Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linux web browsing experiance

Options
  • 21-10-2019 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭

I tried Linux a long time ago. One of the things I remember was it had an ancient web browsing experience. (Chucky old font on the web pages. Big blue bar under the links.) Has that been improved? Will I now get nice soft text that is a match for Windows?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭rayzercork

modern linux distros are not as rough looking as they used to be say 10 years ago, and browsing on linux is just as good as windows. as far as fonts go theyre simple to change if you dont like one in particular and you can also install windows fonts if you feel like it. id suggest giving it another look, download a distro like peppermint os, mint or any of the ubuntu spins

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

From the distros I've used most major browsers like chromium and firefox look identical on windows systems I use at college. The only change I make is vertical tabbing when at home.

Any visual preferences one may have are probably distro/DE dependent. Here's 2 browsers side by side on my system.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

KDE used to ship with konqueror or something so maybe the browsing was a bit rough. I don't think that happens anymore. The Ubuntu flavoured distros come with firefox these days and as Robert pointed out, the differences are miniscule.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Haven't noticed any difference with web browsing on Linux compared to Windows or MacOS. All major browsers are supported on the distro I'm running on my MacBook Pro at the moment (Manjaro) and it's a nice experience. Give it a try! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Chrome, Firefox and Opera perfectly fine under current RHEL, Fedora and Ubuntu.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Smiles35 wrote: »
    I tried Linux a long time ago. One of the things I remember was it had an ancient web browsing experience. (Chucky old font on the web pages. Big blue bar under the links.) Has that been improved? Will I now get nice soft text that is a match for Windows?

I run Fedora 30. I use Opera and Chrome and the browsing experience is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭opus

Use Chrome on Windows at home & Linux (Fedora 30) at work, using the same account so all my passwords/bookmarks/extensions etc are identical on both. Also have a 2nd account at work so that I can keep things seperate with two instances of the browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Smiles35 wrote: »

It must be a very long time since you tried Linux .....

Just about everything is customisable and distros make their own decisions on what they prefer. Such are bound to not suit everyone ....

Chrome - Firefox - Palemoon on same page below

click and go full screen for best view

chrome-firefox-palemoon.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I use fedora and chrome and I change the default font to the Ubuntu font

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Worztron

I use Firefox ESR on Debian 10 and the font is perfect.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement
Advertisement