Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VRT Question

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

https://www.donedeal.ie/campers-for-sale/camper-van/25048839

I know it's a minefield, but a friend is considering this camper. Has anyone any idea of what it may cost him landed here ?

Price plus 13% vrt roughly.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭Flipperdipper

Price plus 13% vrt roughly.

Not true. It will be 13.5% of whatever fictitious value the licenced thieves, (Revenue), in Rosslare tell you it's worth.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Is there vat on top of that ?

Not true. It will be 13.5% of whatever fictitious value the licenced thieves, (Revenue), in Rosslare tell you it's worth.:(

Their valuations are not fictitious, they are reached using research on current open market selling price for similar vehicles.

I said roughly 13%, you claim 13.5%. It's actually 13.3%.

Here's a link to help you educate yourself...

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/calculating-vrt/assessing-the-value.aspx

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Thanks mr/mrs. Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Their valuations are not fictitious, they are reached using research on current open market selling price for similar vehicles.

I said roughly 13%, you claim 13.5%. It's actually 13.3%.

Here's a link to help you educate yourself...

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/calculating-vrt/assessing-the-value.aspx

No true, the valuations are reached using research of the open market ASKING price. We all know that in reality the asking price can be significantly discounted. Revenue don't collect data on actual SELLING prices.

niloc1951 wrote: »
    No true, the valuations are reached using research of the open market ASKING price. We all know that in reality the asking price can be significantly discounted. Revenue don't collect data on actual SELLING prices.

Don't be a silly billy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Don't be a silly billy.

In the case of campers, especially coach built - he’s right.

Cars are more transparent, systematic and logical in terms of VRT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Don't be a silly billy.

OK, not a very informative response. Now explain just what is 'silly' about what I posted and let's hear an actual rebuttal of the point I made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

With most cars the VRT can be immediately assessed by means of the calculator, allowing a prospective purchaser to assess their tax liability before purchase.
    Not so with campervans, the purchaser is at the mercy of Revenue until the valuation is made and even then the VRT has to be paid before the purchaser can appeal.
    This I believe to be contrary to the principle of taxation in Europe where a person should be able to perform a transaction with full knowledge of their tax liabilities.

If you have any doubt about the wishy-washy nature of the process then see the post from Aidan MM when they imported two vans a few months apart, there was completely different prices for both vans!
    Its a vague and opaque process imo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement