Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An post-you must be there to receive calf tags

• 14-02-2020 3:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭

This is new
    If you order new tags and are not there to receive the boxes,they are being returned to sender,in my case mullinahone Coop

New direction as so many go missing
    Post man has also been instructed to drive by if gate is closed for any post
    I get on well with my postman,its not a row

How long do you think they will get away with this carry on ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I dont know what our post man will do, as he leave all the post for me and my brother and sister in my parents house, registered letters or tags there is never any issue with any of them, he walks in an leave all on the kitchen table once the door is open. He does the same for the wife, her post is always deliver to the mother in laws and any post of our kids could be in either of the houses.. The only time we get post to the house is when he is on holidays..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Mortelaro wrote: »
    This is new
    If you order new tags and are not there to receive the boxes,they are being returned to sender,in my case mullinahone Coop

Put up a delivery box at your gate, tags will fit in them.

https://www.anpost.com/Post-Parcels/Receiving/Home-Delivery-Box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Why should I give money to an post for one of those yokes?
    That's what they want
    First thing I'm going to do and should have done earlier is put a 'no junk mail' notice at the door
    If they're doing this,I'm denying them the few Bob for the junk mail
    To add insult to injury ,they wouldn't give me the tags because I had no ID
    I had to drive back home to get that and go back in :mad:

No wonder they lose so much money

That's what they want
    First thing I'm going to do and should have done earlier is put a 'no junk mail' notice at the door

Box is for your convenience, not theirs, won't make any difference to them if you never get the tags,

wrangler wrote: »
    Box is for your convenience, not theirs, won't make any difference to them if you never get the tags,

I disagree because refusing to open an unlocked gate in rural Ireland is complaint worthy
    And Complain I will

• Advertisement

I disagree because refusing to open an unlocked gate in rural Ireland is complaint worthy
    And Complain I will

Box can be at the house too, for some reason it doesn't have to be signed for if it goes in the box.
    Works well here and €70 didn't break the bank

It's the principle
    The whole idea is to stop post Van's driving up lanes meeting people and wasting time talking to people and saving time and diesel

I note that this isn't happening everywhere (yet)
    The stamp either pays for a service or it doesnt
    If An Post were a private company, they'd be gone long ago with this sort of carry on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Instead of making things more difficult for yourself when don't you talk to your postman and organise something.

It's the principle
    The whole idea is to stop post Van's driving up lanes meeting people and wasting time talking to people and saving time and diesel

If An Post were a private company, they'd be gone long ago with this sort of carry on

We get the post at 7am, plenty of mornings he'd be waking us to sign if we didn't have the box

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,259 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

It's the principle

Have a post box with years.originally put in when the children were young to take a risk out of it.i suppose we also have to realise the daily post could come under pressure soon and anything we can do to streamline it can only help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

This is new

We have 2 different postmen, both told to leave any boxes that can't fit through the letterbox in my car or the shed. Sign away if one's needed. No issue with either one.

One did get in trouble a while back after leaving a box near his neighbours back door like he was asked. She complained and said she didn't get the box. He called up and told her she did get it and he was doing like she asked. She said she would look again and he heard no more about it. Any box she gets now has to be collected, he knocks on the door, puts in the letters and leaves.

Tbh, I don't blame the postman, there's some right chancers out there. Maybe have a word with him and agree a place to leave the boxes?

We have 2 different postmen, both told to leave any boxes that can't fit through the letterbox in my car or the shed. Sign away if one's needed. No issue with either one.

One did get in trouble a while back after leaving a box near his neighbours back door like he was asked. She complained and said she didn't get the box. He called up and told her she did get it and he was doing like she asked. She said she would look again and he heard no more about it. Any box she gets now has to be collected, he knocks on the door, puts in the letters and leaves.

Tbh, I don't blame the postman, there's some right chancers out there. Maybe have a word with him and agree a place to leave the boxes?

Some people will f..k you over for doing them a favour, makes ya very cynical.
    That postman learnt the hard way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

It's the principle

Reminds of the farmer who lived a long way in off the road, the new postman told him he would have to either put up a post box at the front gate or collect his his post in the Post Office. There was a stand off between the two of them. He complained, found out he was entitled to have his post delivered to his home. He then signed up for a postal newspaper subscription, ensuring the postman had to go up the lane every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭alps

2 things I cant understand...

1...why we get post every day? If we got it every second day, it would halve the delivery mileage, and would it really make that much of a difference to your life?

2...why delivery Van's aren't left hand drive and cut a heap of walking...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Only got tags this morning, found them in the car when I was off to town.

OP, am I right in saying that the postman has to get out of the van 3 times to deliver your post? As in, open gate, drive in to house, deliver post, drive out, close gate. Or is this unlocked gate you're talking about within walking distance to your front door? Bit much if it's the former tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Iodine1

OP blaming the postman in the wrong completely. An post don't look for signatures, the customer who pays for delivery is who specifies it. It's the proof of delivery and they want it so postman has to comply. And he is directed to take it to the post office and return to sender if not signed for by the recipient. Any "arrangements " are entirely voluntary and are not obligated. Courier companies all work in the same way as far as proof of delivery is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭einn32

It makes sense. I mean Mullinahone have to ensure you get the delivery. Times change not much you can do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Why can't he leave note that it can be collected at local PO. That's what he does here on odd occasions that I'm not around. Surely they're not going to send it back to Mullinahone straight away.

OP, am I right in saying that the postman has to get out of the van 3 times to deliver your post? As in, open gate, drive in to house, deliver post, drive out, close gate. Or is this unlocked gate you're talking about within walking distance to your front door? Bit much if it's the former tbh.

The first reason i got the box was the letterbox was low on the halldoor and too lazy to change it when i noticed postie failing a bit........have to have a small bit consideration

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭cjpm

You’d want your head examined to still be buying Mullinshone Tags. They are rubbish compared to the competitors

• Advertisement

blade1 wrote: »
    Instead of making things more difficult for yourself when don't you talk to your postman and organise something.
    I know the postman well
    He says the recording yoke that you put your digital signature on now takes a photograph and it either has to show a person receiving the goods or a door into which the collect at form is pushed

Its a gate at the head of a long lane, rarely closed but was on this occasion

I've no problem with the postman, he's actually a friend of ours
    Its the postmaster that's enforcing this
    The paper sub mentioned a few pages up sounds good but the postman himself is not the issue, it's a rule imposed by his boss
    That's who I will be complaining about
    It can't be the case that the same service is deliberately provided in an inferior way in one district because of an awkward postmaster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,825 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

cjpm wrote: »
    You’d want your head examined to still be buying Mullinshone Tags. They are rubbish compared to the competitors

They have improved alot and are cheaper than cormac. Very few losses this last couple of years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,617 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

That's what they want

So they are paid for the leaflets even if they don’t go through your door.

I presume the tags needed signing for, that’s the only time the postman doesn’t leave stuff here, he either drops them with sister or drops a note in the door to get them in the post office, hardly an inconvenience.

I think relax a bit.

whelan2 wrote: »
    They have improved alot and are cheaper than cormac. Very few losses this last couple of years

Ditto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

whelan2 wrote: »

Good for Mullinahone, I didn't get much satisfaction from them when two thirds of a bunch of heifers lost tags, plus their service for calf tags was shocking, and there wasn't any mitigating factors.
    The amount of replacrments required with them was always high. They had a monopoly and they abused it so its a bit late for improvements, they can get stuffed as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Good for Mullinahone, I didn't get much satisfaction from them when two thirds of a bunch of heifers lost tags, plus their service for calf tags was shocking, and there wasn't any mitigating factors.
    The amount of replacrments required with them was always high. They had a monopoly and they abused it so its a bit late for improvements, they can get stuffed as far as I'm concerned.

There was a batch of nearly 300k that was substandard a couple of years ago where the white BVD tag fell apart and the cattle lost them, they are made in France I think.

Advertisement