Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone advise me regards claiming back tax.

Options
  • 14-04-2019 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭

Hi.
    Just gonna put out my issue here and hope someone can advise me what to do.
    Basically, was on emergency tax for a lot of 2018 and I know I'm owed a good bit of tax. However in September 2018, I took on a small franchise and registered as a sole trader. This means now that I have to complete a form 11 to get my tax back and I haven't a clue how to do it cos it seems very complicated. I went to an accountant to do my books for me and he was going to sort out my tax as well but he was charging close to €500 for the year. That is way too much for the income I'll be making. My aunt does books so she can do it for me but she's unsure of tax back etc.
    Should I go to an accountant to sort out tax back? How much should that cost?
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Just put all your I come onto the form 11. Trading income in the trading income section and employment income and tax paid in the employment section.

Don't over complicate it. Leave sections that don't apply blank. You don't need an accountant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Red Lightning

Don't over complicate it. Leave sections that don't apply blank. You don't need an accountant.

Oh really? I must just give it a good go then. I'll admit I felt defeated by only looking at it. Thanks for the reply.

Do I fill out a hard copy of the form 11 or is it done online? I've found a form to download. Thanks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Do I fill out a hard copy of the form 11 or is it done online? I've found a form to download. Thanks

Fill it out on revenue's online system. Much easier than hard copy. Or rather it's easier to bunch the irrelevant parts together and ignore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Springfields

You can do either. I had to resort to hard copy when the revenue couldn't manage to send me out a RAN to use it online
    It's the same info. The form looks more complicated than it is. A lot of sections won't apply. Just have your p60 etc to hand before you start..

• Advertisement

Thank you folks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

€500 is cheap to be fair. An accountant could save you money and their fees are deductible at the higher tax rate so depending on your income it may only cost you €250 or so.
    Have you registered for income tax yet?

Just applied for my RAN on Revenue so can't do anything online until that comes back. Thanks folks.

Do I have to set up a Ros Debit Instruction for any tax I may receive back?

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

Do I have to set up a Ros Debit Instruction for any tax I may receive back?

Under bank accounts in ROS you can register an account for tax refunds. That’s separate to setting up RDIs which are for payments to Revenue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement