Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Coming off the clutch too fast in 1st and 2nd gear...

Options
  • 22-10-2019 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

Has anyone any tips, instructor has said we will work on it next lesson but I want to practice in between. In 3rd/4th/5th gear it's as smooth as a baby's bottom but in 1st and 2nd gear for some reason I'm coming up too fast and it's jerking.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Damienmac

I know when I started, I was told to bring the clutch up slowly. That doesn't fully explain what you need to do.

You actually bring the clutch up slowly to the bite point, hold it there(very much momentarily), and when the car speed is closer to the engine speed move slowly through the bite point.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

LorelaiG wrote: »
    Has anyone any tips, instructor has said we will work on it next lesson but I want to practice in between. In 3rd/4th/5th gear it's as smooth as a baby's bottom but in 1st and 2nd gear for some reason I'm coming up too fast and it's jerking.
    Try counting how long it takes you and extend it. I'd say a count of 3-4 will help you adjust the speed.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

When moving off and you find the biting point hold the clutch at the point while you accelerate. When I daft hold it I mean, if you’re happy with the height ie. you’re moving forward enough, keep it in that spot until the car is at least at walking pace. Once you’re there release it as you count 1-2-3. Repeat for 2nd going back onto the gas smoothly when the clutch is up around 70% (very approximate figure)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Just use a slow smooth action when removing you foot from the pedal.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

LorelaiG wrote: »

Couple of pieces of advice.

First of all shoes. The shoes you wear are actually quite important when learning to drive. If the soles are too thin it can put strain on your feet making it difficult to find the biting point because there are so many messages going from your feet to your brain all at once. If the soles are too thick you will have difficulty feeling the pedals at all, again making it difficult to judge how much pressure is needed to get the biting point.

Secondly, if you are stationary and put the car into first gear, without even touching the accelerator, gently lift your foot off the clutch. To do this your heel should be grazing the floor of the car for support (and this is where the sole thickness of your shoes is important for support). Doing nothing but lifting your foot off the clutch very very slowly, the car will inch forward. Once the car is moving engage the accelerator and your speed increases. This is how I move away from a stationary position all the time , ie from traffic lights.

What people dont realise is the car will move once in first gear EVEN WITHOUT the accelerator engaged, but this only happens once you lift your foot off the clutch and reach that all important biting point. This technique is terrific as it allow you to practise finding the biting point without having to worry about your accelerator foot.

The reason you can find higher gears with ease is because the car is already moving.

So to summarise, correct shoes are important to support your feet as you learn. Plus, siting stationary, engage clutch, put into first gear , handbrake off, slowly raise foot off clutch (heel on floor which might take getting used to), car will slowly inch forward , hey presto you found the biting point, then add some juice to increase speed. Do this over and over and over. BUT DONT TOUCH THE ACCELERATOR TILL THE CAR IS MOVING IN FIRST. Otherwise you'll confuse yourself. Good luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

There are LOADS of instructors in the UK that allow pupils to drive barefoot, it’s also allowed on test there, because you get a better feel for the clutch. Footwear can be important, not a great idea to wear platforms eg but not thin soles aren’t a huge issue imo.

OP, it’s important to not only hold the clutch at the biting point but to accelerate simultaneously. It IS possible to move off using only the clutch, after all it’s the clutch which drives the car.
    Controlling the clutch will help you move off smoothly. Using the gas will help you move off quickly. Doing both together will help you move off smoothly AND quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Thanks guys I've been practicing a bit and can definitely get it smooth. It's remembering to do it that's the problem ha. I'll get it before my test anyway. One month to go...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

what helped me was to put my foot on the pedal at an angle rather than straight ahead, allowing you to pivot on your heel more easily.

Advertisement