Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Help In Paris - Urgently

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

Very scary and worrying night for the OP. It really is desperate to hear a loved one has been taken ill abroad and they are language difficulties in conveying his condition. However, it's a common condition and he is in a French hospital noted for their healthcare system not in some far flung hospital in deepest Africa. Glad to hear all is looking better this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

To be honest it was a relief to hear it was diabetes related. The real worry is that it could have been something else that we had no idea about.

There have been a few comments regarding us looking for the French for diabetes. To clarify this, his girlfriend (who is 18, in Paris in the middle of the night with an unresponsive boyfriend) had tried to tell the paramedics and hospital staff he had diabetes. They appeared not to understand this, maybe they did but in the confusion the message did not appear to be getting through. They were asking her if he had taken heroin as his demeanor would have been similar to that of someone smacked out of their head. They probably get more overdoses in a city Centre hospital than diabetics in keto acidosis.
    I gave her the French translations of this term and the word for keytones as this may have got the message across quicker and get the correct treatment started as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

Great to hear he is on the road of recovery and id imagine it was quite a worrying time for you as a parent and the gf.

I do however find it odd there was no English speaking docs in the hospital from experience there generally is.

Either way it’s a good news story!

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

That's good to hear he is on the mend. Hopefully a tough lesson learned he needs to wear something to identify he is diabetic. Great you spoke with him and he is feeling a lot better. He is in a better place really in hospital in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,838 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

antix80 wrote: »
    Not being funny and I dont speak French but I guessed it was "diabétique"..

I hope he's OK. I also hope his gf is goodlooking because she'll need something going for her to get through life.

For future reference your son should carry a card or wear a chain or bracelet identifying himself as a diabetic. I had a diabetic friend who was stubborn enough to remove his when he was having an episode but for most people they're very useful for medical staff.

Good to hear things are looking better, never easy to deal with an emergency in a strange place.

*Snip*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,901 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

To be honest it was a relief to hear it was diabetes related. The real worry is that it could have been something else that we had no idea about.

There have been a few comments regarding us looking for the French for diabetes. To clarify this, his girlfriend (who is 18, in Paris in the middle of the night with an unresponsive boyfriend) had tried to tell the paramedics and hospital staff he had diabetes. They appeared not to understand this, maybe they did but in the confusion the message did not appear to be getting through. They were asking her if he had taken heroin as his demeanor would have been similar to that of someone smacked out of their head. They probably get more overdoses in a city Centre hospital than diabetics in keto acidosis.
    I gave her the French translations of this term and the word for keytones as this may have got the message across quicker and get the correct treatment started as soon as possible.

The doctors would have been testing for diabetes and all the other standard checks. The reason for the herion questions is because it's a different treatment for an opiate overdose and the quicker it's given the less chance of an OD being fatal, the test for opiate OD is longer than asking the person who is with them.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Mod hat: DON'T FEED THE TROLLS. Yes, the stupid comment was stupid and unhelpful. Report it and move on, please. Responding to it just clutters the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

We eventually got him home yesterday evening despite Storm Brendan threatening flights and my car breaking down at the toll booth on the way home from Dublin airport!!!

He was in a bad way still, he had a terrible headache all day and could barely walk or talk when I met him. He has hardly eaten in 7 days and has lost about a quarter of his already slight body weight.

He is home anyway so that is the main thing, time to start building him up again and get him back to his normal unhelpful, lazy teenage self.

Thanks again to all who provided information or offers of assistance on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

We eventually got him home yesterday evening despite Storm Brendan threatening flights and my car breaking down at the toll booth on the way home from Dublin airport!!!

He was in a bad way still, he had a terrible headache all day and could barely walk or talk when I met him. He has hardly eaten in 7 days and has lost about a quarter of his already slight body weight.

He is home anyway so that is the main thing, time to start building him up again and get him back to his normal unhelpful, lazy teenage self.

Thanks again to all who provided information or offers of assistance on here.

Lots of parents reading this and looking lovingly and appreciatively at their "normal unhelpful, lazy teenagers" !!!!!!

OP nurse him back to full strength quick so you can feckin' kill him :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Lots of parents reading this and looking lovingly and appreciatively at their "normal unhelpful, lazy teenagers" !!!!!!

OP nurse him back to full strength quick so you can feckin' kill him :)

And those teenagers are looking back and saying, "I might be lazy, but I can read a lot faster than you".

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Dante7 wrote: »
    And those teenagers are looking back and saying, "I might be lazy, but I can read a lot faster than you".

:D

Possibly the best zombie thread reanimation response yet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement