Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Series Trailer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Anyone watching this? Evans is shocking! :eek:

The Bear from Bo Selecta

• Registered Users Posts: 9,721 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Chris Evans is too loud and he's an awful narrator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

lertsnim wrote: »
    Chris Evans is too loud and he's an awful narrator.

Chris Evans is the worst narrator.....3sxufe.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Le Blanc and the German bird are too flat to make this work.....I'm convinced it needed someone like Guy Martin to bounce off Evans, as it is he's gonna try too hard and shout too much to keep it lively

• Registered Users Posts: 7,504 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Evans seems to be doing a shouty emulation of Clarkson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'm recording it so I can zip through it later but the bit I've seen (the chase in an airfield thing) looks horribly like a bad copy of what the Clarkson and co have done.

Yeah its the same show

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

This comment I saw on The Guardian summed it up:
    Its like watching The One Show do Top Gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'm kind-of warming to LeBlanc: he's got a kind of grumpy, laconic thing going. He is an actor, don't take his every expression at face value ...

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

They should really have got one of those UAVs they use in warzones rather than a quadcopter from LIDL for this bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snipey

Le Blanc is growing on me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭CFlat

Yea I think Leblanc is quite good, certainly on location and he can really drive but Evans is trying way too hard. I'd like more Sabine, thought she was good in the first clip.

I suppose it'll take time to get on the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,721 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Good to hear Hocus Pocus by Focus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Well I thought it was amusing enough. Kept me entertained well enough for an hour anyway, so I'll see what they get up to next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Cuban

Evans is a bit loud, and for the most experienced presenter of the two he seemed the weakest.
    They really need a third presenter too as Evans is 80% of the show.
    Overall not so bad, a mediocre start that can only get better from here

Okay just watched it

I'm shocked that they have changed almost nothing in the basic formula as it means they've been terribly lazy and will get pelters for it.

That said I do like Matt Le Blanc (who before Episodes I had never watched in anything) and it grew on me somewhat but they really should have ditched the studio segments as that doesn't really work ar all though to be fair, it took Clarkson and Co about 4 years before they really found their groove and started to hone it fully.

PS Deep Purple's accountant should be quite happy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

That said I do like Matt Le Blanc (who before Episodes I had never watched in anything) and it grew on me somewhat but they really should have ditched the studio segments as that doesn't really work ar all though to be fair, it took Clarkson and Co about 4 years before they really found their groove and started to hone it fully.

PS Deep Purple's accountant should be quite happy.

How can someone have never seen Friends?! :eek:

By being very quick with the remote! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

to be fair its the first one, so from that point of view it was a fair punt at it.

Sadly as a proper car nut, a lot of it is just nonsense - so no change there !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

In my opinion, that was just plain dreadful. As soon as I saw the chase between Chris and Sabine, I knew it was pure muck.

Can't say I'll be watching it next week.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

All a bit underwhelming alright.

Can understand not changing the format too much - they got a decent balance between making a few changes to set themselves out as a new team, while keeping the familiar air of the show. I liked the new lap layout (though it didn't feel the same of course - I know it was the point, but it's still worth saying)

I didn't really like the big intro for the guests. I guess "Old Top Gear" had a very down-to-earth feel to it; cheap yet cheerful, in keeping with the three northeners hosting it. Evans is more in your face, which I don't like. A grand exit for the guests just seems more over the top, more Evansy. Ditto the big wall screen. Ditto the cued cheers from the crowd (was it me, or did a lot of them look not that interested/impressed?). But let's see if that can grow. I suspect not, but let's see.

On Evans - he was quite annoying alright. Even during the laps, he was trying to get cheers and applause out of the crowd at every time. OTG was a bit more subtle. But then pretty much anything is more subtle than Chris Evans.

Matt LeBlanc was just dull. He livened up a bit for the Nomad piece - but surprisingly, it was his voiceovers that were worst. It sounded like he didn't really know how it was going to end up post-edit.

And I guess that was the problem for the hosts - which is understandable. It was their first time. It took OTG a couple of series to get into its groove, and it'll be the same here.

But while OTG had to invent a whole new format, NTG just copied it. And so on that basis, the Blackpool bit was just pointless. Two Reliant Robins (or the successor - can't remember the name now) with the rooves cut off for no particular reason. Then they get ditched, and we get two old jeeps, which just do a bit of a drag race before leaving Blackpool entirely and climbing a mountain in the Lake District. Let's ignore that OTG already did that (and Clarkson got a bit of grief for it) - there was no real thread to the film at all. And that's a bit disappointing given they weren't trying to invent something new.

And the other two films - while both were ok enough in concept - were very similar, which seemed a bit silly.

The main thing though is that there's no rapport between LeBlanc and Evans, which just highlighted how important a part of OTG the Clarkson/May/Hammond link was. Again, that may grow in time - but it left a huge hole in tonight's show.

Laughs? Just the one I think - Evans giving the second lap time as "One minute....just kidding! Two minutes ten"

So - yeah. Bit meh really. I'll probably watch on for a few more episodes to see if it goes anywhere, but I woudn't be recording it if I was out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Very mixed for me. Eisenberg was a good guest and I enjoyed the Nomad segment. Le Blanc was good for the odd laugh but a terrible narrator. Schmitz was uninspiring but to be expected - she's a driver not a presenter. Her "shootout" was too clearly set up. Evans tried too hard and was quite unnatural.
    It's the first so I'll give it a chance before I form a full opinion but it's a little worrying...

It all seemed like an imitatation of Top Gear, instead of an actual episode, as if some famous people got hold of a TG script and made an episode of it.

Very weak opening. Next week actually sounds more interesting. I'll be more looking forward to TGT than I was for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,671 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I did not watch this live and will not be watching it. I did not bother recording it either so can,t watch it :). As far as I am concerned the real Top Gear ended when the other 3 left and this should be named something else.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,671 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Tinie wrote: »
    How can someone have never seen Friends?! :eek:

He is very lucky unfortunately I have seen episodes of it and I still think its terrible and not the slightest bit funny.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

AMKC wrote: »
    I did not watch this live and will not be watching it. I did not bother recording it either so can,t watch it :). As far as I am concerned the real Top Gear ended when the other 3 left and this should be named something else.

Great input. You didn't watch but have decided already that you don't like it.

Having watched it, I thought it was an average episode. Evans was definitely trying too hard, hopefully he will settle into it in the next few episodes. Matt was ok, I didn't like the car at all so wasn't really interested but I though my he was ok for his first review. Sabbine was pretty poor, though I thought that whole segment was poor.

Did anyone see the Extra on BBC 3, it was pretty good, nothing too amazing though, had another segment with Sabbine. I like Chris Harris and the other lad, can't remember his name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭recyclops

same old top gears with slightly less xenophobia i will tune in next week as i got a fair few chuckles during it

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

The SIARPC segment on old Top Gear was very hit or miss but I dont think it worked in the current form last night, it was very much top trumps, it could be just for the first show but if it continues down that path its going to be pretty dull, IMO.

I did enjoy the rally cross though, that was a nice change, something different but they should have borrowed the open guest format of a new car change to invite as many down as possible.

I'll probably watch every episode but the unless the Chemistry improves and it isnt as forced, its not going to flow very well.

Not a terrible start but not a great start either.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

So I got to see most of it last night but with a little fella wanting Daddy's attention at the same time I thought I'd try again today...

- 30 seconds in and Evans is grating on me again.. VERY bloody shouty, hyper and just a big child. I know this works for him on TGI or the radio but it doesn't work for TG. Maybe they got him cheap?
    - Big entrance for LeBlanc. Like, big deal! He's a host on the show and Evans doing a little lap around him is cringeworthy. You'd think they got Tom Cruise or something. Zero chemistry between him and Evans
    - Despite all the talk of the new presenter line-up, it seems most of them are relegated to extras on segments or the after show? What's that about anyway?
    - Lots of audience shots and forced cheering and clapping - hey look, we're popular! Although the audience doesn't look that thrilled a lot of the time
    - Top Gun section was a rip of similar segments done in the past. Sabine Schmidt I don't get the love for. She's a driver not a presenter and it shows. Also STFU Evans!
    - Somewhat petty that they redid all the lap times in Evan's handwriting
    - The Reliant segment.. shyte, and shows how little chemistry there is between the two of them
    - SIARPC.. More Evans shouting and audience hyping. He thinks he's doing TGI again. Preferred the old way of the guests just "being there" as well to be honest, seemed more down to earth
    - The Nomad section was better. Probably the best segment. LeBlanc much better on his own
    - The Wills jeep vs Land Rover bit was better too. Again down to LeBlanc

Overall though it's a poor clone of the format it's trying to copy which was all about the interaction between the 3 lads. BBC should have either gone with a completely new format, or just let it die as I can't see this being accepted by the viewers - especially when TGT starts on AMazon and reminds us how it should be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭duffman3833

i though it was good, i watched it as casually as i could without thinking if it was better than old TG or try to compare it and i thought it was enjoyable. If you keep thinking of the old TG you wont enjoy the new one. Give it time and it will get better. Same with football players, some dont like change but give it time and it will get better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    So I got to see most of it last night but with a little fella wanting Daddy's attention at the same time I thought I'd try again today...

- 30 seconds in and Evans is grating on me again.. VERY bloody shouty, hyper and just a big child. I know this works for him on TGI or the radio but it doesn't work for TG. Maybe they got him cheap?
    - Big entrance for LeBlanc. Like, big deal! He's a host on the show and Evans doing a little lap around him is cringeworthy. You'd think they got Tom Cruise or something. Zero chemistry between him and Evans
    - Despite all the talk of the new presenter line-up, it seems most of them are relegated to extras on segments or the after show? What's that about anyway?
    - Lots of audience shots and forced cheering and clapping - hey look, we're popular! Although the audience doesn't look that thrilled a lot of the time
    - Top Gun section was a rip of similar segments done in the past. Sabine Schmidt I don't get the love for. She's a driver not a presenter and it shows. Also STFU Evans!
    - Somewhat petty that they redid all the lap times in Evan's handwriting
    - The Reliant segment.. shyte, and shows how little chemistry there is between the two of them
    - SIARPC.. More Evans shouting and audience hyping. He thinks he's doing TGI again. Preferred the old way of the guests just "being there" as well to be honest, seemed more down to earth
    - The Nomad section was better. Probably the best segment. LeBlanc much better on his own
    - The Wills jeep vs Land Rover bit was better too. Again down to LeBlanc

Overall though it's a poor clone of the format it's trying to copy which was all about the interaction between the 3 lads. BBC should have either gone with a completely new format, or just let it die as I can't see this being accepted by the viewers - especially when TGT starts on AMazon and reminds us how it should be done.

Jeremy Clarkson makes "joke" at James May's expense. Richard Hammond giggles and gurns.

Presenters buy three old cars. Jeremy Clarkson and Richard Hammond bump into James May's purchase.

The three presenters go on a trip somewhere and Jeremy Clarkson makes derogatory comments about the natives. Richard Hammond giggles and gurns.

Regular references to Britain beating Germany in the World Cup (true), and in WWII (no mention of Americans or other allies)

Presenters attempt to make something. Jeremy Clarkson uses a sledgehammer.

I can't wait.

Advertisement