Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ebony Planks.

Options
  • 03-12-2020 10:12am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I came across this ad today for Ebony planks.

https://www.donedeal.ie/adview/view/26495471

They dont look dark enough to be true ebony, maybe

from the Diospyros species, not sure really.

But if it is, then his asking is very reasonable. I asked him how sure was he its ebony. He said a woodturner bought some .

K.

Comments

A lot of ebony looks just like that. Better to see it out of the forest and available rather than left there or burnt because it’s not black enough for piano keys, jewellery and instrument fretboards/bridges/pegs I say!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

It looks more like Macassar ebony which is a different species to the black African ebony I think its an endangered species now and almost impossible to find.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

recipio wrote: »
    It looks more like Macassar ebony which is a different species to the black African ebony I think its an endangered species now and almost impossible to find.

Thats what I would be thinking too, Macassar ebony.

Advertisement