Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Washing machine waste water flow too high?

• 09-04-2019 1:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a 3 year old Beko washing machine that flooded the floor (and a newborn - nice timing). The standing pipe for the washing machine waste water is emptying slower than the water coming out of the washing machine waste pipe so is backing up and flooding the floor.

I had a plumber out who hoovered the waste water drain pipe and used the washing machine water input water pipe to test the drain emptying. The drain pipe was able to clear the water from the input pipe. As a result he thinks it is the washing machine is sending too much water out the waste pipe - that it is faulty.

Has anyone seen a situation where the water coming out of a washing machine has increased? is it normally a controlled restriction?

He also said the drain pipe is a 1.25 inch pipe when it is normally a 1.5 inch pipe but the flooding only started in the last few weeks.

Thanks for any help/advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Sounds like the drain outlet is clogged up and just needs to be cleared out.

Presuming that the drain hose sits into the drain outlet pipe then the pipe size issue isn't the problem because the drain outlet will always take more volume than the drain hose from the washing machine can deliver...assuming the drain pipe isn't restricted so the leak is probably caused by a clogged outlet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Sounds like the drain outlet is clogged up and just needs to be cleared out.

Presuming that the drain hose sits into the drain outlet pipe then the pipe size issue isn't the problem because the drain outlet will always take more volume than the drain hose from the washing machine can deliver...assuming the drain pipe isn't restricted so the leak is probably caused by a clogged outlet.
    Yes, that is what I thought but the plumber said there is no blockage as he vacuumed it and nothing came out. He "proved" it wasnt blocked by sending the water input pipe water down the drain which did not result it flooding. I argued they are not the same volume of water but he said that as the input water is more pressurized it is the same volume. I guess I need a different plumber.

Before I get a different plumber, am I correct in thinking that there is no limiter that controls the flow rate of the waste water coming out of washing machine? As in, could something have broken in the washing machine that resulted in a greater rate of waste water coming out of the washing machine?

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

How close are you to the gulley outside. Could you drill another hole and put a 2 inch pipe in.

Sounds like the pipe is blocked or restricted some way.

Is that pipe being shared with something else like a dishwasher or sink that could be adding water

How far is the outlet pipe down Into the other pipe. Could this be restricting it
    Is there a bend on the waste pipe

Is the waste pipe a long run. Could there be an air pressure causing it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

There's nothing wrong with your machine for a start.
    The size of the outlet pipe not really the issue either in this case.
    I've seen plenty of 1.25 rather than 1.50 inch doing the job.
    The outlet is restricted and needs cleaning.
    Try pouring a bottle of drain unblocker into it and give it a few hours to work.
    If it doesn't you will just have to follow the pipe and find the restriction.

Advertisement