Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyre rotational direction important?

Options
  • 22-10-2019 2:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭

Just installed a new tubeless tire and being distracted by getting it to seat I've realised I've put it on the wrong way.

It's a road schwalbe pro one and a front tyre. Apart from my OCD does it really matter about rotation direction (I'll change it in the future but right now I haven't the heart to deal with the latex mess unless it's recommended).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭531

I read somewhere that Continental put directional arrows on (bicycle) tyres because that is what customers want. Hard to believe it would make any difference or affect handling or grip. If it is the front wheel, just flip it around if it bothers you.. The rear..... I would just leave it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,475 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Yeah, if it's a front wheel, if the wheel itself directional? Just flip the qr skewer around.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Yeah, if it's a front wheel, if the wheel itself directional? Just flip the qr skewer around.

It is if it's a disc wheel

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Disc brakes, no flipping the wheel :) also I'm hurt you think I'd be so dumb to not figure that out myself.

I'm working under the impression it can't actually be important although I can see the backward tread pattern right now. It's mocking me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,475 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i typed that at 6:20am, that's my excuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

used to run mtb tyres the wrong way round because you were supposed to get "better grip" something to do with blocks been sharper or something never really noticed a difference (this was running panaracer smokes in the mid 90's though)

dont bother now just stick em on with the arrow pointing forward

oh purple bits made your bike faster as well

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Apart from my OCD does it really matter about rotation direction

Mental image of you hopping on the bike, starting to pedal, and the bike going backwards :pac:

FWIW, I've often wondered this myself but doubt it makes any difference except just possibly for elite racers on perfectly smooth roads looking to save milliwatts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Yeah I'll just have to learn to cope for now. Maybe I can pass it off as a new fashion trend. All the cool kids are installing their tyres backwards now.

what it means is that in the wet, the water will spray off your wheel in the opposite direction.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,492 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Zero difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

what it means is that in the wet, the water will spray off your wheel in the opposite direction.

if only !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

100% makes a difference... on MTB tyres. On a racer tyre? The greatest difference would be the pressure that the arrow pointing the wrong way would put on my OCD. There is a slight directional thread on my Continental GP4000S tyres which I would not be happy to see going the wrong way, but then again they are clinchers.

The wrong-way MTB tyre effect was pretty noticeable once you went to take a corner as I recall. It felt as if you were being forced to track wider than you had intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭plodder

531 wrote: »
    I read somewhere that Continental put directional arrows on (bicycle) tyres because that is what customers want.
    Haha. What next? Speed ratings?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,492 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

check_six wrote: »
    On a racer tyre? The greatest difference would be the pressure that the arrow pointing the wrong way would put on my OCD. There is a slight directional thread on my Continental GP4000S tyres which I would not be happy to see going the wrong way, but then again they are clinchers.

I run GP4000S, other than it doesn't look nice if you look closely, it makes no differnce handling wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ridelikeaturtle

On any tyre that has a directional arrow, I'd always consider that someone went to the trouble to have that put there that way, logically there should be a reason. (Doesn't necessarily mean there is a logical reason.)

Reminds me of most kinds of documentation (e.g., instruction sheets). Very few people read them, but somebody writes them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

You'll have to steer in the opposite direction now I'm afraid. You'll catch on quick, just be careful if you try ride a bike with the tyres on the right way round again.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

I did this recently changing the tyre on a wheel with hub gear and drum brake.
    While I imagine it is unlikely to make any difference and is a bit of bother to change I still want to take it off and flip it over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭plodder

You'll have to steer in the opposite direction now I'm afraid. You'll catch on quick, just be careful if you try ride a bike with the tyres on the right way round again.
    And be careful, if visiting Australia/NZ, they put them on the opposite way in the Southern hemisphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

I put on a tyre (brand new tyre, tube AND wheel!) and within a few kms I ended up with a massive tear against the thread direction.

I wondered if this was possibly due to some combination of debris/bad road surface and me putting it on backwards.

It was strange tho - I really was on the first test spin to test the new wheelset. I had actually assumed it was me being a di(k and causing a pinch flat, until I put the new tube in and seen the massive hole.

Now I have typed this I realise it is of no help - anecdotal story about something related to something to do with tyres..

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭myclist

It really only matters for the first few hundred KM. As you cant flip the front wheel, simply rotate the handlebars 180 degrees and ride for a few hundred k and after the tyres have settled in return the bars to the normal position.!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

531 wrote: »
    I read somewhere that Continental put directional arrows on (bicycle) tyres because that is what customers want. Hard to believe it would make any difference or affect handling or grip. If it is the front wheel, just flip it around if it bothers you.. The rear..... I would just leave it.

I think even the tread on a lot of road-bike tyres is just there because consumers worry about aquaplaning and "bald" tyres when they're not there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

I had the schwalbe pro one on the wrong way for one spin before correcting it. Didn't notice any difference

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

From the horses mouth (it doesn't matter) :
    Why are so many treads direction dependent?
    In the case of a road tire the rolling direction is mainly important for esthetic considerations. Tires marked with arrows simply look more dynamic.

Off road, the rolling direction is far more important, as the tread ensures optimum connection between the tire and the ground. The rear wheel transmits the driving force and the front wheel transmits the braking and steering forces. Driving and braking forces operate in different directions. That is why certain tires are fitted in opposite rotating directions when used as front and rear tires.

There are also treads without a specified rotating direction.

Advertisement