Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mounting Unit on Plasterboard Wall

• 22-10-2019 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

I have an 11kg bathroom unit that I need to mount on a tiled plasterboard stud partition wall.

The holes for fixing the unit (330mm c/c) mean that even if I locate a stud for one fixing, the second one will be just going through tile and plasterboard. I have some 10x50mm Molly wall plugs and screws which judging by the cover seem to be suitable for mounting directly onto plasterboard.

Any advice out there regarding the suitability of using these plugs to mount directly off the tile/plasterboard?

would I def need to locate at least one stud for stability?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

You'll be fine missing the stud. 11kgs, in this scenario, is nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,135 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

dodzy wrote: »
    ...until it gets stuffed with 20kg of toiletries.

Can you drill a second hole in the back of the unit so that two screws go into the stud?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Bartyman

Have used these and found them verygood https://www.geefix.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Tim76

Could I miss two studs though?

I plan use the 10mm diameter version of these guys...

https://www.woodies.ie/molly-8mm-nylon-plug-pack-of-10-1049469

Which according to the pack should be able to take the weight even when the missus fills it full of toiletries!

Lumen wrote: »

Can you drill a second hole in the back of the unit so that two screws go into the stud?

11kg is the empty weight alright. Don't know if she'll manage to fit 20kg of make up there but the weight will definitely be going north of 11kg.

The back of the unit is pretty flimsy so i would need to source another bracket from IKEA if i was to try and add a third fixing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,100 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I'd go for metal fixings rather than plastic for anything heavy.

This guy has a number of videos comparing different hollow wall fixings:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7x7wk8yeN2ZEJCo6BgP2ag/featured

Cheers loyatemu, will check that out later

Bartyman wrote: »
    Have used these and found them verygood https://www.geefix.com/

The missus could do with some of that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭cullenswood

I have something similar to put up and was wondering would the likes of these be a good solution??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,100 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I have something similar to put up and was wondering would the likes of these be a good solution??

yeah I have some fairly heavy stuff held up with those. Worth also buying the fixing tool as it makes them much easier to use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

20kgs of toiletries in a small cab physically could not happen.

The tiles add great rigidity. OP, you will be fine with the fittings you suggested, 100%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,135 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

20kgs of toiletries in a small cab physically could not happen.
    You haven't met my wife.

You haven't met my wife.

You sure :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Check the plasterboard thickness and that it's compatible with the fixings you use - or use fixings that work with all thicknesses. Some of our walls have unusually thin plasterboard that is not suitable for most hollow wall fixings so it's best not to assume.

I've looked into this a good bit and geefix seems to be the most secure choice, and also works with very thin boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,249 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

The missus could do with some of that

that explains the username...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,249 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

OP what size are the tiles?
    The bigger the tiles the better in this scenario as you are spreading the load more.
    Also how deep is the cabinet?
    typically the are pretty narrow so most of the weight is exerted as a shear force (which is where these fixings are strongest)

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Went with the 10x50mm Molly wall plugs and associated screws in the end. Found a stud for one fixing and the second one is just thru tile & plasterboard.

The missus is after packing out the cabinet with toiletries, I was surprised she managed to fit so much in there, but the unit seems rock solid. So far.

Advertisement