Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can I get rent allowance and/or jobseekers and/or anything else?

• 17-04-2019 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi All,

There is a slight chance I might be put out of work soon (random redundancies ongoing) so I am super stressed currently.

While I am looking for job, you all know anything can happen.
    I live with two house mates (couple), all of our names are on the lease, my share is 750 euro per month for the rent.

I am 25 years old and I've been in employment with this company since September 2017.
    I've been paying 160-175 Eur per month in PRSI (Class A1) all this time.

Prior to that - I was paying about 150 Euro per month in PRSI (Class A1) from August 2015 - May 2017.

So in my previous job I paid around 91 weeks in PRSI and about 82 weeks in current job.
    So let's say roughly 170 total payments.

I live in Dublin, so I am wondering will I be elegible for any sort of support from social welfare while I am looking for job?

I was on social welfare once - back when I was changing between these two jobs (I was 23 then) and then I was on it for only like 3 weeks and I was based in Co. Meath back then and was receiving barely anything per week and thus ended up owing money to friends and relatives (which I paid out right away).

I have no intention of going and staying on welfare, I just want to know if there is any safety net in case things go absolutely horrible.

Thank You all.

Also quick question (if anyone knows): Will I be entitled to any sort of redundancy payment? Is there any law around that or is that contract based? I've heard some rumors that you need to be employed by company for 2 consecutive years to be eligible?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭tanit

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your situation. If the worse happens that you get redundancy and cannot get a job, you should be able to apply for Job Seekers Benefit, and this is more information about signing on.

By what you say you should have enough PRSI contributions to apply for the Benefit. If for whatever reason you get Job Seekers Benefit, you can apply instead for Job Seekers Allowance

Rent Allowance/Supplement is going to be a bit more complicated. Theoretically once you have been living in rented accommodation for 6
    of the last 12 months you should be able to apply (there are other rules but you only need one to apply to you to qualify), you need to pass the means test (if you are on welfare so long as you don't have massive savings or property on your name, you will pass it) and you are habitually resident in the State. The problem you are going to have with this is the limits: in Dublin is either 400 or 430 depending on the area you live on, if you are single and live in shared accommodation. But the page also says that the department examines cases above the thresholds on an individual basis.

Regarding Redundancy you are going to need at least 2 years more or less continuous employment with the employer to qualify among other things.

So you have some kind safety net.

These are not Tax questions, and you might be able to get better help in either the State Benefits Forum or the Work & Jobs Forum. In any of them there is sure to be someone that knows better and more than I know. Maybe someone here might be able to provide more and better advice.

I hope this helps and best of luck with everything.

Advertisement