Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB Smarter Home officially cancelled :-(

Options
  • 21-10-2019 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Just got the following email:

"Dear Customer,

Electric Ireland has made a decision to discontinue the Smarter Home service. This decision has not been taken lightly, much of our customer feedback and research has shown us that the current smart home solution is not the best way forward.

We will be contacting you by phone over the coming weeks to set up an appointment to remove the Smarter Home equipment from your home and to answer any questions you may have. The Smarter Home service will be switched off on Monday morning, 16th December 2019. If your removal appointment does not occur before then, the service will still be switched off on this date.

If you have plugs set on timers for devices, these should be removed as they will no longer work after December 16th. Should you wish to replace them, you can buy smart plugs, bulbs and other devices at many online and high street electrical retailers.

Your last monthly subscription payment was in September and you will not be charged any further for the service. To apologise for the inconvenience caused and to thank you for being a Smarter Home customer, we will credit your Electric Ireland account with €50."

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'm not surprised, it was terrible value for money IMO.

€4 per month for two smart plugs, which you can buy on amazon for about €10 each and no sub needed!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭sharpish

not surprised I never really heard of many people with them. Worked great for controlling my immersion. They never really expanded the functionality or tried to sell more ad-ons.

To be honest I think i'll actually come out of this deal ahead. I got 50 today of my next bill, I know I got 100 or 150 for doing a survey before and there was something else they gave me money for.

They must have lost their shirt on this venture
    flat6 wrote: »
    Just got the following email:

"Dear Customer,

Electric Ireland has made a decision to discontinue the Smarter Home service. This decision has not been taken lightly, much of our customer feedback and research has shown us that the current smart home solution is not the best way forward.

We will be contacting you by phone over the coming weeks to set up an appointment to remove the Smarter Home equipment from your home and to answer any questions you may have. The Smarter Home service will be switched off on Monday morning, 16th December 2019. If your removal appointment does not occur before then, the service will still be switched off on this date.

If you have plugs set on timers for devices, these should be removed as they will no longer work after December 16th. Should you wish to replace them, you can buy smart plugs, bulbs and other devices at many online and high street electrical retailers.

Your last monthly subscription payment was in September and you will not be charged any further for the service. To apologise for the inconvenience caused and to thank you for being a Smarter Home customer, we will credit your Electric Ireland account with €50."

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭flat6

Only subbed to get immersion control, time to start looking for alternatives, thinking of this one (I need Google Home support) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Optimum-OP-BM-IHTWF01-Universal-Immersion/dp/B077NBZ3LD/

• Registered Users Posts: 43 redeye101

I'm in the same boat looking for a hub to control the 40A smart switch for the immersion. Any other suggestions or recommendations other than the one above? Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Anyone actually have any of this stuff collected? Can’t see how it’s worthwhile them collecting, having said that has anyone managed to get this kit working with anything else?

• Advertisement

AmberGold wrote: »
    Anyone actually have any of this stuff collected? Can’t see how it’s worthwhile them collecting, having said that has anyone managed to get this kit working with anything else?

They came a couple of weeks ago to collect mine. I think it was worth it to have it gone and my circuit board back to normal. I do miss being able to turn on my hotwater before i get home and keeping an eye on usage this time of year.

It only took 10mins to have it removed but you have to be home to give them access which is a pain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭H.E. Pennypacker

They left the 40A immersion switch wired to the consumer panel - is that the same for everyone?

Has everyone got their €50 credit? mine hasn't appeared....

They left the 40A immersion switch wired to the consumer panel - is that the same for everyone?

Fairly sure they took everything away from my board. Don’t think I got the credit but I switched because my rate had gone up and I was just fed up for electric ireland.

sharpish wrote: »
    Fairly sure they took everything away from my board. Don’t think I got the credit but I switched because my rate had gone up and I was just fed up for electric ireland.

Thanks - I’ve emailed them about it and sent a pic of the switch. My rate is uncompetitive too so I’m thinking strongly about switching.

Thanks - I’ve emailed them about it and sent a pic of the switch. My rate is uncompetitive too so I’m thinking strongly about switching.

Yeah my bill snuck up with electric ireland. I went on one of the comparison websites and it was really quick and easy. Now I’m on level pay which is great too

• Advertisement

Appeared on my bill as ex gratia payment. Dunno when they applied I switched 4th November but there was an issue so just got it sorted this week.

sharpish wrote: »
    Appeared on my bill as ex gratia payment. Dunno when they applied I switched 4th November but there was an issue so just got it sorted this week.

Thanks - it's appeared on my account now too :)

They came back and removed the 40A switch too when asked to so its all sorted.

Advertisement