Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

05-01-2019, 18:35   #1
Cfaherty

Upgrading RAM

i I’m trying to choose a laptop for music production - one that can run Protools efficiently. Unfortunately I’m on a budget. It is recommended that a PC with 16 GB RAM is purchased but these are so expensive when you add all the the recommended specs like intel core i7, USB 3.1 ports and 500Gb SSD. Anyway I did come accross Dell Inspiron 15 (7000) that is just about within my budget. This laptop has all the recommended specs but 8 gb RAM but it says it can be upgraded to 32 gb. I was thinking of buying this pc and if there is not enough RAM, upgrading at a later date. Anyway as I don’t know a lot about computers I was looking for advice whether this is a good idea or not? I really don’t want to run in to problems down the road upgrading the RAM after spending so much on the laptop (it’s about €1100). Any advice is much appreciated!!
Advertisement
30-01-2019, 13:25   #2
jiltloop

I think you'll probably find that 8Gb RAM is fine, my laptop is a 7 year old Dell XPS i7 with 6Gb RAM which has always been well able to handle anything that I've thrown at it (running 64bit Ableton/Reaper/Reason etc with various soft synths such as Absynth, Serum, Moog Modular etc). If you do find yourself wanting to upgrade down the line it should be a fairly simple procedure.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion