Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: When did you learn the extent of Irish involvement with anti-native forces in America
In school 4 5.41%
College / Adulthood 21 28.38%
This is news to me so 49 66.22%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

12-08-2020, 16:41   #1
TenLeftFingers

"More Irish people killed more Indians than anyone else"

Floyd Westerman mentions this in his talk on the common struggle of Native Americans and the Irish. I didn't do leaving cert history and only recently learned of Irish involvement with genocide of natives in the USA. So I'm curious, when did you learn the extent of our history with the indigenous people of America?

Mod Note:
See warning on post 32 about straying from OP.

Last edited by Manach; 25-08-2020 at 12:20.
Advertisement
12-08-2020, 16:45   #2
neris

The way its normally spun when in comes to native populations and the Irish is the Irish were always friendly towards the natives and it was British or Americans who were going around killing natives and beating slaves from Africa.
Thanks from:
12-08-2020, 16:50   #3
An Ri rua

You'll find the same with any foreign forces the Irish joined.
Even through our domestic (domesticated by the Brits) British colonial involvement, we no doubt oversaw serious abuse and slaughter of Africans, Asians and Arabs on their own soil. Just research the amount of Irish in the officer class of the British Forces and it becomes very obvious.
We may never have colonised, as a sovereign state, but as one of the 'home nations' as it were, we certainly did.
12-08-2020, 16:58   #4
Gruffalux

General Philip Sheridan. Parents went from Co. Cavan to Ohio. He was renowned for his total war tactics against native Americans. Starved them in winter, slaughtered men, women and children with no remorse, drove them onto the reservations. A stain on his ancestors and ancestral roots.

https://www.pbs.org/weta/thewest/peo...z/sheridan.htm
12-08-2020, 17:11   #5
timmyntc

Why should it be "our" history?

If an Irish person emigrates and does some heinous crimes somewhere else in the world - why should we, the people who stayed in Ireland have any kind of responsibility or even association with same? Most of these people don't even have any modern day descendents who are Irish.
Advertisement
12-08-2020, 17:22   #6
TenLeftFingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruffalox View Post
General Philip Sheridan. Parents went from Co. Cavan to Ohio. He was renowned for his total war tactics against native Americans. Starved them in winter, slaughtered men, women and children with no remorse, drove them onto the reservations. A stain on his ancestors and ancestral roots.

https://www.pbs.org/weta/thewest/peo...z/sheridan.htm
I read of a Kerry man with a similar reputation (although probably not a similar rank / authority).
Thanks from:
13-08-2020, 20:59   #7
whisky_galore

Quote:
Originally Posted by neris View Post
The way its normally spun when in comes to native populations and the Irish is the Irish were always friendly towards the natives and it was British or Americans who were going around killing natives and beating slaves from Africa.
Incidents like the the Cincinatti Riots and New York Draft Riots put paid to the "We were a sound bunch of lads" narrative and the falsehood Irish were universally liked and tolerated.
Of course Irish slaughtered native Americans and competed and fought over resources and jobs with African Americans. There were ugly incidents between Irish and Chinese in railroad construction gangs.
13-08-2020, 23:20   #8
TenLeftFingers

Is any of this on the history syllabus in the leaving cert? We criticize yhe British for not K NJ owing the atrocities they commited which seems ironic, even if the scale was infinitely greater.
13-08-2020, 23:29   #9
8mv

I remember reading 'Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee' some years ago and being shocked at the number of Irish names who enthusiastically took part in the genocide of the indigenous people of North America. It had not occured to me before that Irish people and other Northern Europeans had contributred to that shameful episode of history.
Advertisement
14-08-2020, 00:02   #10
riffmongous

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenLeftFingers View Post
Is any of this on the history syllabus in the leaving cert? We criticize yhe British for not K NJ owing the atrocities they commited which seems ironic, even if the scale was infinitely greater.
The difference usually being though that the atrocities were committed in the name of the country, rather than the people. But yes, it should definitely be included in any discussion on the diaspora
Thanks from:
14-08-2020, 00:15   #11
TenLeftFingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffmongous View Post
The difference usually being though that the atrocities were committed in the name of the country, rather than the people. But yes, it should definitely be included in any discussion on the diaspora
But at the end of the day, by the people. But I take your point at the same time.
14-08-2020, 02:37   #12
Peregrinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenLeftFingers View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffmongous View Post
The story of the Irish diaspora is not really addressed in the history syllabus (at second level, anyway), exept in so far as it has implications for the history of Ireland (e.g. the role of Irish-America in the Fenian movement).
22-08-2020, 12:28   #13
Yellow_Fern

I don't think anyone has systematically studied this question but what bugs me about this kind of anaysis is that it supposed that the Native Americans lost their lands and way of life due to genocide. In some areas there was true ethnic cleaning but even if there wasn't, even there was no killings, the end result would be the same. The 90% die off from disease and the huge numbers of European immigrants doomed them. The real cause was not ethnic cleaning, it was dispect of Native Americans natural rights to their land.

Can you edit the poll? Some people learnt ofIrish involvment as kids or teenagers through their own reading
(2) thanks from:
22-08-2020, 15:55   #14
TenLeftFingers

Unfortunately, it seems that I can't even update my first post to say that "In school" can cover school-going years in general in the poll.

I agree with you on this; genocide wasn't the only thing they had to contend with.
24-08-2020, 07:19   #15
Peregrinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Fern View Post
. . . The real cause was not ethnic cleaning, it was dispect of Native Americans natural rights to their land.
How is dispossesing people of their land, so forcing them to move off it and allow it to be settled by a different people, not ethnic cleansing? Genuine question.

Last edited by Peregrinus; 24-08-2020 at 07:27.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion