Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Exchanged UK driving licence, now I can drive motorbikes?

• 23-10-2019 12:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

Please could someone explain this?

EDIT: I’m trying to attached a picture.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Picture now attached.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

certainly looks like it!

I assume from your tone that its an error?

certainly looks like it!

I assume from your tone that its an error?

Yes, I've never ridden a motorbike in my life. I'm going to buy myself a Harley now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Yes, I've never ridden a motorbike in my life. I'm going to buy myself a Harley now.

My father got his licence in one of the general amnesties way back when

about 20 years ago he was getting a replacement licence and the bloke behind the counter asked if he wanted to hold onto everything. Dad asked what he meant... apparently my dear ol' dad was licenced to drive anything, buses, articulated trucks, rigids, motorbikes, the whole shebang.

Enjoy your new found freedom on the roads and don't be too disparaging of us cagers!! :p:p:pac::pac::D;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

It comes from the 70's here in Ireland the motorbike was the main form of transport before paved roads. People used Motorbikes to go to the fair, go to the holy water wells, deliver babies and drive to the coast to make sure the normans weren't coming. In fact if you were caught intoxicated on a motorbike but could prove you were going to the fair ( by say having a chicken or lamb strapped to the pillion seat ) you were immune to prosecution. The word pillion actually comes from the ancient Gaelic word for Animal skin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Restricted to tricycles 79.3

https://www.ndls.ie/licence-categories.html

Spook_ie wrote: »

My three year old can ride a tricycle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

My three year old can ride a tricycle.

Not a motor trike he can't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭bladespin

Not a motor trike he can't

I bet he could.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

My father got his licence in one of the general amnesties way back when

about 20 years ago he was getting a replacement licence and the bloke behind the counter asked if he wanted to hold onto everything. Dad asked what he meant... apparently my dear ol' dad was licenced to drive anything, buses, articulated trucks, rigids, motorbikes, the whole shebang....)
    There was only one 'amnesty' - October 1979.

I suspect you father may have had his licences from the pre-driving test era - i.e. before 1964. (My mother has them all also).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

A member of my family exchanged her old Irish Paper license for a plastic one and also got the A1 (Restricted to Tricycles)

I think if you got your driving license before a certain date after that they split out tricycles as a separate category from the Car License.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

At one stage in the UK you could drive a three wheeler "car" such as a Reliant Robin on a motorcycle licence. Could that be it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Alun wrote: »
    At one stage in the UK you could drive a three wheeler "car" such as a Reliant Robin on a motorcycle licence. Could that be it?

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2013/si/6/made/en/print
    The Road Traffic (Licensing of Drivers) Regulations 2006 ( S.I. No. 537 of 2006 ) are amended—

(a) in Regulation 3(1), by inserting after the definition of “tricycle” the following:

“ ‘twinned wheels’ has the meaning assigned to it in Article 1(2)(b) of Directive 2002/24/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 18 March 20123 ,”,

If you got your license before Jan 2013 then when you renew it, you will have this Tricycle Category automatically added.

If you got your license after that then you won't have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

..the reason this has come up so much lately, even amongst people I know at work, is that motorcycles, or, as the EU calls theM: PTW's (Powered Two Wheelers) are what's known as a 'single track vehicle'. That is, that the front & rear are in the same line.

The confusion comes along when you have a 3rd wheel....is the 3rd wheel 'inline'...or not.... ?

The issue is that they've had to define the 'width' of that line - which has been determined as 460mm.

If the pair of wheels are 460mm apart or more, then technically it does NOT require a motorcycle licence (as it's not a 'PTW'), so can be drivern on a 'Car licence'. The latest issues of new (car) licences with 79.03 are just to specifically point that out (as there have been a lot of roadside conversations with police etc where confusion reigns)

So, so long as the front track is 460mm or more, you do NOT need a motorcycle licence to ride it. And be careful, manufacturers like Piaggio make these 3-wheelers in BOTH versions, so important to check which it is you're looking at....

Examples are the MP3 range from Piaggio/Vespa and the Tricity range from Yamaha, to wit:

01piaggio-mp3400.jpg?mode=max&quality=90&scale=down

Yamaha-Tricity-1_3021686b.jpg

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭TigerTim

galwaytt wrote: »
    ..the reason this has come up so much lately, even amongst people I know at work, is that motorcycles, or, as the EU calls theM: PTW's (Powered Two Wheelers) are what's known as a 'single track vehicle'. That is, that the front & rear are in the same line.

The confusion comes along when you have a 3rd wheel....is the 3rd wheel 'inline'...or not.... ?

The issue is that they've had to define the 'width' of that line - which has been determined as 460mm.

If the pair of wheels are 460mm apart or more, then technically it does NOT require a motorcycle licence (as it's not a 'PTW'), so can be drivern on a 'Car licence'. The latest issues of new (car) licences with 79.03 are just to specifically point that out (as there have been a lot of roadside conversations with police etc where confusion reigns)

So, so long as the front track is 460mm or more, you do NOT need a motorcycle licence to ride it. And be careful, manufacturers like Piaggio make these 3-wheelers in BOTH versions, so important to check which it is you're looking at....

Examples are the MP3 range from Piaggio/Vespa and the Tricity range from Yamaha, to wit:

Just got my tricycle license as well. Looking at the pics you quoted, the trace looks very narrow & probably not the required 460mm apart. Does that sound correct?.

T,

galwaytt wrote: »

Wait...so I can drive one of these now?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭TigerTim

I'm interested if anyone has views on this. I reckon they probably don't come under the trike heading/covered by the car licence but I could be wrong.

T.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

My Mrs doesn't have A(79.3) on her exchange licence, but should have. On the other hand she seems to have gained an A1. :confused:

Regardless, I still don't think she'd be up for driving my Reliant. :pac:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

TigerTim wrote: »
    I'm interested if anyone has views on this. I reckon they probably don't come under the trike heading/covered by the car licence but I could be wrong.

T.

They do as clearly pointed out above, as long as the track is greater than 460mm.

Advertisement