Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accoya.

Options
  • 27-11-2020 8:55pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone here have any experience with Accoya materials sold by Abbeywoods.

Have a project coming up that I would be interested in trying this materail instead of 2" thick red deal planks.

Thankyou

K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

It's easy to work with, greenish in colour, cuts and machines easily, very stable, not kiln dried, the planks are very uniform, €70/ cu ft, polyurethane glue works best with it, the only downside I can see with it, is it's more brittle than regular softwood.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Is it suitable for external use.
    How does the price compare with regular red deal.

thanks.
    K

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

As above re workability and uniformity.

It much more expensive, IIRC and is suitable for outdoors
    see here
    https://www.accoya.com/uk/

only downside I found was that the range was limited

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

It's designed for outdoor use, Accoya is a trade name, not an actual type of tree, it's pine which has been treated with an acid, which removes the wood cells which start the process of decay, by removing them the wood is not supposed to rot, when you cut through a plank it smells like vinegar, if you contact Abbey Woods, they will mail you a detailed list of their stock.

This is a page from there stock list, it will give you some idea of the sizes they carry, in 50-75 mm thickness, price wise it will be 3 to 4 times more expensive than red deal, they also sell tricoya, which is Accoya MDF, approx €200 for 10 by 5, 18mm sheet

• Advertisement

Here's the list

Ouch, 4 times red deal, maybe i would be better going with Iroko then,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

am curious about how it's treated - is it more environmentally friendly than pressure treated wood? if as they say, it'll last 25 years in wet freshwater conditions, you'd hope if there is any acid left it won't be problematic if it leaches out.

kadman wrote: »
    Ouch, 4 times red deal, maybe i would be better going with Iroko then,

Iroko will cost 40-50 /cuft, you will have wastage, and is horrible to work , Accoya is 70, the planks are well graded, little or no wastage, and a pleasure to work.
    I suppose to justify the extra expense, it will depend on the amount of wood needed, in context of the overall price of the job, most of the jobs I've used Accoya on, the wood cost is small in comparison to the labour, such as sash window repair. Another disadvantage with Accoya is it's very bland to look at, not much grain pattern

I used Iroko through out my woodworking life.

I never regarded it as horrible to work at all, and used it from standard joinery items,
    to all manner of architectural joinery.

If its only 50 euro a cubic foot and durable for outside use, then its what I will probably go for.

Coens used to be my main supplier in the midlands, main factory in Galway, but gone now.

Its probably going to be Brookes in Tullamore then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement