Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Forensic/crime scene photography.

• 03-10-2019 6:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭

Hi, I was wondering if anyone here has worked/has experience in Forensic/crime scene photography in Ireland. I am thinking of applying for a role and would be keen to hear a bit of feedback/experience.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Are you a Garda already? Isn't that where they recruit from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭Walter Sobchak III

All recruited from within.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,186 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i would assume crime scene photography would not be something which would appeal to someone who would regard photography as a pastime?
    in that i assume it's quite straightforward; flat lighting, record the scene, move on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

When I was in Dublin I organised a talk at the Dublin Camera Club from the Crime Photographers. The head of the unit at the time gave the talk and he kept telling me it was going to be very boring. It ended up being a brilliant night. He was a great speaker and very entertaining.

The thing was he could not show many photo's as most were still confidential or involved in some legal process. There were some interesting historic images. The process was explained too and some test shots shown.

Those in the unit were all Gardai before being part of the unit and they also were assigned to general duties between photographic assignments.They need to be to access the crime scenes and to control the data etc. So the route to take would be to join the Gards first.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,186 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

when i was in fifth year in school, our chemistry teacher decided to get someone who used chemistry in their day job, as a way of showing us 'look, there's interesting stuff you can do with chemistry'.
    it was the head of the national forensics lab. he arrived with a garda - he had 24 hour garda protection because he'd lost his feet in an explosion where the general had tried to kill him. it was morbid and fascinating, kinda perfect for a bunch of 16 and 17 year old boys. some of the stuff he talked about was working on the mountbatten bombing, for example.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/icrime/a-hero-in-his-own-time-with-the-marks-to-prove-it-61041.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

i would assume crime scene photography would not be something which would appeal to someone who would regard photography as a pastime?
    in that i assume it's quite straightforward; flat lighting, record the scene, move on.

I'm not a hobbyist photographer, I've worked as a pro photographer for the past 15 years.

Appreciate the reply, but I was looking to see if anyone here has actually worked in this role in the past, or currently. I've done a lot of research on the area and spoken to the Garda about it, I am also aware of the technical/photography requirements.

BTW to the other posters who mentioned it: you don't have to be a Garda or need to become one to do this role in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

Lesalare wrote: »
    I'm not a hobbyist photographer, I've worked as a pro photographer for the past 15 years.

Appreciate the reply, but I was looking to see if anyone here has actually worked in this role in the past, or currently. I've done a lot of research on the area and spoken to the Garda about it, I am also aware of the technical/photography requirements.

BTW to the other posters who mentioned it: you don't have to be a Garda or need to become one to do this role in Ireland.

Photography section in Garda HQ are staffed by members of the Gardai attached to the technical bureau. They mostly do homicide scenes. I don’t believe they are being civilianised.

Divisional scene of crime scene examiners role is supposed to become civilianised much like in the UK. They don’t just do scene photography though, they do a full scene examination, fingerprints etc. Keep an eye on public jobs.ie as it’s part of Drew Harris’ commitment to civilianise the Gardai were possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Lesalare wrote: »
    I was looking to see if anyone here has actually worked in this role in the past, or currently.

Have you tried posting over in the emergency services forum?

Advertisement