Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gift for Dad

Options
  • 05-12-2019 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Lads I need help.
    I always struggle finding an xmas present for my dad.
    Hes retired, loves DIY, gardening etc.
    Tools are out as I think he could start selling them at this stage.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Paddy Power Vouchers if he likes a bet?

Slippers and socks can't go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

How about an ancestry DNA kit?
    My dad never had any interest in geneology or the family tree, but I got him a kit on a whim and he was delighted with it. You send off a little saliva sample and it sends you back your genetic make up, giving you percentages of your heritage and what countries your DNA is from.
    There's an option to connect with other people who share your DNA around the world, if you so wish. He found it really interesting and says its one of the best gifts he's ever gotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

How about taking a day out with him? You could wander the garden centres with him and pick something new for his garden together, go for lunch/few pints? Time might be better than something you wrap up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

book of handmade, son-father vouchers

1. for a lunch
    1. for a pint in the local
    1. for watching a match
    1. for you to do an afternoon of some task for him :)

ok i know you probably do these things already, but think it might be fun

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

JustMe,K wrote: »
    How about taking a day out with him? You could wander the garden centres with him and pick something new for his garden together, go for lunch/few pints? Time might be better than something you wrap up.

This is exactly what I'm getting my mother for Christmas, voucher for a day trip. It's up to her to decide what to do, but have a few backup plans including visiting some friends of hers elsewhere in the country. Have the most of a week booked off for Easter, so will manage to organise something to do

Parents getting older now, they appreciated time spent with them more than a new thing, especially when you live a 4+hour drive away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Lu Tze wrote: »
    This is exactly what I'm getting my mother for Christmas, voucher for a day trip. It's up to her to decide what to do, but have a few backup plans including visiting some friends of hers elsewhere in the country. Have the most of a week booked off for Easter, so will manage to organise something to do

Parents getting older now, they appreciated time spent with them more than a new thing, especially when you live a 4+hour drive away.

We are lucky to still have them around, and relatively active.

My kids got my husband a cheese board. They put it together themselves. It contained 5 cheeses, a board, cheese knife, crackers, chutney, a bottle each red and white wine and grapes. He loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Markey1

I'm in the same boat, and I think a good one is to book a day out for something like the Jameson distillery or Guinness storehouse. There are plenty of others around to suit your location, Smithicks in Kilkenny, Slane castle do a good one too of their new whiskey.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 pickle pants

Thanks everyone, they are all really good ideas. Happy Xmas !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

A mate brought their parents for afternoon tea in the Gresham or Shelbourne.

Or maybe something different like clay pigeon shooting or a helicopter flight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,155 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

If he doesn't have one already, a leather carpenters toolbelt/apron was one of the most useful DIY presents I've received to date. This was the one I got:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0024LQRTQ/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_z5r8DbFAMTH8G

Advertisement