Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Truck Turning Circle

Options
  • 15-02-2020 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Just planning out a parlour here and space is tight.
    Just wondering what diameter circle I would need to let for
    the milk truck to turn around comfortably in the yard?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

Hi Folks,

Thanks.
    not sure of the diameter but the truck will change a bit too , a tag axel will turn better than a mid lift etc so best allow for the biggest .

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭raypallas

Hi Folks,

Thanks.

Also depends on truck, is it a two axle truck/tank or 3/3 even a steering axle tanker is a huge help. I've seen a lot of yards where milk truck drives in and swings around, if its gravel underneath you'll find that the front axle will dig a big hole in the yard that you'll never be able to keep filled. (Very hard on axles as well too).

Would be possible for it to drive into a wider part of the yard and reverse around to the door of the parlour? (provided there's enough room)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

A complaint I've heard levelled against the Roads Authority is that they plan for today's problems and even by the time plan comes to fruition the solution is inadequate. Milk trucks have got bigger and their size may be limited by the country roads, but I'd bear that in mind.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

greysides wrote: »
    A complaint I've heard levelled against the Roads Authority is that they plan for today's problems and even by the time plan comes to fruition the solution is inadequate. Milk trucks have got bigger and their size may be limited by the country roads, but I'd bear that in mind.

I've land on a road leading to a bog, an artic is travelling it twice a day now and it's suffering badly.
    A new dairy farm now at the end of the road this year will test it further, there was never foundation at the road edges to accommodate those single wheels on lorries

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Minimum 9m if I recall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mycro2013

Minimum 9m if I recall

Contact the transport manager of the co-op they have drawings and specs on file

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Just measured ours 48ft wa t every bit of it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭stanflt

The brother in New Zealand has to have a yard where the milk train doesn’t stop- comes in in a circle and has to be able to fill tank 1-2 or 3 - no reversing allowed- we have it handy here

• Registered Users Posts: 21,117 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The milk trucks in NZ are lorry/tank + trailed trailer. Very different manouvre to back those.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Don't the coops pay for/ own the bulk tanks on farms over there? You'd make space for the lorry for a lot less than the price of a tank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Tyson Lannister

So I got some figures, apparently an arctic truck has to be able to turn within a 41 foot radius circle, I can just about fit this in so I should be okay. Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,117 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The standard twin axle artic TMK is 40ft. You can turn an artic in its own trailer length plus a bit. Not sure of the length of milk triaxle but flatbeds could be 50ft or longer. Be sure to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Mach Two

When I was planning my parlour I got the driver to look at it. He didn't turn in the yard as such. He drove up to the dairy turned left so as to straighten the lorry. He was then ready to reverse back to the dairy door. By having to reverse back to the dairy door the lorry was straightened again and ready to leave. I could accomadate any size of a lorry then. By having a lorry to turn a full circle in your yard will destroy your yard and you will never be able to keep it repaired.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭cjpm

He’s dead right, will wreck the yard and haulier won’t thank you as his tyres will get some wearing. You are also relying on a good driver.

Known as a hammerhead, a way better job. Truck is filled and ready to pull away could have 10T more of a load on it heading away.

Advertisement