Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bossdrum

https://twitter.com/deeforbes_dee/status/1271155376109637634

Dee has got her groceries delivered from the depths of West Cork in a large polystyrene box whilst just a few months ago was lecturing us on climate change.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019/1024/1085433-rte-climate-change/

Dee Forbes "Ultimately, our own individual actions will define how we as a community respond on this issue. RTÉ On Climate is our contribution to framing, explaining and, ultimately, moving us all one step closer to solving the problem."

Why would someone think that it was a good idea to show this on twitter? No wonder RTE are in the mess they are in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Because you can take the man out of Ballyfermot but you can't take Ballyfermot out of the man, and despite his significant salary he has really appalling diction and pronunciation.

They've started accepting these emails and letters, in this caller driven show and so perhaps it was thought for complex issues to bring in a voice actor. Id fully expect Joe to pronounce that popular messenger app as Snapcat. Now, whoy they need a small army of them is beyond me.

Does nobody want to talk to Joooooo anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Does nobody want to talk to Joooooo anymore?

Don't worry he has plenty of buddies who want to promote something.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

speaking of promotion,

There was a girl on the SixOne news yesterday in one of her 3 salons, interviewed by Perry.

Talking about how they'll re-open after Covid-19 etc...

It seemed the interview went almost too well for her, in that Perry was prompting her to answer the questions in a way that would make the girl and her salon's come out looking very well.

Almost felt like I was watching an extended ad for these particular salons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

bossdrum wrote: »

Dee has got her groceries delivered from the depths of West Cork in a large polystyrene box whilst just a few months ago was lecturing us on climate change.

Dee Forbes "Ultimately, our own individual actions will define how we as a community respond on this issue. RTÉ On Climate is our contribution to framing, explaining and, ultimately, moving us all one step closer to solving the problem."

Why would someone think that it was a good idea to show this on twitter? No wonder RTE are in the mess they are in.

Money no object there, shur someone else will pay for it either directly or indirectly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

You're seriously underestimating salaries in RTE if that's what you think they're on.

Yeah Damien the SE correspondent was on 90,000 he said he took a massive cut to go on to WLRFM, he's now on 50,000. AFAIK. These are all professionals, weather you like that or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

bossdrum wrote: »

It’s called advertising, it’s the same on all the other twitter account

My wife is on them all, they can do a poo without telling us about how great a certain brand of bog roll is. All been paid for of course.....

The one, ex the Apprentice dope, my wife has her, she spends all day putting up product reviews on Twitter...no wonder she is sh*t on 2fm

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    The one, ex the Apprentice dope

Jennifer Maquire Zambrotta Zanzibar Zampalampalini?

Jennifer Maquire Zambrotta Zanzibar Zampalampalini?

That the one!! Fair play to someone with zero talent getting such a high profile job....shows the level of gobs**ts she is up against

That the one!! Fair play to someone with zero talent getting such a high profile job....shows the level of gobs**ts she is up against

Now you can’t complain :) when’s the JNLR!

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote: »
    Now you can’t complain :) when’s the JNLR!

JNLR?

JNLR?

Joint nation listenership research (JNLR) Radio Audience numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭satguy

Tonight at 8 RTE are showing .. Only Fools and Horses ( have they nothing better, are they pulling our leg ? )

And after the News they are showing "The Best Of The Late Late Show" ( why are we being asked to pay for this rubbish )

We can only hope SF get into power,, and put a stop to this D4 social club / jobs for the Boys Scam..

satguy wrote: »
    Tonight at 8 RTE are showing .. Only Fools and Horses ( have they nothing better, are they pulling our leg ? )

And after the News they are showing "The Best Of The Late Late Show" ( why are we being asked to pay for this rubbish )

We can only hope SF get into power,, and put a stop to this D4 social club / jobs for the Boys Scam..

SF will do nothing and maybe pump more money into Rte, after all SF love a bit of propaganda and RTE don’t give a s**t once they are getting paid

• Registered Users Posts: 33,101 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Ha, if ever there was an example of an organisation that summed up the "jobs for the boys" motto, its SF.

Was just thinking about that Dee Forbes tweet...isn't it so crass? She probably got that for nothing as long as she mentioned them in the tweet.....you scratch my back ....

Abuse of her position?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭satguy

The first two sentences of my post (3 post back) show the ribbish RTE are showing us tonight.

But people only see that I mentioned SF.

No way SF will let RTE carry on with crap TV,, So if SF ever get into power, RTE is in trouble,, big time.

The first two sentences of my post (3 post back) show the ribbish RTE are showing us tonight.

But people only see that I mentioned SF.

No way SF will let RTE carry on with crap TV,, So if SF ever get into power, RTE is in trouble,, big time.

What exactly are SF going to do? You brought them into the conversation, can’t complain about it now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Biafranlivemat

Also SF will run RTE on a smaller budget, their studios will be in the Republican Clubs of West Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Also SF will run RTE on a smaller budget, their studios will be in the Republican Clubs of West Belfast.

Cattle Shed on the BAWDER more likely ?

Won't see Tubbs or Darcy there anyways .....allergic to diesel fumes apparently.

My wife watching the Samantha Barry program

Hilarious that she went a number of times for a job in rte and they turned her down. Now she is editor in chief of Glamour. Worked in BBC, CNN etc

But RTE hires f**king Lottie Ryan. Seriously that just a says it’s all.....

Now RTE have a ad with Samantha Barry and if you didnt watch you would actually think they helped her with her career.....the useless f**ks rejected her and now trying to jump on the bandwagon......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Now RTE have a ad with Samantha Barry and if you didnt watch you would actually think they helped her with her career.....the useless f**ks rejected her and now trying to jump on the bandwagon......

I tried watching that... My genuine approach to watching a program is 'I'm a complete newbie to the subject matter-does it make me care/ inform me'.

I switched it off. It was pointless. And as others note, it was just RTE sucking up to her to try and get some 'bonus points' or something. (Maybe score free, top of the line clothing).

I tried watching that... My genuine approach to watching a program is 'I'm a complete newbie to the subject matter-does it make me care/ inform me'.

I switched it off. It was pointless. And as others note, it was just RTE sucking up to her to try and get some 'bonus points' or something. (Maybe score free, top of the line clothing).

The only interesting part was about the amount of times she interviewed for RTE and never got a job

But she walked into jobs with CNN, BBC etc....

We constantly get told Ireland doesnt have the same talent pool, problem is all the talent cant get in because we have the likes of Lottie Ryan and Doireann Garrihy....too clowns that at best should be working in a coffee shop

• Registered Users Posts: 3,211 ✭✭✭TheDavester

The only interesting part was about the amount of times she interviewed for RTE and never got a job

But she walked into jobs with CNN, BBC etc....

We constantly get told Ireland doesnt have the same talent pool, problem is all the talent cant get in because we have the likes of Lottie Ryan and Doireann Garrihy....too clowns that at best should be working in a coffee shop

Probably told her to jog on as she had no relatives in the station

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

RTE are constantly pulling this 'woke' crap to appeal to the tiny but LOUD woke crew.

But then you look behind the scenes, and it's more backwards than your average town hall meeting in the 1960s Ireland.

The way RTE's going, they'll be introducing a phone in confessional, where a TV priest offers salvation and tells you to say 5 hail mary's.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,039 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

RTE are constantly pulling this 'woke' crap to appeal to the tiny but LOUD woke crew.

But then you look behind the scenes, and it's more backwards than your average town hall meeting in the 1960s Ireland.

The way RTE's going, they'll be introducing a phone in confessional, where a TV priest offers salvation and tells you to say 5 hail mary's.

On a premium line no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,101 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I wouldn't be a total RTe basher, and often think they do some things well, but got to give them a bit of credit where its due.

Their Home School Hub was excellent, my kids loved it, and it was very well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,357 ✭✭✭✭elperello

NIMAN wrote: »
    I wouldn't be a total RTe basher, and often think they do some things well, but got to give them a bit of credit where its due.

Their Home School Hub was excellent, my kids loved it, and it was very well done.

That sort of programming is an example of why we should have Public Service Broadcasting.

elperello wrote: »
    That sort of programming is an example of why we should have Public Service Broadcasting.

But it’s to rare and only came about because of lockdown. In 2016 RTÉ said it was NOT cutting funding to Children’s Content rather it was moving that funding to independent producers.

Meanwhile that same year RTÉ had already cut funding to children’s content by 25%.

Then the following year (2017) a further cut of 50% bringing their funding to Children’s content to €3.9m its Lowest funding in 2 decades (2000 - 2018) ... a minor increase to 5m in 2018.

I have no problem praising RTÉ’s home school hub, but they savagely cut funding children’s content while at the same time increasing license fee funding to 2fm (which they’d previously funded from commercial revenue) and in 2017 increased costs to imported programming by 3m the same amount they cut children’s content by.

Meanwhile Ray D’Arcy’s sister-in-law produces home school hub!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,357 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Elmo wrote: »
    But it’s to rare and only came about because of lockdown. In 2016 RTÉ said it was NOT cutting funding to Children’s Content rather it was moving that funding to independent producers.

Meanwhile that same year RTÉ had already cut funding to children’s content by 25%.

Then the following year (2017) a further cut of 50% bringing their funding to Children’s content to €3.9m its Lowest funding in 2 decades (2000 - 2018) ... a minor increase to 5m in 2018.

I have no problem praising RTɒs home school hub, but they savagely cut funding children’s content while at the same time increasing license fee funding to 2fm (which they’d previously funded from commercial revenue) and in 2017 increased costs to imported programming by 3m the same amount they cut children’s content by.

Meanwhile Ray D’Arcy’s sister-in-law produces home school hub!

Of course you are right that it only happened because of the lock down. But because we have a Public Broadcasting Service they were able to move quickly in the public interest. They managed to produce content at short notice that was relevant and supportive for Irish children.

All through this thread people have been coming on saying "let RTE fail and leave it to the market to decide". When the chips are down we need a broadcaster that is relevant to our own needs not the profit motive of some foreign owner.

Your points about cuts to children's programming are well made. Given a choice I too would prefer to see more locally produced content rather than one more popular music channel.

Not sure what difference the family relationship makes if she did a good job.

• Advertisement

elperello wrote: »
    Of course you are right that it only happened because of the lock down. But because we have a Public Broadcasting Service they were able to move quickly in the public interest. They managed to produce content at short notice that was relevant and supportive for Irish children.

All through this thread people have been coming on saying "let RTE fail and leave it to the market to decide". When the chips are down we need a broadcaster that is relevant to our own needs not the profit motive of some foreign owner.

I haven't being saying this, but I don't think its much to asked a Public Service broadcaster to be able to bring something like Home School Hub together. I am not going to praise RTÉ for doing a job they should be doing and one that they should have being doing long ago.
    Not sure what difference the family relationship makes if she did a good job.

Every time I hear "a new name" from RTÉ I have been find family relationships, I don't think this is good for any company or organisation.

Advertisement