Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

peteeeed wrote: »
    American sitcom television series

And a pretty decent one. It's no Parks and Recreation but it definitely has a cast of likeable characters and will engender the odd chuckle.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Watched the first episode of Lupin.. really good!

Zips along and is flashy and fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,831 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

pixelburp wrote: »
    And a pretty decent one. It's no Parks and Recreation but it definitely has a cast of likeable characters and will engender the odd chuckle.
    It's decent isn't it.
    I particularly like the Dina and Cheyenne characters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

informer, cheat and superstore all lesser-known shows that are worth a look

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭McGrath5

The Night Stalker documentary series is excellent, best original content from Netflix in a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Avoid that irish film Broken Law.

Absolute garbage from the start and I gave after about 40 minutes or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭acequion

Basq wrote: »
    Watched the first episode of Lupin.. really good!

Zips along and is flashy and fun!

Was just about to post asking about that as a friend recommended it. But this friend and I would have fairly different tastes.

Anyone else watching it and what's the verdict?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

McGrath5 wrote: »
    The Night Stalker documentary series is excellent, best original content from Netflix in a long time.

Good reminder that journalists and the media in general are absolute dirt too.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Larsso30

McGrath5 wrote: »

Agreed, excellent excellent series.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Avoid that irish film Broken Law.

Absolute garbage from the start and I gave after about 40 minutes or so.

Came in to ask the question which it seems you've already answered...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

acequion wrote: »
    Was just about to post asking about that as a friend recommended it. But this friend and I would have fairly different tastes.

Anyone else watching it and what's the verdict?

Lupin is good. Starts like a light-hearted heist story but gets a little darker. There are only 5 episodes but more are coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Larsso30 wrote: »
    Agreed, excellent excellent series.

Yup. Really does well at evoking the time period. I'd seen a lot of documentaries / listen to podcasts about the night stalker but this was the first i've seen with the detectives involved. Gripping stuff.

Would like to see one about the BTK killer. Some frightening story and how he got caught is gripping too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭4Ad

Just finished Babyteeth.
    Australian film, gritty,uplifting, funny..
    Def worth watching, maybe wait til after Covid and Lockdown !!

The casting is brilliant !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Just watched all of Whitechapel. BBC 4 seasons, 6 episodes each. Starts out with Comcast Jack the ripper and goes from there. Good little series, pretty it was cancelled before a proper ending, it's left with a bit of a meh feeling, of " I could keep piling random mysteries on top of each other, I'm only impressed if you find a way to make it all make sense".
    But still enjoyed it, and would be delighted if they ever did come back to wrap it up (but not too neatly) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Just watched all of Whitechapel. BBC 4 seasons, 6 episodes each. Starts out with Comcast Jack the ripper and goes from there. Good little series, pretty it was cancelled before a proper ending, it's left with a bit of a meh feeling, of " I could keep piling random mysteries on top of each other, I'm only impressed if you find a way to make it all make sense".
    But still enjoyed it, and would be delighted if they ever did come back to wrap it up (but not too neatly) :)

I really liked it in its own not overly ambitions, old fashioned British TV sorta way

Ripper Street is good too, at least the earlier seasons

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

DavyD_83 wrote: »

I liked Whitechapel as well - bit weird how they shoehorned Steve Pemberton into the following seasons but it's a charming show and I really enjoyed it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Another thumbs up for lupin...a oceans 11 kind of vibe from it ..mixed with law abiding citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

Another upvote for Lupin and Nightstalker. Both excellent series.

Watched a movie called Inheritance yesterday. Lily Collins was ok, but Simon Pegg was excellent!

Also, I believe there’s a new series of Call My Agent coming next week. It’s a real gem of a comedy. I could’ve sworn I read last year that it had been cancelled, but maybe they had a change of heart?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

Also, I believe there’s a new series of Call My Agent coming next week. It’s a real gem of a comedy. I could’ve sworn I read last year that it had been cancelled, but maybe they had a change of heart?

It's out here Thursday. It's already been out in Canada and France. Meant to be a drop in standard from what I hear, so it could be the last season. Still looking forward to it, the first three were brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

The actor Camille Cottin from CMA my agent will be on Graham Norton next week she was great as Andrea. I agree the first series was the best but think I'll still probably watch the next one..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

Heckler wrote: »
    Yup. Really does well at evoking the time period. I'd seen a lot of documentaries / listen to podcasts about the night stalker but this was the first i've seen with the detectives involved. Gripping stuff.

Would like to see one about the BTK killer. Some frightening story and how he got caught is gripping too.

I read a book written by the FBI agent who caught the BTK. It is a terrifying story and profoundly disturbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Watched "Outside the Wire" last night, echoes of mid nineties DTV sci-fi with a bit of Training day, not great

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

santana75 wrote: »
    I read a book written by the FBI agent who caught the BTK. It is a terrifying story and profoundly disturbing.

The btk testimony is beyond chilling..if ever there was a guy nxt door take no notice type fella,it's him. Its on YouTube,he describes each attack in such coldness it's terrifying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Heckler wrote: »

Agreed, another one on the Golden State killer would be even better imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Gruesome stuff, not sure how anyone watches it but there's a lot of you on this thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 60,285 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Outside the Wire was an awful load of rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Watched 45 minutes of Outside the Wire. Had to switch it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭ClydeTallyBump

Just finished Alice in Borderland. Amazing. Really loved it. Can't wait for season 2.

I also watched Sweet Home. Terrible soundtrack but I enjoyed it. Based in Seoul. Some very strong female characters in it which was refreshing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,909 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Spaced still holds up very well, great good natured comedy (with a few swear words thrown in) for anyone looking for that kind of thing.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Watched Long Shot with Seth Rogen and Charlize Theron. I remember it being out a few years ago but didn't hear much about it.

He plays a journalist who is hired by Theron's secretary of state to be her speech writer as she prepares to launch her bid for the presidency.
    It's a really good rom-com with a good dash of Rogen's usual brand of humour. Maybe a tad long at just over 2 hours, but I really enjoyed it.

Advertisement