Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Repair at the garage

Options
  • 23-10-2019 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

I have a question.
    Recently I have brought my car to one of the quite famous garages to change a CV Boot on it for NCT. It has been agreed with them before that the job would cost 65euro + the boot itself.
    At the end they did not manage to take the CV joint off the the drive shaft so they weren't able to change the CV boot. I was issued with the invoice of 175 euro for the job they did not manage to do. They have charged me for 2 hours of labor and 2 broken tools( they said they broke these while trying to get the CV joint off the drive shaft). I don't think this is right.:mad: They haven't returned my car till the bill was paid.
    Any chances of getting a refund?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 98 ✭✭Charles Leclerc

I'd call the Gardai and report my car stolen if they refuse to give it back to you, it's not their property to keep. Do not pay them for work they didn't do. Also, check they haven't damaged your car in trying to get the boot off. Chancers!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,434 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Ask them for a detailed breakdown invoice for what you are being charged for. Get it in writing first. Did they say why they were unable to complete the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

I'd call the Gardai and report my car stolen if they refuse to give it back to you, it's not their property to keep. Do not pay them for work they didn't do. Also, check they haven't damaged your car in trying to get the boot off. Chancers!

Firstly the car isn't stolen, so I'd imagine the Gardai would take a dim view of someone wasting their time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

swarlb wrote: »
    Firstly the car isn't stolen, so I'd imagine the Gardai would take a dim view of someone wasting their time.

They're holding his property against his will. Guess we have to look up the definition.

Garda answer will be "civil matter".

As for breaking tools, were their tools in good shape beforehand? What tool is it. How much is it. Are they saying your car was faulty? So many reasons to question that bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Technically it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,909 ✭✭✭kirving

Broken tools is entirely the fault of the mechanic using it.

As the phrase goes, if you work with glass, you break glass. Damaged tools are part and parcel of working with them daily, and the cost of these is factored into the price they charge per hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Why didn't they use a stretch boot to avoid disassembling the joint??

€175 for a failed job? GTFO

bladespin wrote: »
    Technically it is.

It is not stolen... no 'technicality' involved.
    As far as the car being held till the bill is paid... that's not a 'crime'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,909 ✭✭✭kirving

Equally, if the OP doesn't pay a bill, they have a right to seek payment via civil means.

Whatever right they have to seek payment (for a job they didn't do), holding the OP's car as a bargaining chip is an entirely unrelated issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Pay for what? Nothings been done. That's madness and then charging you for broken tools, that's almost pathetic.

I've no idea what you should do as I reckon this was a "managerial" decision on site but holy jaysis its mad.

Lesson learned not to let a tyre fitter do a mechanics work, or maybe I'm jumping to too many conclusions with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Unfortunately the garage are obviously a bunch of muppets with the absolute cheek to try charging you. The fact they even tried pulling this makes me think they feel you're a pushover.

You really have to go back to get your car all guns blazing and put them back in their place. Contract was agreed and they couldn't do it, as embarrasing as that is to start with for them. Demand your car back and if they don't agreed threaten them with legal action for all your wasted time. I'd have no hesitation standing there making a scene for every customer coming in until the keys are handed over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Taking/holding someone's property against their wishes until an non agreed bill is paid? Sure sounds like theft.

They might have something to stand on if they had stuck to the original quotation but they didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,302 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You had a verbal contract. , their incompetence should not cost you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Name this shower so I never have the misfortune of entering their premises

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,434 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Id be more concerned that the garage may have damaged or loosed something on the car. So basically did a 10% job. The car may not be safe (this is not to scare you OP). This is what I would asking them...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

They can't hold your car anyway, especially not for work they haven't actually done.
    As for tools being broken, that's their problem, not yours. As is the two hours wasted doing **** all, seemingly.

What car is it out of curiosity, that they couldn't get a CV joint off?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

To me (not a lawyer) they did not perform the job they took on. Hence they have no right to payment.
    Broken tools are their responsibility, not yours.

Secondly they are refusing you access to your property.
    Call in to local Gardai and ask them.

Ye Know.... going by the OP's 'history' of posts on Boards, I'd be of the opinion that this is not genuine.
    Maybe I'm wrong... but I think the 'muppets' in this particular case, are 'us'...

Advertisement