Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCT help - levelling device?

• 23-04-2019 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hello,

I have a 2014 Golf GTD that has failed the test today on

Head light Condition Leveling Device Not operating
    &
    Head light Condition Intensity Not acceptable Offside front

Can anyone advise what this leveling device is ? It must be a motor or a sensor I would imagine ? when i turn on the car i get a warning that the day time running light does not work on that side but it does physically work

thanks a million ,
    Michael

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hello,

I have a 2014 Golf GTD that has failed the test today on

Head light Condition Leveling Device Not operating
    &
    Head light Condition Intensity Not acceptable Offside front

Can anyone advise what this leveling device is ? It must be a motor or a sensor I would imagine ? when i turn on the car i get a warning that the day time running light does not work on that side but it does physically work

thanks a million ,
    Michael

What they do is on start up is go up and down and settle at correct level.

It is either caput or a wiring issue.

Could it be the rear sensor for the xenons.
    look for a gadget in the rear wheel arches thats broken .

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Do you have aftermarket headlights, or factory? Sounds like your headlights are misaligned. So you get flashed a lot?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 welshireland

So this issue caused the intensity issue also ?

if its Caput what do you need to replace ?

I will turn the car on and off and see do they go up and down .
    I am a bit of a hobby mechanic but electronics would be my weak point.

these are Factory headlights on the Golf GTD, NCT advised that the near side rear is pointing to the floor ad the levelling device is not working at all.

thanks
    Michael

Could it be the rear sensor for the xenons.
    look for a gadget in the rear wheel arches thats broken .

Can you advice a little more ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

A lot of cars now have a levelling system, dial or knob, for the driver to adjust the aim of the lights if fully laden. It sounds like the adjusting mechanism for the one side is in its default failsafe mode ( pointing down ) Could be many reasons from faulty wiring, blown fuse or jammed mechanism.
    Sorry can't help anymore than that but a good poke around the headlamp unit by a reasonable VW mechanic might point out more.

Found this for you might help

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12614

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Does your car have factory fitted xenon headlights? I think most GTD models do so factory fitted xenon headlights have an automatic self leveling motorized system as required by EU regulation. It's possible that one of them is no longer working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

When you turn the car on at night, do the headlights go through an alignment process ? i'e do the beams move up and down (possible left and right too) before settling on a postion ?

If you have factory xenons then you will have 1 or possibly more level sensors - usually on the rear passenger side suspension and front passenger side suspension. This is so the car knows how high the front is in relation to the rear and knows what level to adjust the lights too. If the sensor was damaged then both would be either pointing too high or two low and you wouldn't get the allignemnt process on start up.

The sensors themsleves are around 80-120e and easy to replace once the car is off the ground.The don't always physically break sometimes the sensor just stops working.

5 minutes with VCDS will diagnose what's going on, where are you based ?

bazz26 wrote: »
    Does your car have factory fitted xenon headlights? I think most GTD models do so factory fitted xenon headlights have an automatic self leveling motorized system as required by EU regulation. It's possible that one of them is no longer working.

Yes but how do i diagnose the problem to fix it. Plugging it in is not giving a specific fault i.e a sensor gone ect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

See the post from tossy after mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

It does sound like a range control sensor is bunched.

It's a little pivot arm near the rear drop link on the passenger side rear. I think the arm on them is green, so it should stand out if you stick you're head in.

They are prone to failure on most VW stuff so its be a good place to start with this one. If the sensor is knackered the lamp could be pointing at the sky or down to the ground and that's why you've gotten the lamp intensity fail too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Would that not affect both sides TFBoi ? Seems it's just the Driver's-side Light that is 'off'.

edit: it does sound more like the self-levelling motor on just the Driver's side that's giving trouble....as suggested by Bazz.

edit: post #1 says offside....post#5 says nearside. Either way it sounds more like a Light located issue rather than one of the Front/Rear Sensors. BTW what did you "plug" it into to check for error codes OP ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭kirving

Yes but how do i diagnose the problem to fix it. Plugging it in is not giving a specific fault i.e a sensor gone ect

It can, and most probably will. They diagnosis can be so good on some sensors that it can even tell you which wire of three is damaged, if it was a wiring issue for example.

Give the lever arm a quick check, after that the fastest things is a VCDS check

Advertisement