Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home CCTV cameras vs Arlo, Nest, Ring etc.

Options
  • 08-03-2019 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys

I have been looking into getting some cctv for the house recently. Initially I jumped to the conclusion that these new IoT type cameras would be best, but after digging into them, their cost and limitations with subscriptions and motion only recording in some cases, I was discouraged and started to think maybe going the NVR route would be better.

Would love to hear from anyone who's been in the same predicament and what your own views and conclusions were?

Ideally, I want to be able to have solid 24/7 recording, remote access, only 1 wire (if any) to the external cameras (i.e. PoE). And no additional cost such as subs.

All reccommendations and tips etc. welcomed :)

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

tusk wrote: »
    Hey Guys

I have been looking into getting some cctv for the house recently. Initially I jumped to the conclusion that these new IoT type cameras would be best, but after digging into them, their cost and limitations with subscriptions and motion only recording in some cases, I was discouraged and started to think maybe going the NVR route would be better.

Would love to hear from anyone who's been in the same predicament and what your own views and conclusions were?

Ideally, I want to be able to have solid 24/7 recording, remote access, only 1 wire (if any) to the external cameras (i.e. PoE). And no additional cost such as subs.

Cheers

Using Reolink cameras and find them excellent, have several family and friends using them. Well made, picture quality is great and app works well for remote viewing.

Using a POE switch to power them and no problems. They also do wifi cameras. Most of the cameras use a sd card now or can be connected to a NVR.

Regular deals on them either as a kit or single cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Cheers! Any links to specific setups you'd recommend?

Cheers! Any links to specific setups you'd recommend?

Check out Reolinks own site and Amazon, both have deals from time to time. Slight discount on the Reolink site at the moment.

I have both the RLC-410 and RLC-420, 5mp with sd card, so you could try these without the nvr to see how you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭paulbok

THE ALM wrote: »
    Check out Reolinks own site and Amazon, both have deals from time to time. Slight discount on the Reolink site at the moment.

I have both the RLC-410 and RLC-420, 5mp with sd card, so you could try these without the nvr to see how you go.

what nvr do you use with these?

paulbok wrote: »
    what nvr do you use with these?

Due to them having a sd card I don't currently use a nvr. I will look into getting a nvr or running the client software on a nuc or something smaller as the cameras could be just taken I suppose.

• Advertisement

If you are going down the Reolink route then there are deals on cameras and NVR's

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭TomasMacR

thank you for this. I was looking at these. might pull the pin on it now...how do you find them?

TomasMacR wrote: »
    thank you for this. I was looking at these. might pull the pin on it now...how do you find them?

Very pleased with them, have three running around the house with no problems and have them installed for family and friends in three other locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭C.O.Y.B.I.B

Hey Guys

Cheers

Currently using this just over a year and find it great. Subscription optional , I'm using SD instead.

YI Outdoor IP Camera Wireless 1080P HD Home Security Camera Weatherproof Bullet Surveillance Camera with Two-Way Audio, Night Vision, Motion Detection and Cloud Service – White https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0776V3CG5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_dLhSCbP4C808Y

Very pleased with them, have three running around the house with no problems and have them installed for family and friends in three other locations.

Thanks...looking at the below. I think I know the answer to this but thought I would ask, is there absolutely no chance of remote or cloud storage withhese units? If camera is nicked your pretty much screwed? It’s for out back and don’t really have any option to hang up high enough for it to be out of reach.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reolink-Argus-Rechargeable-Solar-Powered-Surveillance/dp/B07999Z3M3?ref_=Oct_DLandingS_PC_60d70a47_NA&smid=ARGDLBF91D6J6

• Advertisement

Thanks...looking at the below. I think I know the answer to this but thought I would ask, is there absolutely no chance of remote or cloud storage withhese units? If camera is nicked your pretty much screwed? It’s for out back and don’t really have any option to hang up high enough for it to be out of reach.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reolink-Argus-Rechargeable-Solar-Powered-Surveillance/dp/B07999Z3M3?ref_=Oct_DLandingS_PC_60d70a47_NA&smid=ARGDLBF91D6J6

Reolink do offer cloud storage for the Argus 2. It does seem to be limited to USA, Canada & New Zealand for now but they are adding other countries so may well be worth emailing them. There is a free service for 1 camera or $3.49 for up to 5 cameras.

I find they do regular updates etc. so hopefully other countries won't be long waiting.

If you are going down the Reolink route then there are deals on cameras and NVR's

Looking at prices I would think ordering direct through Reolink is slightly cheaper.

Looking at prices I would think ordering direct through Reolink is slightly cheaper.

Just had a look there, think you are right. Spring sale on.

Many thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,320 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Are cameras actually nicked. ? I imagine thief’s assume it’s all gone to the cloud.

Advertisement