Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

16 hour contract. No work

Options
  • 30-06-2020 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭

Hi.

Looking for some advise on what I might be entitled to. I’m a student and had a part time job in retail. The contract stated I’m guaranteed 16 hours every two two week up to a maximum of 48 hours. Haven’t had any work since the day before New Year’s Eve and turns out new staff on what they call 0 hour contracts have been hired into my job.

What should I do? I’m very inexperienced and don’t know what steps I should take?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

Have you asked your manager why you haven’t gotten any shifts in six months? Or was there an explanation given when you stopped getting shifts (eg you were only seasonal staff and not kept on)?

They could have forgotten about you and taken you off the system as it’s been so long,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Should this not have been brought up a lot sooner, even before the covid lockdown?

Has your employer completely forgotten about you?

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

Have you asked your manager why you haven’t gotten any shifts in six months? Or was there an explanation given when you stopped getting shifts (eg you were only seasonal staff and not kept on)?

They could have forgotten about you and taken you off the system as it’s been so long,

It’s a small team so couldn’t have just forgotten. Rang in January and said it was quiet so nothing for the next few weeks. Then covid kicked in. There’s new people started and not a word from them. If you’re in a 16 hour contract surely they have to give you hours and not just hire others. Can you be redundant in such a contract? I always assumed redundancy would be for full time workers but is it possible on such a contract? Very disappointed in them hiring other staff. Have had no issues in the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,073 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

How long have you been there?

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

Dav010 wrote: »
    How long have you been there?

Started Nov 2018. Sat, Sunday work. A few days during the week on holidays etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

To Alcohol wrote: »
    Can you be redundant in such a contract? I always assumed redundancy would be for full time workers but is it possible on such a contract? Very disappointed in them hiring other staff. Have had no issues in the job.

As far as I know, redundancy rights only kick in after two years. So you wouldn’t be entitled to a package.

Have you spoken to the manager at all about this or kept in touch since Covid started? They might think you’ve moved on. Check your MyRevenue account to see if it says you work there or if it states a date for ceasing employment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Are you still getting paid for the 16 hours every 2 weeks?

Advertisement