Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

17 hour Long Haul flight. Any advice

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Some airlines won't sell them and keep them for passengers with infants.

If you can purchase them, this is a must and will be the best money you spend.

Failing That, business. Seriously, worth every

People under 16 are not allowed in emergency rows as they are unable to assist with the doors etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

grogi wrote: »
    No Airline ever will put infants, children or people with disabilities at the emergency exits.

Sorry, meant bulkhead... d'oh.

A few years back we couldn't find any airline willing to presell exit / bulkhead seats hence the move to business and never looked back.

The OH did say that last year she looked at economy whereby she could book the exit/ bulkhead, but after it was all added up it just made more sense to fly business... can't remember the airline.

I'm talking about long haul flights here (2 x 8 hour flights)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Sorry, meant bulkhead... d'oh.

A few years back we couldn't find any airline willing to presell exit / bulkhead seats hence the move to business and never looked back.

The OH did say that last year she looked at economy whereby she could book the exit/ bulkhead, but after it was all added up it just made more sense to fly business... can't remember the airline.

I'm talking about long haul flights here (2 x 8 hour flights)

You can book a normal seat with most airlines and then contact them to request a bulkhead seat. Has worked for us on the last two trips (travelling with a child). However, the bulkhead is where the infant bassinet is usually located so it's an infant space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Some airlines won't sell them and keep them for passengers with infants.

If you can purchase them, this is a must and will be the best money you spend.

Failing That, business. Seriously, worth every penny. We don't even consider long haul economy anymore. There are fair deals to be had if you shop around. This year we got return Dub - Bkk. Turkish was almost half the price if Qatar business class (but eek booked 8 months in advance)

Are you going to say how much "almost half the price of Qatar business" is in actual currency? Way out of most people's budgets or what they are willing to fork out for a flight I'd assume.

A good deal for business* is going to be at least 4 times the price of economy on the same flight, often 10x is closer to the going rate.

Better than that is usually only possible by taking a non-connecting flight to an obscure airport that a major carrier or partner airline is offering cheap rates on connections through hubs. A much longer trip with at least 1 extra sector than necessary each way as well as the cost and time spent on short haul cattle class.

*proper lie-flat seats with partial privacy minimum, not the rubbish large regular seats marketed as business by some airlines.

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Are you going to say how much "almost half the price of Qatar business" is in actual currency? Way out of most people's budgets or what they are willing to fork out for a flight I'd assume.

A good deal for business* is going to be at least 4 times the price of economy on the same flight, often 10x is closer to the going rate.

Better than that is usually only possible by taking a non-connecting flight to an obscure airport that a major carrier or partner airline is offering cheap rates on connections through hubs. A much longer trip with at least 1 extra sector than necessary each way as well as the cost and time spent on short haul cattle class.

*proper lie-flat seats with partial privacy minimum, not the rubbish large regular seats marketed as business by some airlines.

Still worth it.

Can't even remember the exact figures.... Do a search yourself for prices if you're interested.

The thread title asked for advice... I gave my advice. A 17 hour flight will be a pleasure if flying business. I'm actually looking forward to my 11 hour flight (and 8 hour layover in IST) next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Still worth it.

Can't even remember the exact figures.... Do a search yourself for prices if you're interested.

The thread title asked for advice... I gave my advice. A 17 hour flight will be a pleasure if flying business. I'm actually looking forward to my 11 hour flight (and 8 hour layover in IST) next week

To be fair for most people it most certainly is not worth it and they wouldn't even waste their time checking, I suspect that if you were to furnish us with actual figures that would only confirm it. I'd hazard a guess that the OPs flights in business class would run him about €8k vs maybe €1300 economy.

To be fair for most people it most certainly is not worth it and they wouldn't even waste their time checking, I suspect that if you were to furnish us with actual figures that would only confirm it. I'd hazard a guess that the OPs flights in business class would run him about €8k vs maybe €1300 economy.

I'm sitting waiting for breakfast so had a look.

4600 return for 2. DUB- BKK. Dec 5 - Jan 6, so busy period. This would have been approx 1600 economy.

Booked on Turkish website. Booked back in March 2019.

Checked Qatar a while back and it was 8k.

You'd be a fool not to book business at that price. Prob one of the cheapest business we've gotten for that flight (been flying this route business for 9 years now, I think)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Still worth it.

I did and have done so for my own trips before, like I said 4x economy is a good deal, checking way in advance (autumn 2020) €450 vs €1900 return for a random date DUB-BKK

Flying only LHR-BKK return on the same flights as that DUB-BKK via Heathrow costs €2900, you get a €1k discount for starting in Dub in business. Economy on that flight is €150 more from Dub, it would be cheaper to buy the connecting flight separately.

And I expanded on that advice; relatively few would be able to afford or justify €1500 to upgrade to business, as you hadn't actually provided any figures I thought a little context might be helpful.

I am not denying for a second it is a world apart from an economy flight, my personal opinion on 17 hours straight in cattle class is I'd rather stay at home or at least break it up somewhere in between I wanted to go to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

May I suggest Quaaludes? As per the Wolf of Wall Street?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

I'm sitting waiting for breakfast so had a look.

4600 return for 2. DUB- BKK. Dec 5 - Jan 6, so busy period. This would have been approx 1600 economy.

Booked on Turkish website. Booked back in March 2019.

Checked Qatar a while back and it was 8k.

You'd be a fool not to book business at that price. Prob one of the cheapest business we've gotten for that flight (been flying this route business for 9 years now, I think)

That's a great price. We got Aer Lingus business class from Dublin to Miami return for €750 each this Christmas and it was well worth it.

martyoo wrote: »
    That's a great price. We got Aer Lingus business class from Dublin to Miami return for €750 each this Christmas and it was well worth it.

That's a bargain. Had to book business with Aer Lingus last minute for a family member. DUB- Toronto return was 1800.... and I didn't even get to fly!!

Advertisement