Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for wood suffestions for a bath "mat"

Options
  • 01-12-2020 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi There,

I've been asked to put together a couple of wooden "bath mats".

Strips of wood put together for the shower and bathroom.

Building them should be no problem, but what would be the best wood to use and, importantly, where could I get it around Meath/Dublin?

Any suggestions on finishes would be interesting as well!

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

-Altoid.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Romer

I've always been partial to Red Cedar for that kind of thing. Doesn't need to be treated. Handles water well and gives a nice smell when wet as well.

Hence the widespread use in sauna's.

Looks like there's a place called Timber Ireland around Dublin that can supply it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've seen them made from teak too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Alun wrote: »
    I've seen them made from teak too.

You won't find teak in any Irish or UK shop. Its going to be Iroko, a different species from Africa. Some retailers sell it as 'Teak - Iroko' which actually is fine for a shower mat. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Altoid

Hi,

Thanks for all the info.

Where is the Teak-Iroko available here?

Otherwise the ceder seems to be a good option to.

Thanks again.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

All the hand operated pumps throughout the country decades ago,

used elm for the pumpshafts. There was a saying related to the use of elm in such a fashion,

so I have been told by old timers years ago.

" Keep me wet or keep me dry, and the heart of oak I will defy "
    Which I took to mean use for one or the other environments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Whatever you do rubber feet. Keep the wood off the ground to air dry and obviously for slipping prevention

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

It is nasty
    Altoid wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks for all the info.

Where is the Teak-Iroko available here?

Otherwise the ceder seems to be a good option to.

Thanks again.

Iroko is available at practically all the wood suppliers like Brooks and Chadwicks. You have to buy it in the rough and plane it down.It is nasty stuff with dust like pepper so ideally use a planer thicknesser with dust extraction. I can't help with buying CedarI'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Stanirish

I used Alder, as it mainly used in Steam rooms - got it in http://www.murdockhardwood.com/ - just phoned them and told them the sizes I needed, and they sent it to me next day !! - was very handy

Advertisement