in China.
    20... in Ireland?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,139 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

That C-HR BEV looks lovely.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    That C-HR BEV looks lovely.

It does. It is a fantastic car. Have 2 friends who’s gotten it and driven it myself... apart from the noisy engine everything else is just perfect :)

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

peposhi wrote: »
    Yep... it is happening :)

Finally Toyota came to their senses and a fully electric Toyota is coming up.
    First is the Chinese market where it would be sold as Toyota IZOA and then the rest of the world...
    That is more or less game over for the ICE and from here on it would be only a decline... rapid one i’d say...

Why would it be game over still only suitable for a small minority of the world. Until Battery can achieve the same range as a tank of diesel and recharge as quickly as filling up a tank it’s certainly not game over.

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Why would it be game over still only suitable for a small minority of the world. Until Battery can achieve the same range as a tank of diesel and recharge as quickly as filling up a tank it’s certainly not game over.

Just the fact that Toyota bent backwards to produce EV(after VW have already done so) means the ice has cracked even at the bottom of the iceberg. It would be years until full conversion, lots will change meanwhile, but it would be much quicker process as there will be more and more money spent on research and technology advancement to achieve better margins and profit by the big guys...

• Advertisement

Just the fact that Toyota bent backwards to produce EV(after VW have already done so) means the ice has cracked even at the bottom of the iceberg. It would be years until full conversion, lots will change meanwhile, but it would be much quicker process as there will be more and more money spent on research and technology advancement to achieve better margins and profit by the big guys...

But still fundamentally until the main issues of battery technology and in turn, physics are addressed its a moot point. Only reason car companies are developing electric cars is to address carbon credits from governments. People fundamentally don't care if their care is electric or ICE as long as it suits their needs. Of course, there will always be early adopters that like the technology aspect but normal people simply don't care.

Double post...

Double post...

Great reply do the conversation anything of value to add?

But still fundamentally until the main issues of battery technology and in turn, physics are addressed its a moot point. Only reason car companies are developing electric cars is to address carbon credits from governments. People fundamentally don't care if their care is electric or ICE as long as it suits their needs. Of course, there will always be early adopters that like the technology aspect but normal people simply don't care.

I do agree with you that a lot will have to happen to achieve a mass adoption and even then we will still see ICE cars going around (same as the real horse power still being used in many ways/places).
    The idea is that people nowadays are changing their habits a lot quicker than 20/30years ago and we live in, literally, a cloud of information, that sooner or later will reach your. So the more people realise the financial benefits of having an EV, the more will leave the ICE wagon.
    I have no research to back this up, but 90% of the EV drivers I know or heard of would never go back to an ICE and next car will be just a longer range EV. That means zero income for non-EV producers, therefore more money spend on developing the EV range and abilities.
    If Toyota has given up the battle (and surely realising the hydrogen car front is lost) then nothing can stop now the avalanche of technology development therefore wider choice available therefore EV becoming mainstream...

Great reply do the conversation anything of value to add?

?!?

I meant that I posted a reply twice and deleted it. Don’t see any issue here

• Advertisement

I do agree with you that a lot will have to happen to achieve a mass adoption and even then we will still see ICE cars going around (same as the real horse power still being used in many ways/places).
    The idea is that people nowadays are changing their habits a lot quicker than 20/30years ago and we live in, literally, a cloud of information, that sooner or later will reach your. So the more people realise the financial benefits of having an EV, the more will leave the ICE wagon.
    I have no research to back this up, but 90% of the EV drivers I know or heard of would never go back to an ICE and next car will be just a longer range EV. That means zero income for non-EV producers, therefore more money spend on developing the EV range and abilities.
    If Toyota has given up the battle (and surely realising the hydrogen car front is lost) then nothing can stop now the avalanche of technology development therefore wider choice available therefore EV becoming mainstream...

Ask the same question to 90% of ICE owners and they would say their next car would be ICE again. But I have no data to back that up. See how silly your statement was. I totally agree the Hydrogen car is dead for now alright. Toyota has not given up the battle it’s just they need to offer electric cars like all other manufacturers. ICE is far from dead you and I will be long dead and manufactures will still offer ICE.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Nice to see Toyota back making EVs

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 64,774 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Am I the only one skeptical at this? The video in the OP seems to be some sort of ad aimed at the Chinese market. It is 4 days old and only has a few hundred views. We haven't heard any official announcement. I'm sorry, but I can't accept that vid as reliable news that Toyota will soon produce a new BEV.

Ask the same question to 90% of ICE owners and they would say their next car would be ICE again. But I have no data to back that up. See how silly your statement was. I totally agree the Hydrogen car is dead for now alright. Toyota has not given up the battle it’s just they need to offer electric cars like all other manufacturers. ICE is far from dead you and I will be long dead and manufactures will still offer ICE.

Hope you are not towards the end of your 60s :)

Toyota has not given up the battle it’s just they need to offer electric cars like all other manufacturers. ICE is far from dead you and I will be long dead and manufactures will still offer ICE.

Toyota have made and sold electric cars, just not in great quantity and almost as a secret

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Toyota say they don’t make electric because the supply of batteries is limited and the infrastructure is not in place

Hard to say either of them is untrue

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

It does. It is a fantastic car. Have 2 friends who’s gotten it and driven it myself... apart from the noisy engine everything else is just perfect :)

Except it's tiny

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Except it's tiny

Depends what you call tiny

My sister in law has hybrid CHR, I got a 3 kids in back(6,4,2) yesterday into it and Out N About double buggy into boot....had to take the cover off boot but it went in, two adults in front

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Toyota say they don’t make electric because the supply of batteries is limited and the infrastructure is not in place

Hard to say either of them is untrue

Toyota are up there as a major player in the car industry, this is a self fulfilling belief and very short sighted IMHO, cart/horse

slave1 wrote: »
    Toyota are up there as a major player in the car industry, this is a self fulfilling belief and very short sighted IMHO, cart/horse

Is it short sighted? New hybrid engine out, more efficient

So if I buy then in 3 years time when I swap they have full electric out when the market is ready to move....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I don't agree with that statement. I understand the sentiment but the reality is different. How many times in your life do you have to start a journey with a full tank of diesel/petrol and then fill it up again prior to finishing your journey? Becuase that is the use case that you are stating is the baseline for acceptance.
    The reality is that the vast majority of EV ownsers start their day with a full tank due to home charging.
    When EV's can suit 95%+ of use cases then I think the deault will be to buy an EV. In addition there will need to be a charging structure somewhat better then there is now. For example mltiple charges in each location where there is currently one etc. I would suggest that ranges of 400-600km will fit this bracket. Nobody in their right mind wants to drive 500km and not stop for a 20 minute break, so I don't think that recharging needs to be as fast as current fuel delivery methods.
    I agree with your sentiment, just somewhat disagree with the technical detail of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

A lot of people actually like driving as opposed to sitting in the equivalent of a dodgem, ie one pedal and just sit there. Imagine doing a 200 km journey, you might nod off at Cashel.

Also the maximum speed in the EV is 90 km per hour, you cant take advantage of motorways at that speed.

The Government will find ways of recouping income lost if EVs become the default option so in the long run the price differential will be less.

tretorn wrote: »

Also the maximum speed in the EV is 90 km per hour............

Max speed in what EV is 90kph?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Max speed in most Evs is 90 km.

I presume if you go over this you run the battery down quicker.

Its probably wise to buy a fold up bike to put in the boot if you go outside the bigger cities in EV cars, imagine being stuck somewhere with no charging point and no mobile coverage on your phone to ring someone. Your phone then runs out of power too, and this is the future promised to us.

I presume if you go over this you run the battery down quicker............

I don't have an EV but work under 30kms from home most days and don't hit over 100kph :)

Not in any EV I've ever driven

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

I presume if you go over this you run the battery down quicker.

Its probably wise to buy a fold up bike to put in the boot if you go outside the bigger cities in EV cars, imagine being stuck somewhere with no charging point and no mobile coverage on your phone to ring someone. Your phone then runs out of power too, and this is the future promised to us.

All of the current generation of EVs can handle 90 km/hr and even 120 km/hr with not too much fuss.

EVs do tend to have a lower top speed than ICE vehicles as most designs do not use a gear-box, and at speeds over say 130 km/hr you've hit the max on the motor's power curve, while drag and drive-train efficiency losses start to really pile up.

There is definitely a lot of work to do to improve the charging network, but regarding the cars themselves, the developments are happening at a rapid pace. The generation of cars currently being launched by Porsche have the ability to charge much faster than what's currently on the market, something like 100km of range in 10 minutes. Obviously this tech will take a few years to make its way down to the affordable end of the market, but by 2023 we should see it available in the likes of Skoda.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

The generation of cars currently being launched by Porsche have the ability to charge much faster than what's currently on the market, something like 100km of range in 10 minutes.

If I'm not mistaken, which admittedly is quite often, I think it's actually 100 km of range in 5 minutes and 18 minutes for 300 km. An efficient BEV like IONIQ charging at 70 kW can today get approx. 100 km of range in 10 minutes when the conditions are right. And even a LEAF 30/40 charging at nominal 50 kW can add 100 kilometers of range in 20 minutes.

A lot of people actually like driving as opposed to sitting in the equivalent of a dodgem, ie one pedal and just sit there. Imagine doing a 200 km journey, you might nod off at Cashel.

Also the maximum speed in the EV is 90 km per hour, you cant take advantage of motorways at that speed.

The Government will find ways of recouping income lost if EVs become the default option so in the long run the price differential will be less.

Quick tip, if you haven’t a clue what your talking about don’t post on the forum with electric car drivers, they might, just might, know a little bit more

Stick to the General Motors forum, plenty of other posters have the same level of knowledge on electric cars and you will be accepted

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Quick tip, if you haven’t a clue what your talking about don’t post on the forum with electric car drivers, they might, just might, know a little bit more

Stick to the General Motors forum, plenty of other posters have the same level of knowledge on electric cars and you will be accepted

Ehh, leave it for the mods

Advertisement