Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to begin -basics to ruby on rails

Options
  • 02-12-2020 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Looking for a bit of guidance. My ultimate aim is to create a platform using Ruby on Rails.
    I am a beginner so looking to find out where is the best place to begin learning basics, other beginner languages before moving onto Ruby.

I am at a loss online as to what is the best resources or place to start as there are a plethora of people selling course and saying to learn html etc first and others saying to begin with basics of Ruby.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,018 ✭✭✭Talisman

If you are only starting out then you may as well learn it properly, Ruby is easy to learn and will spoil you somewhat if you move on to other languages afterwards.

Look for the book "Practical Object-Oriented Design: An Agile Primer Using Ruby" by Sandi Metz. The book won't teach you Ruby but it will teach you how to properly do object-oriented programming which is handy to know if you want to be a developer as a career.

"Learn Enough Ruby to Be Dangerous" by Michael Hartl will teach you what you need to know to get competent with Ruby.

"Ruby on Rails Tutorial" by Michael Hartl will teach you how to build projects with Ruby on Rails.

Those three books should be more than enough to get you where you want to go. If you don't know anything about HTML, CSS and general web development then you'll need to consult a few other resources on your journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Chacha97

Talisman wrote: »
    If you are only starting out then you may as well learn it properly, Ruby is easy to learn and will spoil you somewhat if you move on to other languages afterwards.

Look for the book "Practical Object-Oriented Design: An Agile Primer Using Ruby" by Sandi Metz. The book won't teach you Ruby but it will teach you how to properly do object-oriented programming which is handy to know if you want to be a developer as a career.

"Learn Enough Ruby to Be Dangerous" by Michael Hartl will teach you what you need to know to get competent with Ruby.

"Ruby on Rails Tutorial" by Michael Hartl will teach you how to build projects with Ruby on Rails.

Those three books should be more than enough to get you where you want to go. If you don't know anything about HTML, CSS and general web development then you'll need to consult a few other resources on your journey.

Thank you so much for that info it is greatly appreciated!

Yeah I have done some very basic into to HTML and general development but I think I consult more introductory resources to lay the general foundations before beginning journey on Ruby.

Thank you for the book recommendations I'll be sure to pick them up! Much rather a book than paying for a course that is a money scam imo.

Thanks again for the help!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,152 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

There's a web dev course free on udemy at the mo: Build Responsive Website Using HTML5, CSS3, JS And Bootstrap

Bit of a lottery as to whether it's any good or not probably but free is free.

Worth following this thread in the BA forum, regularly has software dev courses for free: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=115498733#post115498733

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Chacha97

Mickeroo wrote: »
    There's a web dev course free on udemy at the mo: Build Responsive Website Using HTML5, CSS3, JS And Bootstrap

Bit of a lottery as to whether it's any good or not probably but free is free.

Worth following this thread in the BA forum, regularly has software dev courses for free: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=115498733#post115498733

You are right there! A total lottery!

But dead on, free is free.

Followed the thread!

Advertisement