Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gogglebox Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Tom2

Never watched the UK one so I can't compare. Didn't expect to like this but I thought it was enjoyably funny and I'll be giving it another go.

It's an Irish thing to take the piss out of practically everything and I think that comes across nicely from almost all the participants.

Agree that the Cavan lads are the stars so far but, unlike some above, I thought the Cabra girls were entertaining too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'm a big fan of the UK programme. I didn't expect to like it at one bit. It's just people watching TV, after all, but I stumbled upon it one night on Channel Four and I was hooked immediately. I laughed myself silly. Honestly, it's probably my favourite show: it's just pure enjoyment. It works really well and is far better than it sounds.

I thought the first episode of the Irish show was pretty good. I did laugh at some of the comments. The big appeal is getting to know what each viewer is prone to saying in certain situations and that can take a few episodes until you feel that you know them. People who were expecting fireworks straight away were bound to be dissapointed. Give it time and have some patience.

I suppose I could criticise the somewhat scattershot nature of the clips they watched. Apart from the whole, seemingly anyway, half-hour they dedicated to Smalltown, which was clearly a shameless plug for TV3. They seemed to watch a lot of different shows, without really focusing on the noteworthy parts of any of them. Gogglebox UK would never make people watch a nature documentary, without passing up the opportunity for some junglesex and people's horrified reactions. A bit of animal riding is a key component of the show. They watched an episode of tipping point in which nothing really happened, seemed like a bit of a waste of time. I'd rather they concentrated on three or four main segments. In those situations you can feel like you're almost watching the programmes with the people on the couch, so the commentary can really hit home hilariously: the magic of googlebox.

In terms of the people on the show: Obviously, the twins from Cavan were great. Maybe they were a little bit "on" for the cameras at times, but some of the off the cuff stuff like the fly "being back" was hilarious. I liked the two sets of Dublin ladies, seemed natural and unforced.

Of course there was a few that made me go, "oh no" straight way. The two boys sitting on the couch in Cork seemed a bit pointless. And the older one of them used to appear on Don't Feed The Gondolas during the nineties, as a weekly plant in the audience who would ask Sean Moncrieff a strange creepy question, so I think he could be prone to hamming it up. The two sisters with the DORT speak were by far my least favourite. Their accents and tone of voice instantaneously wrecked my head. Though, I'll say this about Gogglebox: people you initially hate can grow on you after you spend time watching them, so I'm not writing anyone off yet. I don't dislike anyone on the UK version really. Apart from that soap-boxing female vicar who loves the sound of her own voice. She's a right pain in the arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Sparko

Arghus wrote: »
    ..I don't dislike anyone on the UK version really. Apart from that soap-boxing female vicar who loves the sound of her own voice. She's a right pain in the arse.

I'm a fan of most of them on the UK version, but I have to say Sandy and Sandra bug the **** out of me!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Arghus wrote: »

I suppose I could criticise the somewhat scattershot nature of the clips they watched. Apart from the whole, seemingly anyway, half-hour they dedicated to Smalltown, which was clearly a shameless plug for TV3. They seemed to watch a lot of different shows,

Their plugging of Smalltown didn't work for me anyway I deleted the series from my Sky Box after the clips I saw on Gogglebox... I don't need that misery!

Agree abut the UK Vicar, the husband says practically nothing. The two friends in the caravan in Hull are my favourites right now though I didn't take to them initially

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Blinder

Their plugging of Smalltown didn't work for me anyway I deleted the series ....

Worked on me. Hadn't heard about it. I downloaded and watched it after it was mentioned on gogglebox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭worded

Google box "squared" Would be better idea for the program

watching people watching people (with their knowledge, nothing sneaky mind) ..... Their comments on the google boxers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭batistuta9

New house on tonights show, 2 men from south Dublin.

Programmes watched; x factor, strictly & 50 ways to kill your mammy.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

What a conversation about trousers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 85,342 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The twins are gas

They're making me hungry eating their Dominos :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

The twins are fierce practical when it comes to tractors.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

The two Pauls need to go.

Autosport wrote: »
    They're making me hungry eating their Dominos :(

And me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Cdosrun

MrsD007 wrote: »
    The two Pauls need to go.

I agree you on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Lolamontez

Utterly boring episode

Aga and Syzmon are not really doing much

They seem to be showing the cursing this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Shadow1983

Anyone else think the picture in the Naughton family's wall is odd? A little girl flying through the clouds.

Who does their make up?

Who are the 2 new guys?

• Advertisement

Autosport wrote: »
    Who are the 2 new guys?

Two lad friends from Rialto Dublin 8

Martin and Rory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Anyone else find the Irish version harder to understand than the english one. They all seem to mutter incoherently half the time.

I think twins like Laura, legs crossed :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 53 ✭✭KyranW

The Dublin accent grates after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭sporina

i don't get the love for the twins.. the guy on the left is totally acting..

what am i missing??

i think the the cabra girls are funny..

The father from Athy is totally OTT..

The Pauls need to go for sure..

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Absolute sh**e full stop. The over acting on it is cringing to watch. Tried to give it the benefit of the doubt by watching it again tonight but I just couldn't stomach anymore of it. Definitely won't be tuning in again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 53 ✭✭KyranW

sporina wrote: »
    i don't get the love for the twins.. the guy on the left is totally acting..

what am i missing??

i think the the cabra girls are funny..

The father from Athy is totally OTT..

The Pauls need to go for sure..
    I know him, he's the biggest waster to have walked this earth. He has never worked a day in his life so I guess he has to spend all his energy on the show.

The young lad that sits on the couch from Limerick is good, very funny.

actually i think the real problem is the tv programs that they show.. they are rubbish.. I mean, why didn't they show Micheal D Higgins on the late late? That was a sensation in the media last weekend..

The only decent one was Inside Trinity IMO

KyranW wrote: »
    I know him, he's the biggest waster to have walked this earth. He has never worked a day in his life so I guess he has to spend all his energy on the show.

The young lad that sits on the couch from Limerick is good, very funny.

i'm not sure if you can say that there..:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

sporina wrote:
    actually i think the real problem is the tv programs that they show.. they are rubbish.. I mean, why didn't they show Micheal D Higgins on the late late? That was a sensation in the media last weekend..

Considering they have him on the table as a tea cosy

Advertisement