Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

attic junction box?

Options
  • 19-10-2019 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

hi i want to to hav some outdoor lights installed and have had 2 wildly differnt quotes to install lights that i will be supply, when i questioned the difference the 2nd rec said it was due to the anount of wire and multiple mcbs for the install, i asked were junction boxes an option and he replied its illegal to install under new regs in attics, is this true?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

First of all the new regulations are not applicable yet as they have not been issued. Secondly that is bullish!t.

The regulations that apply right now are ET101:2008.
    Ask him to show you where the regulations state that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 yhejob

2011 wrote: »
    First of all the new regulations are not applicable yet as they have not been issued. Secondly that is bullish!t.

The regulations that apply right now are ET101:2008.
    Ask him to show you where the regulations state that.

thats what i was hoping someone would say, that it was pure bs.

is there anything coming down the line that would be an issue, as id call him out for it if i was 100% sure, but the problem is hes a neighbours husband, however i wouldn't mind telling him hes an asshat if hes trying to pull one.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

No, nothing coming down the line. Banning them would be ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭disposableFish

Could it be that one quote is using SWA for the outside wiring and is protected with RCD vs. the other one just wiring some flex into one of the lighting circuits?

Could it be that one quote is using SWA for the outside wiring and is protected with RCD vs. the other one just wiring some flex into one of the lighting circuits?

i was wondering the same so i asked a similar question as this, the cheaper quote was for t+e to junction boxes and flex to the lights, the other quote was t+e going everywhere (apparently) even out to the lights which lead to my initial post as i was under the impression you could not run t+e outside, there was no mention of rcd protection

• Advertisement

Many cables such as T&E and NYMJ can not be used outside as they are not UV resistant. One way around this issue is to install them in conduit. Pretty soon all lighting circuits will require RCD protection.

2011 wrote: »
    Many cables such as T&E and NYMJ can not be used outside as they are not UV resistant. One way around this issue is to install them in conduit. Pretty soon all lighting circuits will require RCD protection.

do you know if we are talking weeks or months before the rcd requirements are coming in as i was hoping to get this done before christmas, and im woried about being caught up in christmas jobs as this is small enough?

yhejob wrote: »
    do you know if we are talking weeks or months before the rcd requirements are coming in as i was hoping to get this done before christmas, and im woried about being caught up in christmas jobs as this is small enough?

This is the timetable that was circulated some time ago:

Implementation Dates
    Projects designed under ET101 before 31/12/2019:
    - designer must attach certificate of design showing date.
    - must complete and certify by 31/12/2021
    New projects designed after 01/01/2020:
    - must comply with IS:10101
    Refurbishment projects designed after 01/01/2020:
    - must comply with IS:10101
    Possibly where refurbishment is >75% of the entire installation then the entire installation must comply with IS:10101

I was at the NSAI offices recently and they assure me that the new rules (IS10101) would be released in Q4 this year.

Advertisement