Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony wh-1000xm3

Options
  • 15-02-2019 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭

Hi lads, I'm currently auto topping up my amazon wallet 10 pound a day and will be ready to buy a set of these headphones by the end of the month.

2 questions...

Are they as good as advertised and reviewed?

Do they go on offer much? I see a bit of an offer on them today but I'm not ready to buy so hoping the regularly go on sale?

Comments

I've had a pair a few months now and yes, they're amazing. A little bit bass heavy for my liking but I have them EQ'd to my liking.
    One thing to note is that if you're wearing them on a bus or something and you go over bumps, etc you get a slight flopping type noise but this is the same with any ANC headphones.

Buy them. You won't be disappointed. I got them on Amazon and they were £260. Not gone down to that price since though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I've had a pair a few months now and yes, they're amazing. A little bit bass heavy for my liking but I have them EQ'd to my liking.
    One thing to note is that if you're wearing them on a bus or something and you go over bumps, etc you get a slight flopping type noise but this is the same with any ANC headphones.

Buy them. You won't be disappointed. I got them on Amazon and they were £260. Not gone down to that price since though.

Thanks, that's a nice price alright hopefully something pops up like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭ImANoob08

Got these for Christmas gone from my other half, what a pair of head phones!

you wont be disappointed!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 btj_79

I would love to get a set of these. Other than amazon, is there any other places people would recommend buying them from at a bit of a discount?

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭conjon

btj_79 wrote: »
    I would love to get a set of these. Other than amazon, is there any other places people would recommend buying them from at a bit of a discount?

Keep an eye on Amazon.de

I got the last version there. They tend to be cheaper.

OP: you're in for a treat I use mine everyday and they've replaced more expensive sets that I have.

• Advertisement

conjon wrote: »
    Keep an eye on Amazon.de

I got the last version there. They tend to be cheaper.

OP: you're in for a treat I use mine everyday and they've replaced more expensive sets that I have.

Do prime members get free shipping from their or is that just from the UK?

Tried a pair of these on today in Currys and when the noise cancellation kicked in I was grinning like :D only a week before I order and I can't wait. I nearly bought them their and then but I'm weening myself off impulsive purchasing and have a fun things budget now, Which is great actually, no more guilt when I buy stuff I don't really need.

Bringing this on my first long haul flight tomorrow will let use know how I get on!

Ordered today with a measly 12% discount. Still better than nothing. £290ish

Used these on my way over to NYC the other day and my god they are amazing.

Watched movies the whole way and couldn't hear a thing but the movie.

Main reason I bought them was for planes and they didn't disappoint!

• Advertisement

Got them today, really amazing piece of technology!
    Very impressed with them so far. I drove the car with them on and it was like driving an electric car on a glass road or something.
    Has anyone used them plugged into a vr headset? I've a psvr and was just wondering if they would work well with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

Sorry to drag up this thread, I got a pair of these a few months ago. The sound is amazing but when I walk there is a creaking noise. Not sure if it is the hinges on the side or what. It is very annoying. Anyone else have this?

I've not had any issues with mine and have had them since last October. Is it the actual headphone or a noise coming from the drivers?

I've not had any issues with mine and have had them since last October. Is it the actual headphone or a noise coming from the drivers?

I think it is noise from the physical headphones. I think it might be the hinges creaking

• Registered Users Posts: 11 bencfc69

I have had these for about two weeks now and can't say I have experienced that issue.

No problems here either.

nedd wrote: »
    I think it is noise from the physical headphones. I think it might be the hinges creaking

Put a bit of WD40 on a qtip and apply it to them or just return them for a new pair.

Just brought them back to the shop. They have to send them to Sony. Couple of weeks without them now.

nedd wrote: »
    Just brought them back to the shop. They have to send them to Sony. Couple of weeks without them now.

That's a pain. You'll get sorted anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Put a bit of WD40 on a qtip and apply it to them or just return them for a new pair.

3 in 1 Oil would be so much better than WD-40 for something like this.

I've gotten a set of these headphones for a few months now and outside of the "annoyance" of having to manually swap them between phone/tablet/PC they are brilliant. I wouldn't bring them out for a walk though, my head is too big as it is, these would be just way too big.

• Advertisement

Clareman wrote: »
    3 in 1 Oil would be so much better than WD-40 for something like this.

I've gotten a set of these headphones for a few months now and outside of the "annoyance" of having to manually swap them between phone/tablet/PC they are brilliant. I wouldn't bring them out for a walk though, my head is too big as it is, these would be just way too big.

I have thought they look rather large on my own head lol.

I think with a big head they would be more in proportion. My head is pretty small, the head band is in its smallest position and they are still a little loose on me. I wouldn't use them going for a brisk walk anyway as the sweat could ruin them. I use my outlier ones for that. I do wear them walking into shopping centres and the likes. I honestly couldn't care how I look to others, especially random strangers.

I dunno. They are a lot sleeker than a lot of over ear headphones out there at the minute. I'm always afraid though that someone is going to recognize what they are when i'm out and about and try to grab them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I dunno. They are a lot sleeker than a lot of over ear headphones out there at the minute. I'm always afraid though that someone is going to recognize what they are when i'm out and about and try to grab them.

If I'm going for a walk with them I'll probably also have a Rolex and a Note 9 on me, I'd be delighed if they just went for the headphones :pac::pac::pac:

In my opinion, these headphones are brilliant, the main reason for me getting them over the Bose QC 35 was that they are USB-C but having used both I find they an awful lot better. My main usage of the headphones are in the house, 1 of the most amazing benefits is the almost 0 noise leakage, I wear them in bed at night watching stuff on my tablet, with other headphones Mrs. Clareman would always be telling me to turn them down when she was trying to get to sleep, with these I can have them up as loud as I want and she doesn't complain. Saying that, I don't think it would be possible to sleep with them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

I'm looking at buying a pair of these very soon. Cheapest I've seen them is on Thomann.de for 300. Anyone know anywhere better?

Also, they've been out a while now. I don't supposed Sony have been teasing an upgrade or anything? Don't wanna buy them only for a couple of weeks later, a new version to come out.

Similar price on Amazon. CanJam was on recently and nothing was unveiled so i'd say it will be next year before they announce anything new.

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    I'm looking at buying a pair of these very soon. Cheapest I've seen them is on Thomann.de for 300. Anyone know anywhere better?

Also, they've been out a while now. I don't supposed Sony have been teasing an upgrade or anything? Don't wanna buy them only for a couple of weeks later, a new version to come out.
    Bose have brought out a new pair recently so to avoid the situation your fearing id seriously be investigating those ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Just bought a pair of these. I was wondering how i figure out what codec my laptop will use when listening to the headphones. Been trying to figure it out. I'm beginning to think i should have looked into this before i bought them. My laptop is a Gigabyte aero x9. Can i listen with Ldac or apt x?

Edit: Bought one of these just in case

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    Just bought a pair of these. I was wondering how i figure out what codec my laptop will use when listening to the headphones. Been trying to figure it out. I'm beginning to think i should have looked into this before i bought them. My laptop is a Gigabyte aero x9. Can i listen with Ldac or apt x?

Edit: Bought one of these just in case

My advice is don't be stressing about what codec you can use. I was listening on a lower quality for months and try then found out there was a setting in the phone for high quality Bluetooth connection and I got Ldac and honestly I don't notice the difference.
    In fact using the equallizer mean switching off that codec and I prefer that most of the time.
    Just enjoy them:cool:

Quoting from the interwebz :

LDAC simply isn't capable of passing Hi-Res content unaltered, and falls far short of wired 24/96 equivalents. The 990 and 660kbps bitrates are about as good as CD quality, but quickly lose fidelity above 20kHz. ... For good quality and a highly stable connection, aptX and even SBC are better choices than LDAC 330kbps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

I understand......

Advertisement