Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

redundancy and new job offer

Options
  • 29-06-2020 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

hi everyone,
    i have been workkng inaviation for over 20 years and am currently layed off due to covid. my employer is making redundancies which i hope i will be apart of only rhey are draggkng their heels on it due to not paying anyone at the moment and the state subsidising every employee.
    i think personally they want to drag it out so peoplewill leave rather than wait. this is not an option forme as its quite a lot of money even though itwill only be statutory as the company is in examinership.
    i have been offered a new position in a multinational company and will take it . i was wondering what you boardsies would do the new company are ushing for a start date and i told them 6 weeks but the redundancy is really dragging out now and scared if i tell my present company they will just tell me to leave.
    any thoughts?
    should i tell new job i can start in 6 weeks and hope its sorted?
    start new job in a few weeks and not tell present employer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

The rules have changed during covid so your employer is probably adopting a wait-and-see attitude.

I doubt there's much you can do as long as they're still paying you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Agree with Antix.

I was in a similar position about 10 years ago - huge UK company making redundancies. Unless they got the slightest sniff that you were going to jump anyway. We were in the process of selling the house (just after the crash) and moving back here.

There were a lot of balls in the air. In the end I walked without it. No regrets. It would have been long spent by now in any case.

All the very best.

Advertisement