Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI Cheque not accepted in Australia

Options
  • 07-07-2020 8:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I received a BOI cheque from Zurich insurance for around 160 euro. It appears Australian banks no longer accept Irish cheques! Can i get the funds transferred by EFT instead? I am resident of Australia and have not lived in Ireland for >20 years. Aye.:cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Ask Zurich.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 andrew63

Yep. Logical. Have never dealt with Zurich and have no policy number or any account number etc with them. Drew blanks when I spoke to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

Overseas cheques are increasingly impossible to process in most countries, including Ireland. Even where they are accepted they can take weeks and be expensive.

I find these companies can be (globally) very lazy and stuck in a “press print” mode.

Contact them and just tell them the cheque is completely useless and to arrange payment by EFT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

andrew63 wrote: »
    Yep. Logical. Have never dealt with Zurich and have no policy number or any account number etc with them. Drew blanks when I spoke to them.

So how did you get a cheque from them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

surely you should be contacting Zurich??????

The letter accompanying the check would have some sort of details.

Send it back to zurich with your bank details - but expect long delays to post going out of australia.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

Yeah it’s not an appropriate instrument to use to pay someone overseas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Jennifer

I received a BOI cheque from Zurich insurance for around 160 euro. It appears Australian banks no longer accept Irish cheques! Can i get the funds transferred by EFT instead? I am resident of Australia and have not lived in Ireland for >20 years. Aye.:cool:
    Hi Andrew, 

Thanks for getting in touch with us here today. In this instance we would recommend that you contact Zurich Insurance directly as it would be necessary for an alternative method of payment to be arranged with them. 

We hope this helps.

Thanks Jen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

So how did you get a cheque from them?
    most likely it's a refund of an error that they found on their system. But my guess is its from a mis-selling of Personal Protection Insurance by a company and Zurich were the insurer.  - These went back years

Advertisement