Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Donald Trump is the President Mark IV (Read Mod Warning in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Dr Ford overcame significant personal fears and came forward in order to perform her Civic duty by making her allegation BEFORE Kavanaugh was selected as the Trump nomination to the Court.

She did that by approaching her Member of Congress in the first instance, as soon as she began to feel that Kav was being considered for nomination to a position on the USSC. Because of her belief that Kav had attacked her as part of a drunken sexual assault that involved another boy as well, when she was just 15, she did not believe that he was fit to serve on that Court for his lifetime.

She would have been fully entitled to assume that, in a properly working system, with which she was not particularly familiar, the political and legal mechanisms would have dealt with her allegations with sufficient seriousness and haste, given their gravity. What happened from there onwards is in no way a reflection on Dr Ford. Many others will, rightly or wrongly, be accused of various errors of commission and omission, as well as outright naked politicking and manipulation. If 'the system' had dealt with her allegation properly, it might never have become the 'free-for-all' that subsequently happened. Her desire for confidentiality could have been honoured by discrete FBI investigation as part of Kav's background check.

Because of all this, Dr Ford has been spectacularly failed by 'the system' and an already dark episode in her early life has been publicly exposed in a way that will re-inforce the original trauma. Whatever is now said, and whomever is judged to be responsible for any failing in this process, Dr Ford is the only one who has come out of that process with dignity and honour. Continued attacks on her are reprehensible, and ought to be called out in the strongest terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,050 ✭✭✭✭looksee

As the retired judge above has said, Kavanaugh's behaviour and demeanor at the hearing should be enough to disqualify him, he showed none of the qualities required for that kind of position - I would go as far as to say he showed no qualities that would qualify him for any professional position, never mind one of the highest in the land. Dear god, a president and a high court judge who both deal with issues by throwing tantrums and bullying, it beggars belief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/luluramadan/status/1047916196568453123?s=21

Right for the people who think it's a democratic plot and the Dr Ford issue doesn't hurt him. Above Is a lifelong republican former Supreme Court justice who said he feels judge Kavanagh is wrong for the court.

So which conspiracy fits the former Supreme Court justice ?

Probably a perpetually self-loathing white male snowflake, or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

looksee wrote: »
    As the retired judge above has said, Kavanaugh's behaviour and demeanor at the hearing should be enough to disqualify him, he showed none of the qualities required for that kind of position - I would go as far as to say he showed no qualities that would qualify him for any professional position, never mind one of the highest in the land. Dear god, a president and a high court judge who both deal with issues by throwing tantrums and bullying, it beggars belief.

What a retired SC Justice says doesn't really matter one way or the other; though I would be interested in hearing the audio rather than a tweet saying what he said. THis is a politically charged scenario so actually hearing what people said, rather than trusting one person's perception, is important. Whichever side of the aisle you sit on.

Whether you believe he is the right person for the job is neither here nor there; your not the decision maker. The senate is. And the actual evidence they have been provided is very strong in respect of his ability to do the job, from organisations as diverse as the FBI and the ABA.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So 2scoops, you have no actual evidence against HC. You have lots of probables, plenty of possibles and lots of maybes, but actual proof.

Why are you holding different people to different standards. Only this week NYT presented a pretty damning expose of Trump avoiding taxes. Yet hardly a peep out of you.

There is lots of accusations that the FBI were working for HC, yet here we have an FBI investigation controlled by the WH and you have expressed no concerns .

Trump made plenty of unsubstantiated claims about Obama and HC yet you don't seem to hold him to the same standards as Dr Ford.

Its almost as if you have created separate standards to hold people so that you can convince yourself you are being open minded.

At least admit it that based on your current stance on Kavanaugh, you were wrong to prejudge HC. And that you, Trump, and the entire right wing media owe her an apology for your belatedly arrival at your current position on evidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

RobertKK wrote: »
    I remember people here who were confident last week that the FBI would turn up stuff, now they are dismissing the FBI since it didn't come back with what they expected and some are prepared to believe every word a Democrat says.
    Yet nothing to stop Brett Kavanaugh becoming a Supreme Court judge.

So if he is confirmed what do you think as an individual, not as a Trump supporter/Republican, of his fitness for the position given his performance during the hearing? Considering the responsibility and power of the position do you have faith in his ability to carry out the role effectively?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭Nermal

drkpower wrote: »
    Of course, the investigation isn't up to the best standards of what the FBI normally conduct. But the circumstances in which the FBI usually conduct such investigations is in the criminal context.

This is not a criminal context. And, at the end of the day, no criminal complaint has EVER been made. This is a political arena, like it or not. dr ford chose to enter this arena. She could have made a criminal complaint; she didn't. That option is still open to her, and if that claim is proven, the case for impeachment is undeniable.

What the FBI have done, certainly in respect of the ford allegations, is speak to those who could have corrroborative evidence, and it appears no such corroboration exists.

In a practical context, any FBI Investigation that would match what they would do in the criminal context would take months; that simply is not either practically or politically possible. The political reality is that if an allegation first raised on the eve of a sensitive political appointment can be allowed to delay such an appointment for months by a so far uncorrobrated allegation, the system would completely break down. And that applies whatever side of the aisle you are on. Be careful what you wish for.

Great post. Allegations of rape should be made to the police, not to senators.

So if he is confirmed what do you think as an individual, not as a Trump supporter/Republican, of his fitness for the position given his performance during the hearing? Considering the responsibility and power of the position do you have faith in his ability to carry out the role effectively?

Apologies for answering a question nor directed at me.

That said, as a democrat supporter (insofar as any of us can say we are not living in the US) and as someone's who thinks that kavanaugh, from a political perspective, will be bad bad news on the SC, I think he needs to be confirmed.

I thought his performance in the hearings was mixed to say the least; the allegations of political bias, while 100% accurate in my view, were inappropriate for him to raise and his demeanour at times was inappropriate. However, he has been subjected to allegations of sexual assault, rape, media slaughter, and more in the past few weeks. Despite not wanting him on the SC at all, I can understand why his performance was not what it should be.

People need to separate their politics from the substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

Apologies for answering a question nor directed at me.

That said, as a democrat supporter (insofar as any of us can say we are not living in the US) and as someone's who thinks that kavanaugh, from a political perspective, will be bad bad news on the SC, I think he needs to be confirmed.

I thought his performance in the hearings was mixed to say the least; the allegations of political bias, while 100% accurate in my view, were inappropriate for him to raise and his demeanour at times was inappropriate. However, he has been subjected to allegations of sexual assault, rape, media slaughter, and more in the past few weeks. Despite not wanting him on the SC at all, I can understand why his performance was not what it should be.

People need to separate their politics from the substance.
    Ford has had her entire life ripped apart with death threats recently and remained calm.

I feel like this is a serious case of low standards here.

Lying to the senate alone should have sunk him. I mean it goes against the Republican philosophy these days to ever admit a mistake in spite of hoards of them so he will get on.

Still his ability to keep his calm is largely irrelevant to Republicans. There is plenty of charged topics for him to rule on.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,438 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

What a retired SC Justice says doesn't really matter one way or the other; though I would be interested in hearing the audio rather than a tweet saying what he said. THis is a politically charged scenario so actually hearing what people said, rather than trusting one person's perception, is important. Whichever side of the aisle you sit on.

Whether you believe he is the right person for the job is neither here nor there; your not the decision maker. The senate is. And the actual evidence they have been provided is very strong in respect of his ability to do the job, from organisations as diverse as the FBI and the ABA.

well it kind of does given that he's actually held a position on the court judge Kavanagh is hoping to be on.

The senate a political body which helps decide a position for what is meant to be a non political position. I realise that isn't the fault of judge Kavanagh but it's clearly a horrible system.

Except the ABA wrote a letter against his nomination so that's hardly good.

• Advertisement

Christy42 wrote: »
    Ford has had her entire life ripped apart with death threats recently and remained calm.

I feel like this is a serious case of low standards here.

Lying to the senate alone should have sunk him. I mean it goes against the Republican philosophy these days to ever admit a mistake in spite of hoards of them so he will get on.

Still his ability to keep his calm is largely irrelevant to Republicans. There is plenty of charged topics for him to rule on.

Whether ford or kavanaugh was a better witness is not the issue here. Ford was clearly a better witness. But she isn't the nominee for the SC. this is not a competitive process betweeen the two. Kavanaugh has to be treated on his own merits. And within the context of what he has been through (without reference to what ford has been through, which is completely irrelevant to the decision at hand).

Kavanaugh, in my view, clearly lied in his evidence (what devils traingle, boofing etc means). However, none of the lies pertained in any way to the allegations at issue. And more importantly, there is absolutely now evidence of him lying (orpther thaapn the supposition of me and others).

The senates role is to advise and consent; that is fundamentally in relation to his qualifications for the job. It is not to decide on whether he is a god guy, or even of good character for that matter.

Elections have consequences unfortunately. And the 2016 election has real life consequences. Like this.

well it kind of does given that he's actually held a position on the court judge Kavanagh is hoping to be on.

The senate a political body which helps decide a position for what is meant to be a non political position. I realise that isn't the fault of judge Kavanagh but it's clearly a horrible system.

Stephens doesn't have role in this process; but more importantly I would like to hear what he actually said , not what was reported.

As for the ABA, they did NOT write a letter against his nomination. Far from it, and you should really know that. They gave him a rating of 'well qualified' which by alll accounts is the highest rmating available. What they asked for is an FBI investigation before confirmation. That has been conducted.

Originally Posted by drkpower

And the FBI didn't offer any evidence as to his ability to do the job, all they did was (apparently) say there was no evidence (from the very limited number of people they were allowed to question) of his having assaulted Professor Ford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Whether ford or kavanaugh was a better witness is not the issue here. Ford was clearly a better witness. But she isn't the nominee for the SC. this is not a competitive process betweeen the two. Kavanaugh has to be treated on his own merits. And within the context of what he has been through (without reference to what ford has been through, which is completely irrelevant to the decision at hand).

Kavanaugh, in my view, clearly lied in his evidence (what devils traingle, boofing etc means). However, none of the lies pertained in any way to the allegations at issue. And more importantly, there is absolutely now evidence of him lying (orpther thaapn the supposition of me and others).

The senates role is to advise and consent; that is fundamentally in relation to his qualifications for the job. It is not to decide on whether he is a god guy, or even of good character for that matter.

Elections have consequences unfortunately. And the 2016 election has real life consequences. Like this.

The lies did pertain to the allegations, he was trying to paint himself in an entire different light to make the allegations less credible. He was making himself out to be a an innocent studious teen rather than a jock who treated women like they were games. Plus he'd never drink on a weekday....

And the FBI didn't offer any evidence as to his ability to do the job, all they did was (apparently) say there was no evidence (from the very limited number of people they were allowed to question) of his having assaulted Professor Ford.

True; the evidence as to how he did his job has been provided in the some 10,000 documents and testimonials delivered to the senate judiciary committee in the past few months, which have been the subject of extensive evidence, examination and crosss examination, before that committee for the last few weeks, before anyone got interested in this issue.

Stephens doesn't have role in this process; but more importantly I would like to hear what he actually said , not what was reported.

As for the ABA, they did NOT write a letter against his nomination. Far from it, and you should really know that. They gave him a rating of 'well qualified' which by alll accounts is the highest rmating available. What they asked for is an FBI investigation before confirmation. That has been conducted.

'They gave him a rating of 'well qualified' ' - that was before the hearing or any mention of it. Subsequently they asked for a thorough FBI investigation, which has not been carried out - or if it has (in 6 days and with very limited scope) it is being kept very secret, which does not inspire confidence.

batgoat wrote: »
    The lies did pertain to the allegations, he was trying to paint himself in an entire different light to make the allegations less credible. He was making himself out to be a an innocent studious teen rather than a jock who treated women like they were games. Plus he'd never drink on a weekday....

How does drinking on weekdays, drinking (heavily) in college, puking from drink (boofing), engaging in a threesome (devils triangle), or even being a bit of a dick in college (which appears to be the case) pertain to any of the allegations against him in respect of sexual assault and rape?

We're any of those matters pertinent to those alllegations, many people would be in the dock right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

True; the evidence as to how he did his job has been provided in the some 10,000 documents and testimonials delivered to the senate judiciary committee in the past few months, which have been the subject of extensive evidence, examination and crosss examination, before that committee for the last few weeks, before anyone got interested in this issue.

While another 90,000 documents were withheld.

It's kind of like proving how good a footballer is by showing a YouTube highlights video.

A Kavanaugh favourite of mine was when he tried to prevent a teenage prison inmate from getting an abortion. So much for the constitution!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭2 Scoops

Another conspiracy goes down in flames...

https://twitter.com/guypbenson/status/1047930830012796928

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭dinorebel

How does drinking on weekdays, drinking (heavily) in college, puking from drink (boofing), engaging in a threesome (devils triangle), or even being a bit of a dick in college (which appears to be the case) pertain to any of the allegations against him in respect of sexual assault and rape?

We're any of those matters pertinent to those alllegations, many people would be in the dock right now.
    None of those matter what does matter though is that he lied under oath about them. That if nothing else should disqualify him from such a lofted position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,438 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

2 Scoops wrote: »
    Another conspiracy goes down in flames...

https://twitter.com/guypbenson/status/1047930830012796928

what conspiracy ? So it seems that there is at least two meanings to Devil's Triangle then.

That very helpful letter(why couldn't judge Kavanagh have given an explanation like that ?) would have stopped all the guessing and filling in blanks. Judge Kavanagh said it was a drinking game but if he'd said it was a drinking game and gave the above explanation it wouldn't have been an issue and the dems wouldn't have had anything to use.

what conspiracy ? So it seems that there is at least two meanings to Devil's Triangle then.

That very helpful letter(why couldn't judge Kavanagh given an explanation like that ?) would have stopped all the guessing and filling in blanks. Judge Kavanagh said it was a drinking game but if he'd said it was a drinking game and gave the above explanation it wouldn't have been an issue.

He said in the hearing it was a game like quarters before he was cut off.

'They gave him a rating of 'well qualified' ' - that was before the hearing or any mention of it. Subsequently they asked for a thorough FBI investigation, which has not been carried out - or if it has (in 6 days and with very limited scope) it is being kept very secret, which does not inspire confidence.

Yes, they gave him the highest rating available.

And, you are right they asked for an appropriate and thorough investigation. And that brings us round in a circle to what is an appropriate and thorough investigation. I have no idea of what the terms of reference the White House gave the FBI, but equally there has been no comment from the FBI that they need to do further investigations, or that they have uncovered leads that might lead to corroborative evidence (should they be given more time) thus far not found.the FBI as we have seen are not adverse to pushing back against the White House.

So right now, we have the highes rating available, we have an investigation done which has uncovered nothing corroborative. Those are the facts.

dinorebel wrote: »
    None of those matter what does matter though is that he lied under oath about them. That if nothing else should disqualify him from such a lofted position.

However, no evidence that he lied about them has been established. The facts are the facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

Leroy42 wrote: »
    So 2scoops, you have no actual evidence against HC. You have lots of probables, plenty of possibles and lots of maybes, but actual proof.

Why are you holding different people to different standards. Only this week NYT presented a pretty damning expose of Trump avoiding taxes. Yet hardly a peep out of you.

There is lots of accusations that the FBI were working for HC, yet here we have an FBI investigation controlled by the WH and you have expressed no concerns .

Trump made plenty of unsubstantiated claims about Obama and HC yet you don't seem to hold him to the same standards as Dr Ford.

Its almost as if you have created separate standards to hold people so that you can convince yourself you are being open minded.

At least admit it that based on your current stance on Kavanaugh, you were wrong to prejudge HC. And that you, Trump, and the entire right wing media owe her an apology for your belatedly arrival at your current position on evidence.

And while doing all that claimed Bill Clinton committed rape. Still waiting to know when he got that conviction.

If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent...

Pelvis wrote: »
    While another 90,000 documents were withheld.

It's kind of like proving how good a footballer is by showing a YouTube highlights video.

A Kavanaugh favourite of mine was when he tried to prevent a teenage prison inmate from getting an abortion. So much for the constitution!!

And documents by other SC justices were withheld too.kavanaugh has provided more documents than alll previous SC justices combined.

You can always ask for more and suggest impropriety. But that doesn't equal impropriety.

And while doing all that claimed Bill Clinton committed rape. Still waiting to know when he got that conviction.

If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent...

I said Juanita Broadrick had witnesses and credible corroboration that Bill Clinton raped her. Some of the same Democrat senators cascading Kavanaugh without credible evidence ignored her back in 1999. That's where the double standard comes in.

"Broaddrick shared the hotel room with her friend and employee Norma Rogers. Rogers attended a conference seminar that morning, and says she returned to their room to find Broaddrick on the bed "in a state of shock," her pantyhose torn in the crotch and her lip swollen as though she had been hit. Rogers says Broaddrick told her Clinton had "forced himself on her."[12] Rogers helped Broaddrick ice her lip, and then the women left Little Rock. Rogers said that Broaddrick was very upset on the way home and blamed herself for letting Clinton in the room.[3]

Broaddrick says she did not tell her husband, Gary Hickey, about the incident, and told him she accidentally injured her lip. He told NBC he did not remember the injury or her explanation.[3][13] David Broaddrick, however, has said he noticed her injured lip, and she told him that Clinton had raped her when he asked about it. Three other friends confirmed that Broaddrick had told them about the incident at the time: Susan Lewis, Louis Ma, and Jean Darden, Norma Rogers' sister."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

Yes, they gave him the highest rating available.

And, you are right they asked for an appropriate and thorough investigation. And that brings us round in a circle to what is an appropriate and thorough investigation. I have no idea of what the terms of reference the White House gave the FBI, but equally there has been no comment from the FBI that they need to do further investigations, or that they have uncovered leads that might lead to corroborative evidence (should they be given more time) thus far not found.the FBI as we have seen are not adverse to pushing back against the White House.

So right now, we have the highes rating available, we have an investigation done which has uncovered nothing corroborative. Those are the facts.

You say it is a fact that there was a thorough investigation and your entire evidence of it is that you have not seen anything to contradict it. That is not evidence of a thorough investigation.

We do have plenty of evidence he lied on the stand from those who knew him at the time.

Christy42 wrote: »
    You say it is a fact that there was a thorough investigation and your entire evidence of it is that you have not seen anything to contradict it. That is not evidence of a thorough investigation.

We do have plenty of evidence he lied on the stand from those who knew him at the time.

I never said it is a fact that a thorough investigation was performed.

What evidence of him lying do you have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Edit: ah was referring to way too old posts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement