Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ensuite electrical problem

Options
  • 21-10-2019 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Did a small makeover to one on the back bedrooms and decided to replace the old white sockets and light switch with fancy coloured ones.

The sockets were single gang switched with USB charging ports. I'm not an electrician but have replaced light switches and sockets before.

All went well and all powered up until going to bed and the light/extractor fan in the ensuite won't work.

1. All sockets upstairs working
    2. All light fixtures upstairs working.
    3. No circuit breaker tripped on fuse board
    4. We still have power going to the shower in the ensuite.

The ensuite was renovated, professionally, about 6 months ago. There is an isolator switch above door but is in the on position. Am I correct in saying that the isolator switch doesn't contain a fuse?

Have I missed something here or is this just a coincidence?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Pronto63 wrote: »
    Did a small makeover to one on the back bedrooms and decided to replace the old white sockets and light switch with fancy coloured ones.

The sockets were single gang switched with USB charging ports. I'm not an electrician but have replaced light switches and sockets before.

All went well and all powered up until going to bed and the light/extractor fan in the ensuite won't work.

1. All sockets upstairs working
    2. All light fixtures upstairs working.
    3. No circuit breaker tripped on fuse board
    4. We still have power going to the shower in the ensuite.

The ensuite was renovated, professionally, about 6 months ago. There is an isolator switch above door but is in the on position. Am I correct in saying that the isolator switch doesn't contain a fuse?

Have I missed something here or is this just a coincidence?

If you switch on everything you fitted, does the bathroom work?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

mickdw wrote: »
    If you switch on everything you fitted, does the bathroom work?

Ah ha!
    When I switch off the new light switch, in the bedroom, the bathroom works!
    What's going on here?

Ah ha!
    What's going on here?

You must have mixed up the wiring in that bedroom light switch.
    I would have thought it might work when that switch was in the on position but you say if works when bedroom is off.
    Are there 2 switches for the bedroom light?

mickdw wrote: »
    You must have mixed up the wiring in that bedroom light switch.
    I would have thought it might work when that switch was in the on position but you say if works when bedroom is off.
    Are there 2 switches for the bedroom light?

No. Straight forward single light - single switch set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Ah ha!
    What's going on here?

Does it work even if the light switch for the bathroom is off?
    My guess is that you have taken the supply for the bathroom from the switched side of the new bedroom switch, rather than the live side, so you have two browns coming from the switched side

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Word of warning on this to always label wires before you remove them. I'm countless times saying this to my father only having so spend half hours chasing cables to fix faults like this

Does it work even if the light switch for the bathroom is off?
    My guess is that you have taken the supply for the bathroom from the switched side of the new bedroom switch, rather than the live side, so you have two browns coming from the switched side

Not sure I understand. I didn't do any work in ensuite.
    Also there is a family bathroom between the bedroom, with the new light switch, and the ensuite where the problem is. The lights in this family bathroom are still working as normal.

Will have another look at the new switch in the bedroom tonight but from what I recall it was straight forward 2 neutral (blue), 2 live and earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Not sure I understand. I didn't do any work in ensuite.
    Also there is a family bathroom between the bedroom, with the new light switch, and the ensuite where the problem is. The lights in this family bathroom are still working as normal.

Will have another look at the new switch in the bedroom tonight but from what I recall it was straight forward 2 neutral (blue), 2 live and earth.

Most switches have no earth is it metal ?

Appears you wired the neutral or the switched live to live.

You've mixed up the wiring. Suggest opening it again and reviewing the colour of the wires. That obviously assuming the cables have different colours and are not old and that they were correctly coloured originally for function

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

Sounds like the live feed is coming from your bedroom switch and you connected this to the off terminal rather than the permanent live.

I figure you have mistakenly comnected the supply to ensuite into the L2 position of the light switch in the bedroom instead of into Com position along with live feed to the switch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

Mick nailed it :)

You most likely have 3 wires behind the switch, 1 wire above and 2 below. You need to remove one of the 2 lower wires (L1 or L2) and connect it to the top one (COM). There are only 2 outcomes. One will be correct while the other will result in the bedroom light being on permanently, irrespective of switch position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

hesker wrote: »

Whoops 😬

dodzy wrote: »
    Mick nailed it :)

You most likely have 3 wires behind the switch, 1 wire above and 2 below. You need to remove one of the 2 lower wires (L1 or L2) and connect it to the top one (COM). There are only 2 outcomes. One will be correct while the other will result in the bedroom light being on permanently, irrespective of switch position.

Spot on.
    Thanks to everyone I for your advice.
    I reckon the best bit of advice is label before removing old fitting.

Advertisement