Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Food

Options
  • 15-11-2020 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭

Hey all just wondering has anyone recommendations for Dog Food for an 11 year old Lab? He's in general good health but definitely can see some issues with stiffness creeping in with his back legs.

He was on Gain - Muesli for pretty much as long as I can remember, but unfortunately I cant seem to source it in shops anymore. Tried the Gain - Original but it didnt seem to suit him at all in terms of number 2s! Was really dusty and bitty.

So question is, anyone know a good online site I could order Gain - Muesli, or would any have any other suggestions? I was able to pick up Gain from the local shops for 20 quid before it disappeared :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

If Gain suits him then maybe try him on one of the better quality Gain foods such as Gain Elite. It is easy to get too. The muesli would not be great quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

joe123 wrote: »
    Hey all just wondering has anyone recommendations for Dog Food for an 11 year old Lab? He's in general good health but definitely can see some issues with stiffness creeping in with his back legs.

He was on Gain - Muesli for pretty much as long as I can remember, but unfortunately I cant seem to source it in shops anymore. Tried the Gain - Original but it didnt seem to suit him at all in terms of number 2s! Was really dusty and bitty.

So question is, anyone know a good online site I could order Gain - Muesli, or would any have any other suggestions? I was able to pick up Gain from the local shops for 20 quid before it disappeared :(

If stiffness is creeping in try adding a joint supplement (yumove), salmon oil to the food daily and maybe get an arthritis assessment via your vet?

Tumeric paste is a good natural anti inflammatory..

There are lots of things (natural things) that can help with arthritis/ joint issues and making the ageing process easier on your dog

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Has he had a senior checkup lately? He might need some pain relief from the vet if you’re noticing stiffness. For the gain - I’m sure I’ve seen that muesli food on FB in a hardware shop post so you may need to shop around for it. I know zooplus do similar mixes too?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 sambor

joe123 wrote: »

Hi, honestly gain is not great food. you get what you pay for. I have mines on Ownat grain free
    from mutts.ie also Salomon oil would help and jont supplements. we also use physio for oldest guy (42 kg 9 years German Shepherd).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

For the senior dogs when picking new food, keep an eye on the protein levels in the food. Very high protein can put extra strain on the kidneys.

If you can get them onto a fish based food high in omega 3 then go that direction with it ideally but some dogs can be a bit funny about the fish based food, others lap it up. The omega 3 is beneficial for joint movement.

The joint supplement is certainly a step in the right direction and will do no harm. An assessment from the vet is certainly worth it as if it comes to a point where its painful for the dog its better for the vet to be in the loop so he can help manage it with light medication.

Just remember when changing foods , its best done over at least a 2 week period where you gradually increase the ratio of new food to old.

I had our girl on the James Wellbeloved and i it suited her down to the ground. A good piece of advice with the foods is that you will often find with the more expensive foods that the quantity you are meant to be feeding is less as its nutrionally richer than the cheaper foods so overall it works out quite comparable with the cheaper bags.

• Advertisement

For the senior dogs when picking new food, keep an eye on the protein levels in the food. Very high protein can put extra strain on the kidneys.

Phosphate levels are what you should be watching if kidneys are a worry. Unless your dog has proteinuria ie is leaking protein which can easily be checked with a urine sample, there is no need to restrict protein level at all until the end stages of kidney disease... and at that the jury is out on whether restricting protein is the right course of action at all. (Also it goes without saying that if there's a kidney concern you shouldn't be feeding a dry food either...)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Peppa

Second Tumeric. Look up Golden Paste. Humans & animals have had great results. Look at link here and if you have any questions join the FB page (link in the page).

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.turmericlife.com.au/blogs/recipes/turmeric-recipes-golden-paste&ved=2ahUKEwjtpJKsppztAhWRTxUIHfslAKgQFjAAegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw2VND77KMjqqGXQDa61DIWP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Has anyone every used Miscota.ie?

Some of the expensive dog foods are almost half the price?
    I’m reading mixed reviews but now very tempted to
    take the plunge.

15kg of ownat puppy classic is 47 delivered to the door.

I used them for something a few years ago - they were a bit slower than zooplus but no problems with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

not sure if you are near Naas, but the manager of Petstop (Toughers business park) is great for advice and has a great understanding of dogs and their requirements and I'd often see him give advice of foods for various dogs (along with my own) and giving the reasons for the advice.

Well worth a trip if anywhere within reasonable travelling distance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement