Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campagnolo shifter advice

Options
  • 23-10-2019 12:02pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a set of 8 speed Campagnolo Record ergo shifters but they are slipping on the right hand lever. The wheels are Zonda (1995) 8 speed only so want to keep the 8 speed unless they will work with a 9 speed lever?

Are the shifters easy to repair?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Doozerie is the person to ask on this. I seem to remember one of his posts from some years ago taking apart a campy shifter that seemed like a "challenge". I had some jamming on an old 9 speed xenon shifter once but it turned out to be a bit of frayed cable end that was handy enough to extract without disassembly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Borderfox wrote: »
    I have a set of 8 speed Campagnolo Record ergo shifters but they are slipping on the right hand lever. The wheels are Zonda (1995) 8 speed only so want to keep the 8 speed unless they will work with a 9 speed lever?

Easy enough to repair but its getting the parts now will be the challenge.
    Chances are the toothed cog has worn.

WRT the wheel ...Campag made 2 versions of an 8 speed freehub. The later version may take an 9/10 speed cassette.
    The early version deffo wont.
    Only one way to find out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

Borderfox wrote: »

I have twice rebuilt 10 speed record right hand shifters. It’s not easy. There are a number of springs that need to be refitted in exactly the correct way. There are lots of videos on line now though. I did it pre you tube which was more difficult. If it was me I’d try and get a pair on eBay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

Borderfox - unfortunately you can’t fit a 9 speed campag cassette on an 8 speed freehub. Your can change the freehub to a 9-11 speed one thought, but you’ll need to find a late 90s donor hub or freehub, which are hard to come by.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭koutoubia

There was a generation of Athena 8sp rear hubs that had an 8 speed fitted but will take 9 speed and upwards They are the old shape ' bell style ' hub that had the silver coloured freehub as opposed to the black one BUT were marked as 8speed.
    They had the narrow axle and I believe the last gen before they went to the oversized axle that's now common.

I know all this as I am trying to get a freehub to fit the wheels I picked up off you,Letape so I can run 8 speed and upwards!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Thanks for the help, lots to ponder

Advertisement