Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I claim or pay up if it is my fault?

Options
  • 21-11-2020 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi all the other night i was pulling away form a shop doing a u turn i didn’t see a guy on a moped he slammed into the car came off the bike, so totally my fault. I got out helped him up he was fine. We exchanged numbers. He rang me today said he had an issue with his bike and it had to be fixed, i said no problem ill sort it, he said he hadn’t a figure on cost yet as guy was looking for parts.
    Im wondering should i just pay this garage or call my insurer, will this severely knock my insurance up down the line im wondering. all advice appreciated. thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

As much as this will hurt your insurance, I'd report the accident to them. You can never be sure if there'll be a personal injury claim down the road, and they might wash their hands of it if you haven't told them about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭treascon

You have an obligation to notify your insurer of this incident. Only material damage claim now but could very easily turn into a personal injury claim also. If it is material damage only you could always reimburse your insurer once finalised

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ETRY

Ok thanks for the advice. I appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭rolling boh

There is always a chance he will get an idea rightly or wrongly to pursue an injury claim if he has time to think about it somebody else could put the idea into his head and then you will end up with a lot of bother with your insurance unfortunetly .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Inform your insurer, and inform them the other party and yourself are attempting to settle between yourselves(for the damage etc).

If you reach an agreement, then write up a receipt upon which you must included 'full & final settlement' of the claim, and pay the money.

Once that is done, go back to your insurer and tell them the claim can be cancelled from their system, and they'll want a copy of the signed receipt.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

galwaytt wrote: »
    Inform your insurer, and inform them the other party and yourself are attempting to settle between yourselves(for the damage etc).

If you reach an agreement, then write up a receipt upon which you must included 'full & final settlement' of the claim, and pay the money.

Once that is done, go back to your insurer and tell them the claim can be cancelled from their system, and they'll want a copy of the signed receipt.

I dont think that receipt has a legal standing.as "full and final settlement" as far as I can recall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Pasteur.

I dont think that receipt has a legal standing.as "full and final settlement" as far as I can recall

No means nothing lol

Op will have to notify insurer or he'll be sweating on a personal injury claim

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Pasteur. wrote: »

Op will have to notify insurer or he'll be sweating on a personal injury claim

Exactly this, I was involved in a minor crash in 2015 and informed my insurance company (I was using my Fully Comp to settle everything). They told me at the time that a Personal Injury claim could come in any time up to 2 years from the date of the accident.... It didn't, so I was quite lucky.

You should let your insurance company know for sure. The guy came off his bike so might get a twinge in a few weeks and you will be in a world of hassle then.

Advertisement