Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Goodmans 50" LED €399

• 25-06-2014 9:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭

Power city.
    While stocks last...

Goodmans 50 Saorview Tv
    50hz 1080p Hd Tv
    Live Pause And Record Ready
    3x Hdmi Digital Av Connections
    Usb Media Player
    7 Day Rte Program Guide
    Aertel Digital Teletext
    10x Rte Digital Radio Stations
    Energy Rating A
    Pc In Via Vga Or Hdmi
    Scart Connection
    Earphone Socket
    Record Needs Usb Key Or Hdd

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-14-9050019
    55qy.png

Stock left today
    Tallaght
    Sallynoggin
    Blanchardstown
    Finglas
    Coolock
    Fonthill
    Bray
    Drogheda
    Naas

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

They've also a Goodmans 39" Saorview TV and dvd combi at €299 which seems a decent price. Though are those combi tvs still a bit of a nuisance? I was told it's better to get 2 seperate devices as the combi sets break /malfunction more easily. Never had one so have no experience of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

A great price for a 50" tv alright. Only concern would be the 50 HZ refresh rate which puts it at the low end of the scale if you're watching something with fast-moving images.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Well, I'm taking a punt on this. 50hz should make feck all difference. In fact, I hate the motion upscaling of higher hz TV's. Makes everything look like a soap opera.

Tempted by the 39" Goodmans Tv/DVD I mentioned above but never heard of Goodmans TV's .....anyone got one?Are they decent?Whats picture and sound quality like? Some of these cheaper Tv's have poor,tinny sound and crappy picture.

Goodman's have been around for a very long time.
    The only negative with the 50" I have read is the sound but that's the same with all TVs really. No one should be using a large TV without a 5.1 surround system for the sound.

Picking mine up in a few minutes but not sure when I will get to test it as I'm in the process of moving.

• Advertisement

My budget is €300, cant quite stretch to the €400 for the 50". Anyway,its just for the spare room so a 39" will do me fine.

Let us know how you find it Saruman,if feedback is good,I might get mine over the weekend.I presume if sound is decent on the 50",it'll be decent on the 39". I'm still a little wary of those TV/combi sets though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

Saruman wrote: »
    Goodman's have been around for a very long time.
    The only negative with the 50" I have read is the sound but that's the same with all TVs really. No one should be using a large TV without a 5.1 surround system for the sound.

Picking mine up in a few minutes but not sure when I will get to test it as I'm in the process of moving.

goodmans were around for a very long time. and their products weren't bad for the budget end of the market.

Alba bought them then argos bought them. Now they are brutal, the cheapest, crapest chinese imports with the goodmans label stuck on them.

Argos have bought brand names of loads of companies. They know people wouldn'd buy stuff if the label said argos.

donegal. wrote: »
    goodmans were around for a very long time. and their products weren't bad for the budget end of the market.

Alba bought them then argos bought them. Now they are brutal, the cheapest, crapest chinese imports with the goodmans label stuck on them.

Argos have bought brand names of loads of companies. They know people wouldn'd buy stuff if the label said argos.

Well, the TV I'm upgrading is a 32" Technica I bought in tesco for the same price years ago, back when flat screen TVs cost a fortune. It's still going strong and will be used in another room. I'm not that fussy, just want a decent sized display with a decent image.

By the way, set it up at lunch time there and I'm happy so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

I would be very careful with 50hz TV's, I had a 50hz Samsung LED Full HD tv about two years ago and motion looked awful. Literally anything moving on the screen looked shoddy as hell.

I wouldn't go with this one if I were you.

Well, I'm taking a punt on this. 50hz should make feck all difference. In fact, I hate the motion upscaling of higher hz TV's. Makes everything look like a soap opera.

That's only if you turn on the motion plus/processing features on your tv. If you leave them off, motion looks perfect and film-like.

• Advertisement

Sam Mac wrote: »
    That's only if you turn on the motion plus/processing features on your tv. If you leave them off, motion looks perfect and film-like.

Yeah I know, although I have heard of some that you can't turn it off.

Yeah I know, although I have heard of some that you can't turn it off.

On very few it has been said that is the case, but on more recent models they have extensive processing features that should all be left 'off'.

I only use the TV for digital shows like netflix etc. I don't watch "TV" as such. I'll probably get a Saorview aerial just so I can watch rugby on RTE but otherwise, I don't watch sports so I doubt I will have too much of an issue with motion blur and at the end of the day, it was only €400 so I can get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭carefulnow100

So would this TV be Ok for general sky TV and dvd viewing? I play the odd with of x box as well and is been looking for a larger screen for a while now. This seems well worth €400?
    If it's rubbish I won't Bother taking a punt on it!

I only used it for 5 minutes today. Some shows on UPC (SD) looked a little crap and others looked just fine. I have seen that with lots of TVs using a SD input rather than HD.
    The real test will be for blu ray and HD content which I can't test until next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

if you're looking for a 50" tv and your budget is €400 then this is the tv to go for.

but its not a bargain as such. Its not a €650 tv with 40% off. Its a cheap tv selling at a cheap price.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭bodhi085

I purchased this today from powercity. Apart from the sound being a little tinny it's actually a very good tv with excellent picture. I have full blu ray surround set up and tested three blu ray films this evening.. (Point break,transformers and back to the future 3) the colours are excellent and general hd quality I'm more than happy with. I've gone from a 42 inch hd ready tv to this 50 inch full hd. The difference is very noticeable. I already have a soundbar so I've hooked it up to the tv so I can watch sky/free view through that sound system and blu ray/ dvds through the blu ray surround system. The frame around the tv is thin in a subtle gun metal grey finish. There are enough connections on the back for Xbox etc. the main stand is glass black. I've set it up as country uk so it's auto tuned free view with the uk and Irish tv channels through dtv and the sky has come through the atv tuning. I just have to switch which one I want to watch. I use my sky box as freesat box so I've the best of all three channel set ups. (Free view,sky,soarview)
    So I would recommend this tv as personally it does all I want it to do. I don't stream I don't care about fast moving sports coverage. Movies and games so it's perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Googling seems to suggest its made by Cello.

Speaking of Cello, a 58" for €899 too

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-14-265415&brands=CELLO

donegal. wrote: »
    if you're looking for a 50" tv and your budget is €400 then this is the tv to go for.

but its not a bargain as such. Its not a €650 tv with 40% off. Its a cheap tv selling at a cheap price.

According to the site, it's RRP is €569.95 with €140.00 off and that would make it €429.95 so technically, this is a bargain on top of a bargain ;)

Hard to know since no where else seems to sell this TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

A few years ago I worked somewhere which sold Cello TV's, they were a disaster. I'd say about 50% of them came back within a few months. Not sure what they're like now, but it would make me skeptical.

• Advertisement

According to the site, it's RRP is €569.95 with €140.00 off and that would make it €429.95 so technically, this is a bargain on top of a bargain ;)

Hard to know since no where else seems to sell this TV.

You should know by now that Powercity/PC World/Currys/Harvey Norman's RRP's are bullsh!t. No way is this tv worth nearly 600 quid. Not with a 50hz refresh rate & an unknown brand.

Advertisement