Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone use these rat traps?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭SixtaWalthers

Needlessly cruel. Just kill it and get it over with plus they are indiscriminate, catching things that aren't rats.

Thanks. I didn't think about this aspect of glue traps.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

49801 wrote: »
    The sonic plugs are quite effective deterants in a house or in yards. One per room. Can be got in the coop... like below
    https://www.coopsuperstores.ie/Farming/Farm-Hygiene/Pest-Control/Sonic-Mouse--Rat-Repeller-Small-0512969

That is not my experience.
    I have one for a number of years, that appears to be a different make but with the same system, and it does not stop rats and mice from coming into a shed.
    I have tried the different settings but it dosn't stop the rodents.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,169 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I think the electromagnetic (??) ones are better. From what I understand, they send a series of pulses through the electric wires in your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

I've found them good in an older house where challenges to eliminate entry points. They are not a guarantee by any means... but a great help IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Jonny303

Kind of off topic but what's people's experience with encouraging wild life predators (owls etc) while also heavily set with poison?

I'd love the idea of putting a few boxes up and possibly getting a few owls around but I couldn't bring myself to stop the poison but wouldn't like to end up poisoning owls from them eating poisoned pests.

• Advertisement

Jonny303 wrote: »
    Kind of off topic but what's people's experience with encouraging wild life predators (owls etc) while also heavily set with poison?

I'd love the idea of putting a few boxes up and possibly getting a few owls around but I couldn't bring myself to stop the poison but wouldn't like to end up poisoning owls from them eating poisoned pests.
    If you use poison you are going to kill anything that predates on that animal. One of the main reasons given for the reduction in the numbers of barn owls is the use of poison especially around farm yards. Owl eats poisoned mouse - owl dies, owl feeds poisoned mouse to it's chicks - they die.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭godfather2

Came here looking for solace, we have at least once mouse and a few on the patio actively trying to get in the house. Can be both seen and heard trying to get in. Absolutely freaked. Fully brazen and not one bit afraid of us. All traps set, current count 16 down since yesterday and no catches. Feels like I'm going to war.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Apt username.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Find their current food sources outside and exclude them.

Cats work well outside.

Try different baits even some on a covered menu board to see which ones the mice select.

godfather2 wrote: »
    Came here looking for solace, we have at least once mouse and a few on the patio actively trying to get in the house. Can be both seen and heard trying to get in. Absolutely freaked. Fully brazen and not one bit afraid of us. All traps set, current count 16 down since yesterday and no catches. Feels like I'm going to war.
    I presume that your using the wooden spring type traps. When your setting the trap, tap the bait block so it's at the end of the wire, iykwim. Try using a smear of peanut butter or Nutella on the bait block.

• Advertisement

Wooden traps, can't reset the traps quick enough atm.

Current count in less than two hours is 8. They seem to like jelly babies. Only issue is they are not dying quick enough. Had to finish last three off as a mercy job.
    Not tackled outside yet. Really don't want to use poison in case of secondary victims. Anyone ever had success with bait floated in a bucket of water or similar methods?

Current food source as best can make out is next door, not something I can tackle. Bit freaked at the effort they were putting in to try and gain access. Never seen that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,841 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

godfather2 wrote: »
    Current count in less than two hours is 8. They seem to like jelly babies. Only issue is they are not dying quick enough. Had to finish last three off as a mercy job.
    Not tackled outside yet. Really don't want to use poison in case of secondary victims. Anyone ever had success with bait floated in a bucket of water or similar methods?

Saw a YouTube of an Asian lad catching heaps of them using the "fall off the log" (pinioned coke can over bucket) method, although the were brazed bastards, nearly walk up to you to say hello.

Outside is a big concern. Haven't opened door or window at back of house since they appeared which is not sustainable. No idea how to tackle outside without poison. Thinking of running a crushed glass edging outside, like a moat I guess. Worked previously with rats under decking.

Advertisement