Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calf price chitchat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Jjameson wrote: »
    The figures were very realistic. Optimistic even.

really?..a march born holstein friesian bull calf at 2 weeks old minimum price of purchase €100??..more like under €50

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

really?..a march born holstein friesian bull calf at 2 weeks old minimum price of purchase €100??..more like under €50

Sold 40 bull calves out of yard on Thursday €40 each, lotto money in my view and they’re all off heifers. 15-17 days old

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Sold 40 bull calves out of yard on Thursday €40 each, lotto money in my view and they’re all off heifers. 15-17 days old

What would their breeding be? FR x Hol?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

What would their breeding be? FR x Hol?

NR x Fr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

NR x Fr

You milking nr yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

I've been off boards the last few weeks. But there doesn't seem to be any hassle getting calves sold in my part of cork. There were prophets of doom locally claiming there was going to be "calfmageddon" this spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,172 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I've been off boards the last few weeks. But there doesn't seem to be any hassle getting calves sold in my part of cork. There were prophets of doom locally claiming there was going to be "calfmageddon" this spring.

No boat yesterday or the week before....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Sold 3 heifer calves. 2 were Chx and 1 Lmx.
    They were 26 days old and weighed 77kgs average. Average €110/head.

Puts Jex into perspective...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

whelan2 wrote: »
    No boat yesterday or the week before....

Ya every farmer that ever bought a calf in cork arrived into macroom Saturday rubbing their hands at the thought of a calf bonanza... It was a hoult anything that made €5/€10 in skibbereen was making €40 /€50. Farmers are the best customers as ever.

Dont expect any deals in bandon tomorrow either, the main shipper has only a few calves on hand, he is expecting to sail Tuesday so he'll haveto fill it.

anyone know what continental x calves are making at the minute?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Ya every farmer that ever bought a calf in cork arrived into macroom Saturday rubbing their hands at the thought of a calf bonanza... It was a hoult anything that made €5/€10 in skibbereen was making €40 /€50. Farmers are the best customers as ever.

Dont expect any deals in bandon tomorrow either, the main shipper has only a few calves on hand, he is expecting to sail Tuesday so he'll haveto fill it.

Massive difference to last year in Bandon so when FR bull calves where left unsold and not collected nor fed by farmers until 2am in the morning.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Massive difference to last year in Bandon so when FR bull calves where left unsold and not collected nor fed by farmers until 2am in the morning.

All that was wrong that day was it was very young calves turned up. 100 went unsold that day.

On another note the dept were in macroom checking calves. One calf which was definitely underage as his navel wasn't dried was isolated and was been photographed by the dept.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Numbers will start to rise from now on. 300k births so far. They're on the way.
    We've 30 to move out here. Would be similar on lots of farms

• Registered Users Posts: 11,169 ✭✭✭✭Base price

JeffKenna wrote: »
    That incident occurred later in the calving season (middle of March) when there was nearly 2000 calves in the mart that day. The word came through that the livestock lorries wouldn't be able to sail that week due to the arrival of a storm. It affected calf prices throughout the country and most farmers had to hold onto their calves for an additional week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,891 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Lad from the north rang me about buying calves for shipping, if deal hel pay tomorrow and collect Wednesday. Would u be trusting

• Registered Users Posts: 18,214 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Numbers will start to rise from now on. 300k births so far. They're on the way.
    We've 30 to move out here. Would be similar on lots of farms

There is just about another 1.2 million to go nothing to worry about.They will all sail away happy

Slava Ukrainii

Any word is there a boat going tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭alps

Absolutely no chance if it was horses. Bovine dont get motion sick however, but this looks real rough..Wave height in meters..

Ya but only one lorry per shipper.

3 week old fr bulls well done making €180 in bandon today. Farmers blowing the shippers out!! :)

Ya but only one lorry per shipper.

3 week old fr bulls well done making €180 in bandon today. Farmers blowing the shippers out!! :)

I will be buying them in May/June 2021 for 500 euro

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

I will be buying them in May/June 2021 for 500 euro

It seems to me that you are willing there to be a calf crisis.

Panch18 wrote: »
    It seems to me that you are willing there to be a calf crisis.

No I am not but I am pointing out the simple economic fact if finished prices remain as is I expect I will it such yearling mid summer next year for 1.2 1.4/kg.we are after two autumn's where they have even been lower than that

Slava Ukrainii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

No I am not but I am pointing out the simple economic fact if finished prices remain as is I expect I will it such yearling mid summer next year for 1.2 1.4/kg.we are after two autumn's where they have even been lower than that

Fellas are paying decent (relatively speaking obviously) money for calves now because they are getting super prices for weanlings and yearlings in the marts at the moment. This bracket of animal is anything from 100-200 above where they should really be.

The profit on an animal is not the difference between what that particular animals is bought and sold for - its the difference between his sales price and his replacement price

any half decent angus or Hereford yearlings are trading at around €2/kg at the moment..these could be bought as calves for €120-€150 depending on age last spring..often wonder how some lads make up there margins on finishing stock..the best of those cattle could kill into 1250 in 12 months time if the current beef price continues

• Registered Users Posts: 6,891 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

What are hereford/fr cross calves making?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Toetohand

All that was wrong that day was it was very young calves turned up. 100 went unsold that day.

On another note the dept were in macroom checking calves. One calf which was definitely underage as his navel wasn't dried was isolated and was been photographed by the dept.

Proper order too. I was there every second Saturday last year from about March to May and a small percentage each Saturday obviously very young. It wouldn’t kill lads to feed them for a fortnight like.

Fellas are paying decent (relatively speaking obviously) money for calves now because they are getting super prices for weanlings and yearlings in the marts at the moment. This bracket of animal is anything from 100-200 above where they should really be.

The profit on an animal is not the difference between what that particular animals is bought and sold for - its the difference between his sales price and his replacement price

In theory you are correct but calves are coming into the mart faster than weanlings/yearlings and especially dairy cross ones. When numbers start to increase it hard to see prices remain as strong as present. I just cannot understand the mentality of paying such a price for a 3week old calf when in all probability you will get the same calf in 2-3 weeks for sub 100. Not every lad selling buying calves is selling weanlings at the same time.

I went to the mart 6-7 times last year I only bought two day one day six and the second day 22. I see no point in buying to a projected losd

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭alps

Imteresting pitch

17 calves sent home from bandon yesterday. Starvation. Same lad milks about 120 cows.)

• Advertisement

17 calves sent home from bandon yesterday. Starvation. Same lad milks about 120 cows.)

What were the prices like

Advertisement