Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Copyright question: can I download images from websites and use on my blog?

Options
  • 19-02-2019 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm starting up a sports blog out of personal interest with no financial goal in mind. I'm wondering about the copyright of using images on it.

For example, with images from inpho.ie (sports photo agency), I've noticed that some sites:

(a) credit the images and cite that the article is copyrighted - e.g. https://www.the42.ie/jack-mcgrath-ruddock-leavy-leinster-ireland-4499898-Feb2019/

whereas

(b) others do neither - e.g. http://hoganstand.com/Type/Hurling/Article/Index/295652.

In this case, would it be fair to say that the42.ie piece is covered by copyright, but that I could download and use the image from hoganstand.com without infringing copyright?

Thanks for the advice.

Con

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Unless you've been given permission, don't assume you can use the image. In fact quite the opposite, assume you can't use it.

It's not unusual to have to pay to use an image and give credit. E.g. when the image is licensed from an agency/photographer.

The lack of a citation does not mean you can use it.

In short:

Q. Copyright question: can I download images from websites and use on my blog?
    A. No

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Nugget89

HoganStand are notorious for stealing content. Do not use them as an example of how to credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭wonga77

Worth mentioning that several large image companies make just as much money from copyright lawsuits as they do selling the dam things. Even a tiny blog with little or no traffic is not safe from getting caught

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

There is also a fair-use clause that allows quotations of copyrighted material.

When it comes to sport photos, the only use case I come up with that would qualify though is when someone writes a blog about sports photography itself and for instance analyses the technique of particular photographer, evolution of sports photography etc.

Using a photo to illustrate a sports blog entry would be a no-go without license/copyrights holed approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Richards1983

Many thanks for all of your insights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

grogi wrote: »
    There is also a fair-use clause that allows quotations of copyrighted material.

No there isn't. Under Irish law we have "fair dealings" which is not the same
    grogi wrote: »
    When it comes to sport photos, the only use case I come up with that would qualify though is when someone writes a blog about sports photography itself and for instance analyses the technique of particular photographer, evolution of sports photography etc.
    Unless you have permission to use the photos or they're stock photos (which you've licensed) you cannot use them. It doesn't matter what you are doing with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭thecelt

It looks like you might be able to use photos from this site for free ,
    Apologies if I am incorrect !
    https://pixabay.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

With the greatest of respect - you are saying you have a copyright question, yet, you appear ignorant of the basics of image copyright, the person that took the image owns the copyright and the image is copyrighted until 75yrs after the photographers death.

Yes, there are exemptions but the basic rule applies, it doesn’t matter if you are a blog or international magazine, the person that took the image is owed money if the image is used.

(Not aimed at the OP - but for anyone else who may read the thread - from reading above the OP already knows they cannot use an image without permission)

Found this online, it’s a decent enough infographic (possibly a little based on US law, but general principles apply) https://thevisualcommunicationguy.com/2014/07/14/can-i-use-that-picture/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

No,
    you have to have permission from the photographer.

Also if you think that "sure the will never find it" they will. photostock companies actively search for use for their images.

in the early 00s Getty images started buying up stock image companies once they had the company they began looking for sites that had used the images but had not paid for them and began invoicing some sites for thousands of dollars. so sites that had done a google image search and stuck what the found on their site became liable. Getty had a large legal department.

Advertisement