Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CUTTING WOOD - HELP/ADVICE

Options
  • 06-09-2020 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi everyone,

I'm a beginner in the woodcraft, and I'm slowly building my tools collection. Unfortunately, I still don't have a good way to cut my own plywood.

I recently have built the project for a workbench that I want to use to practice but I'm having some issue with prices from the store (Woodworkers.ie). Every time I request a quote the price gets higher even though I ask for fewer cuts.

Because this I was wondering would anyone knows someone/somewhere that can help me with either with a fair price to cut or even to give a little "workshop" so I can learn and cut it? I'm based in Dublin.

Thanks a lot and I hope someone can help me :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

get a track saw

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 rafarbezerra

get a track saw

Yeah.. I think I go through that route.. you plus 2 different people said the same thing today. I think I must be a sign lol

Hi everyone,

I'm a beginner in the woodcraft, and I'm slowly building my tools collection. Unfortunately, I still don't have a good way to cut my own plywood.

I recently have built the project for a workbench that I want to use to practice but I'm having some issue with prices from the store (Woodworkers.ie). Every time I request a quote the price gets higher even though I ask for fewer cuts.

Because this I was wondering would anyone knows someone/somewhere that can help me with either with a fair price to cut or even to give a little "workshop" so I can learn and cut it? I'm based in Dublin.

Thanks a lot and I hope someone can help me :)

If it's a standard grade plywood, go to B&Q and they'll cut it to the dimensions you provide. https://www.diy.com/services/timber-cutting/

A tracksaw is the perfect tool, but doesn't help you much if you need the sheet cut to fit in a car so you can take it home.

If you're really stuck, a 2 x 1 batten clamped on the cut line can be a useful guide for a handsaw if you're not particularly skilful yet with a panel saw. It won't stop you cutting into it if you're really useless with the saw, but it can offer a little more resistance to help you follow the line. Leave 10mm safety margin and you can more carefully trim to the size you require when home.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Saw a guy with a cordless skid saw on Friday cutting stuff to size to fit in his van: awesome looking tool, horse-ing through 9 by 2's

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Hey Jay,

I will check out B&Q for sure.. and to be honest I'm no "stuck" as I'll be doing it for my self so I have the plesure of time to choose the best option..

I think I will save up and invest in a good track saw and then get the wood.. becsause I need a lot cuts and for what I've been seem it would cost me around €2 to €5 per cut if I pay for a store to do it..and it would costa me around 140 so I think I will invest it in a Plunge saw.

hopefully it is the best option. lol

• Advertisement

yeah.. I wish I had a cordeless tool but the problem with it is the first battery investment and is better to "marry" with a brand so we can use the same batery and same money but for now I will stick with cabe unfortunatelly...

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

Saw a guy with a cordless skid saw on Friday cutting stuff to size to fit in his van: awesome looking tool, horse-ing through 9 by 2's

I got a Ryobi ONE+ circular saw that I've used for breaking down sheet goods at building supplies places. It has been brilliant and I've ended up using it for all sorts of stuff including cutting up the panels of an old garden shed - that were still on the shed :D

It was cheap though, so it's not very powerful and I'm not sure how well it would handle those 9x2s! - particularly if it's something like resinous red deal, it might need counselling after that :eek: Yer man must have had something decent did he, DeWalt/Milwaukee?

Advertisement