Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mazda Bongo roof

Options
  • 25-06-2020 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello to any Mazda Bongo owners out there.

We bought a Bongo last year but due to the lock down haven't used it much.

Now that things are starting to look up again we are getting it road ready but have run into a problem.

The roof will not open, it's stuck!

We have checked the UK Bongo forums, Bongo Fury website and tried all of the suggestions with no joy.

Does anyone know of any garages in the Kildare area (or possibly Mayo), that might be familiar with these models?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers

BongoBonkers

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

There's a very good Bongo owners group on Facebook. They're always posting up issues and someone is able to answer it.

I think there was a mention of a mechanic who knows Bongos on this thread: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=98009028

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

i had that recently with my own - usual suspects in order of simplicity are:
    make sur enegine running and handbrake is on
    make sure light is on dash for handbrake
    microswitch at handbrake
    roof control module at rear of van (if this is getting 12v on the terminals to the motor with the roof open switch pressed, it is likely that your motors are sezied)

if you are mechanically competent, it is straight forward enough to raise the roof, remove the motors, overhaul them and put them back in. Without use, they can seize. Im assuming you are based in kildare?

edit - rough guide:
    - remove headlining in rear (requires removing side panels, not a massive job)
    - remove bolts holding roof hinge
    - gently lever the rear of the roof up - about 3 inches should be ok
    - use very small hands to remove motor covers
    - use allen key to remove three bolts
    - unclip wiring
    - drop motor
    - same on other side
    - remove two scres in motor, and remove casing being careful to not loose the ball bearings, may require a tap of a hammer to free up any seized bits
    - remove rotor
    - clean all components with suitable cleaning product
    - regrease with suitable grease where applicable
    - rebuild & refit.

I have a manual for it, if you get stuck (or if your mechanic gets stuck), let me know and i can ping you on some of the relevant details. What year bongo is it - mine is a 96. roof should be similar across all models, but not sure what way the wiring is in the later models.
    Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1 thedozzler

Hi I have this exact same problem and wonder if you can supply more help please, everything appears to be fine and making all the right noises and checked the basics, I get the bleep from roof switch and can here what sounds like a relay or something clicking near the rear when I press switch - but nothing moving not even slightly . I cannot see a roof control module to check if that’s working or not, where would that be located - I have a side conversion and mine is also 1996, do I need to remove the side conversion before I can remove headlining ? One other thing is I have wedged a thin mattress in the roof last time I closed it (over a year ago) could that have any impact at all, does the safety switch have any relevance when roof is stuck down. Any extra help appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 6,815 ✭✭✭Alkers

You likely would need to remove your conversion to get the side panels and then the headlining off.

Never had any issues with my roof (must use it again!) but it won't be the mattress, there's no sensor or anything if that's what you're thinking of.

Do you get as far as the beeping when the roof is starting to operate?

What troubleshooting have you done so far?

Advertisement