Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Quitting vaping compared to quitting ciggies

Options
  • 21-11-2019 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

Long time no see/write/post :-)
    Hope you are all well and keeping it to vaping only.
    I decided on Tuesday evening that I was going to try and take a break from vaping or maybe even quit it altogether, I was only vaping 3-4 mg liquid, probably going through 15-20 ml per day. (30W Vaper)
    So since Tuesday Night/ Wednesday morning, I haven't vaped.
    Well the whole point of this post is to say how surprised I am that I'm actually experiencing cravings a little bit, more than expected anyway...
    Nothing like back in the old ciggie cold turkey attempts days thank god, but just a tiny little devil on the shoulder every now and again and feeling restless a lot as well.
    I've often enough forgotten my vape gear at home and it never bothered me much all day.
    Anyone else tried going cold turkey on your vaping?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

Never tried to give up but good on yer if you can,I think it's down to the actions of vaping & seeing the vapour.
    My Brother has been vaping about 4 months,he still loves a fag after dinner,I paid him a visit last week to see how he was getting on with vaping.
    He is unable to use his hands to change a coil or fill up.I got him a mod with prefilled pods from JacVapour,he said he was getting great satisfaction with vaping,I sat there watching him vape but there were no vapour but I could see that he was enjoying it,I thought,is this a mind thing that's going on:D:D

Anyway,I hated to tell him that his battery has been flat for days,he was wondering how good these pods were,never had to change them:D:D
    I put it down to the actions you do with the mod,it keeps your hands busy...

20ml of 3mg/ml juice is a huge amount of nicotine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭JH_raheny

20ml of 3mg/ml juice is a huge amount of nicotine.

Well my average would probably be more like 15 ml as I use/used 7ml tanks but obviously never ran them dry, but a 50ml bottle would get me through 3-4 days.
    Considering that I smoked 30-40 a day and sometimes more if out drinking, I don't think it's a huge amount in comparison, plus nicotine is only one substance and probably one of the least harmful part of ciggies.
    Anyways, it's day 5 and I haven't vaped once yet so it's going ok :-)

JH_raheny wrote: »
    Well my average would probably be more like 15 ml as I use/used 7ml tanks but obviously never ran them dry, but a 50ml bottle would get me through 3-4 days.
    Considering that I smoked 30-40 a day and sometimes more if out drinking, I don't think it's a huge amount in comparison, plus nicotine is only one substance and probably one of the least harmful part of ciggies.
    Anyways, it's day 5 and I haven't vaped once yet so it's going ok :-)

Not in terms of harm, but each fag is 1mg I think? So it's similar nicotine levels to when you were smoking.
    Best of luck, hope you can stick to it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Not in terms of harm, but each fag is 1mg I think? So it's similar nicotine levels to when you were smoking.
    Best of luck, hope you can stick to it. :)

Vaping is about 1/3 as effective at delivering nicotine vs cigarettes according to measures of cotinine levels, so they'd be taking in 20mg of nic.

The more worrying part would be having that amount of flavourings. Much higher nic in much lower volumes would be safer than heating large volumes of compounds we know little to nothing about when it comes to inhalation.

• Advertisement

Still no vaping and it's going fine, get the odd cravings but nothing compared to the ciggies.
    As for flavourings, I used to mix 5-7% and only ever bought from reputable places.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Claire Underwood

grindle wrote: »
    Vaping is about 1/3 as effective at delivering nicotine vs cigarettes according to measures of cotinine levels, so they'd be taking in 20mg of nic.

The more worrying part would be having that amount of flavourings. Much higher nic in much lower volumes would be safer than heating large volumes of compounds we know little to nothing about when it comes to inhalation.

I use about 15ml a day with a strenght of 1.5mg/ml. I started at 12mg/ml and that was a nic rush....lol

Having stopped vaping about 6 months ago, 'cos it was too easy to do all the time, vaping is definitely less addictive than cigarettes imo and way easier to stop than cigarettes and it's not just my opinion.....

one reason that your cravings are much less intense is that vape vapour does not have monoamine oxidase enzyme inhibitors present but cigarette smoke does (MAO inhibitors ), which reinforce addiction and make cravings more intense

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16177026
    It is known that levels of the enzymes monoamine oxidase A (MAO-A) and MAO-B are reduced in the platelets and brains of smokers and that substances, other than nicotine, present in tobacco smoke have MAO-inhibitory activities. Here, we report that inhibition of MAO dramatically and specifically increases the motivation to self-administer nicotine in rats. These effects were more prominent in rats selected for high responsiveness to novelty than in rats with low responsiveness to novelty. The results suggest that the inhibition of MAO activity by compounds present in tobacco smoke may combine with nicotine to produce the intense reinforcing properties of cigarette smoking that lead to addiction.

Also there are additives like ammonia in cigarette tobacco specifically for the reason of getting nicotine to the brain quicker and in higher concentrations. a nice addition from the cigarette companies.

https://www.verywellmind.com/boosting-the-impact-of-nicotine-with-ammonia-2824731
    Tobacco manufacturers discovered that adding ammonia to the cigarette manufacturing process helped convert bound nicotine molecules in tobacco smoke into free nicotine molecules by raising their pH. This process is known as "freebasing." Similar to the chemical process of freebasing cocaine, the end result is an enhanced effect of the drug on the user.

you've also got 1000's of other chemicals in cigarette smoke...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

I use about 15ml a day with a strenght of 1.5mg/ml. I started at 12mg/ml and that was a nic rush....lol

You wouldn't appreciate my style of vaping at all! 15-20mg at 30-40w. Vape about 1-1.5ml a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

I vape about 4ml or 12mg juice per day.

In the past I worked my way down to zero and each step of the way was easy. I happily vaped zero nic juice for 2 months till I ran out. Nicotine well and truly out of my system. Decided now that I had dealt with the nicotine addiction it was time to put the vape away for good.

I was crawling the walls within the hour as soon as I sat down at the PC which is where I chain vape.

IMHO, The REAL addiction is not the Nicotine, its the Psychological addiction to the Hand/Mouth act of vaping/smoking and inhalation and something that has neural programmed your brain because you've done it a hundred times a day for decades for many of us.

That was years ago. I haven't tried to give up vaping since and am back vaping 12mg because.....because why not!!

I will be giving it a serious try early next year though. I'll have lost 45LB in 3 months with OMAD (One Meal a Day) 3 days a week and Fasting the other 4. If I can deal with the odd craving for food when not eating 4 days a week and 2 of those days being consecutive days. Well, I can sure as hell say NO to my Vape/Smoking Devil on my shoulder whispering in my ear.

• Advertisement

Calibos wrote: »

IMHO, The REAL addiction is not the Nicotine, its the Psychological addiction to the Hand/Mouth act of vaping/smoking and inhalation and something that has neural programmed your brain because you've done it a hundred times a day for decades for many of us.

It'a combination of both nicotine and learned actions that makes it a difficult habit to break and people are different so one factor may weigh more in the case of one person over the other.

but it's nicotine withdrawal that produces cravings - that's fact.

I would certainly believe that the cravings intensity is far lower in the case of vaping compared to analogues - unlike a screaming throbbing voice of need telling you that you need nicotine now it's of a way lower amplitude.

Well... Still not vaping but do miss it every now and again, like just before bed time etc. but really isn't bad at all.
    I did pack everything vaping related away in a box though, just so temptation wouldn't be to easy but take those few minutes effort where the cravings would disappear again

Hi guys, just a quick check in from me.
    It is over two months and the vaping cravings are totally gone now, don't even miss it after food or before beed and getting up in the morning...
    Happy vaping to everyone

I found quitting the vape harder than giving up cigarettes..

I found quitting the vape harder than giving up cigarettes..

I found that cold turkey from vaping wasn't anything near attempting it from ciggies, however when I quit ciggies I started vaping instead and that made it really easy (relatively speaking)

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭comerla

I'm coming up on three weeks off vaping. I quit it for a year previously and ended up going back on it after a few nights out/ having the odd cigarette and got it back in my system so back on it for a year!

I found it hard quitting Vaping this time; couldnt remember things and just felt generally miserable at times - especially from days 3-10. Started on on 0 ml juice and packed that in after a day or two as it starts to seem pointless!

Still nothing on quitting cigarettes though - you dont get that really acute craving.

Advertisement