Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop - Kids Gaming & Browsing

Options
  • 19-10-2019 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

I'm back again looking for another laptop - this time for my son for Christmas (so no immediate panic to get it just yet if it would be better waiting.

Mainly used for web browsing and a little bit of gaming such as Roblox, Slitherio type gaming. I got advice here on a couple of laptops and they were great.

Can anyone please recommend something for me?
    The more reasonably priced the better as its for a child - but at the same time, needs to be useable for a bit of gaming ( such as above).
    Tia

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

What is the budget ideally? You'd want to be going Ryzen U series laptops rather than any Intel HD laptops at a budget price, they perform much better for light gaming scenarios. Best bang for buck I see is this. Can handle Roblox, Fortnite etc without issue.

If you're really looking for lower budget you could go used with warranty route to be honest, and get a Ryzen 3 laptop instead of the Ryzen 5 above. It's slower in all departments but is still fine for light gaming. You could spend under 300 here and buy a 4gb stick for 20 euro to double up memory. 4gb isnt enough these days for anything more than browsing/basic office type work. Most Ryzen 3 laptops dont come with 8gb memory without a large markup so yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Only

What is the budget ideally? You'd want to be going Ryzen U series laptops rather than any Intel HD laptops at a budget price, they perform much better for light gaming scenarios. Best bang for buck I see is this. Can handle Roblox, Fortnite etc without issue.

If you're really looking for lower budget you could go used with warranty route to be honest, and get a Ryzen 3 laptop instead of the Ryzen 5 above. It's slower in all departments but is still fine for light gaming. You could spend under 300 here and buy a 4gb stick for 20 euro to double up memory. 4gb isnt enough these days for anything more than browsing/basic office type work. Most Ryzen 3 laptops dont come with 8gb memory without a large markup so yeah.

Thanks a million for your reply.
    Ideally if I could get something around the€400ish that would be great... cheaper would be better but Id prefer not to go down the line of refurb and for the extra power I think itd be worth it for less hassle in the long run (maybe?!).
    I will take a look at the first one you suggested ... what are box.co.uk like? Ive bought from laptopsdirect before but never heard of box.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Only wrote: »
    Thanks a million for your reply.
    Ideally if I could get something around the€400ish that would be great... cheaper would be better but Id prefer not to go down the line of refurb and for the extra power I think itd be worth it for less hassle in the long run (maybe?!).
    I will take a look at the first one you suggested ... what are box.co.uk like? Ive bought from laptopsdirect before but never heard of box.

Box.co.uk are grand. They recently bought saveonlaptops.co.uk also.

Laptopsdirect have a similar price for a similar spec'd Acer. Both look grand

Scratch that. The acer model is HDD only, the SSD model is much better. Laptopsdirect are pricematching box.co.uk G7 model

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Only

Box.co.uk are grand. They recently bought saveonlaptops.co.uk also.

Laptopsdirect have a similar price for a similar spec'd Acer. Both look grand

Scratch that. The acer model is HDD only, the SSD model is much better. Laptopsdirect are pricematching box.co.uk G7 model

Excellent!! Thank you VERY much!!! Really appreciate all your help!

Advertisement